Author's Chapter Notes:
sorry for my lateness in this update--I had a huge writer's block over the weekend. Next chapter will be up soon, promise. Enjoy!
Reviews are always loved.
Chapter 19: Reunion

“Buffy!” Dawn shook her sister, trying to wake her up. Buffy just grumbled her response and burrowed her head under her pillow.

Dawn planted her hands on her hips. “BUFFY!” She yelled and Buffy shot up, wincing as the sunlight pierced her eyes.

“Ungh,” Buffy mumbled, rubbing her eyes and smoothing her rat’s nest hair. She really needed a shower and a brush, stat.

Dawn looked down at her sister expectantly, “Willow called. Angel, Cordy, Fred and Wes are here.”

At the mention of wedding guests, Buffy’s widened and she flew out of bed. “Oh god! Xander’s cousins!” She ran into the bathroom, locking the door and turned the shower on.

Dawn knocked on the door, “Buffy, wait! Xander’s cousins are staying at the Sunnydale Hotel.”

Buffy opened the door a crack looking suspicious, “They decided to use a hotel?”

Dawn shifted nervously, fiddling with a lock of chestnut hair, “Well…” she paused, biting her lip. “Spike gave them his suite.”

Why would Spike do that? Buffy wondered. Whatever, she still needed that shower, bad.
“Why would he…? Never mind, I’ll be out in fifteen.”

Buffy turned to shut the door when Dawn called from her room. “By the way Buffy, Spike’s staying here.”


Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.
Buffy viciously scrubbed at her skin, leaving reddened marks behind. Spike was staying here. In her house. Hell, in the room next door to hers! Frustrated, Buffy yanked her towel off the hook and ran into her room.
She hastily threw on a pair of jeans and a tank top with a sweater. Her hair, still damp, was pulled into a ponytail. The only thing missing was her boots.

“Dammit,” Buffy swore under her breath as she searched her room.

There was a knock on the door and Dawn called, “Come on! Let’s go!”

With a sigh, Buffy placed her hands on her hips. “Dawn have you seen those cute boots I just bought?”

Dawn glanced down at her feet and cleared her throat. “Possibly.”

Buffy opened her door, her eyes zeroing in on Dawn’s feet. Sure enough, her sister was wearing her brand new boots!

Buffy glared at her. “Off,” she commanded.

Dawn reluctantly pulled the boots off and handed them to Buffy who slid them on her own feet.

“Now, go find your own shoes and I’ll meet you in the car,” Buffy told her and went to start the car.

***************************

“How exactly did Spike end up staying at our house?” Buffy inquired, her eyes never leaving the road.

Dawn fiddled with the radio, “Well, Willow was talking to Spike and mentioned that Xander’s cousins were staying at your house and you weren’t that happy about it.”

“Hey!” Buffy interjected, “I never said that!”

Dawn rolled her eyes and continued, “Anyway, Spike offered up his suite and said he’d stay in the guestroom. Less hassle.”

Buffy stopped at the red light and glanced at Dawn, puzzled. “And Willow agreed?”

Dawn shrugged, “Yeah. Willow called me and I said sure, better than having Xander’s cousins with us.”

Buffy frowned, “Oh. I just thought maybe she would…” She trailed off, lost in her thoughts.

Why would Willow agree to have Spike stay with her? Did she forget all about her issues with Spike? Buffy wondered, her frown deepening. Realizing Dawn was saying something, Buffy tuned in.

“…I’m not sure if I really want to ask him or not.” Dawn finished.

“Uh…huh?” Buffy asked, parking the car near the Magic Box.

Dawn rolled her eyes in typical teen fashion. “Should I ask Josh to the wedding or not?”

Buffy locked the car and the two Summers women walked towards the Magic Box.

“Well, isn’t it kinda late? I mean the wedding is on Sunday,” Buffy asked hesitantly.
Dawn sighed and opened the door of the shop. “Maybe. Probably.”

Buffy followed her sister; silently praying Spike wouldn’t be there. As they entered, her eyes caught sight of bleached hair and leather. No such luck. She avoided looking in his direction and ran over to where the new comers were sitting.

“Hey Buffy!” Fred called, a big smile on her face. Her hair was straightened and her clothes more frilly, less jeans and a tee shirt.

“Wow,” Buffy commented, “you look amazing!”

Fred laughed, “So do you! I love your hair.” She leaned over to hug Buffy.

Buffy turned to see a man stand up and opened her mouth to introduce herself when she realized whom it was. “Wesley!”

He no longer looked so uptight, but more comfortable wearing jeans and a plain button down shirt. His shoes actually had scuffmarks on them. His hair was stylishly messy and Buffy was fairly certain that was Cordelia’s doing. A stubble covered his face and his glasses were gone.

“Whoa,” Buffy said simply and then grinned, “look who’s gotten a little more relaxed.”

Wes cracked a grin, “Must be LA.” The pair hugged briefly before a Buffy felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned to see Cordelia and Angel, both wearing smiles.

Buffy smiled back, “Hey!” She hugged them both before Dawn bounded over, smiling mischievously.

“Buffy, Anya told me to tell you that she found the strippers for tonight,” Dawn announced skipping away.

Angel raised his eyebrows, “Strippers?”

Buffy rolled her eyes, “You know Anya. She insisted it was tradition.”

Cordelia snorted, “Please, she just wants to milk her last night as an unmarried woman for all its worth.”

Buffy smirked, “And you didn’t?”

Angel turned to his wife, arms crossed. Cordelia glared at Buffy, “That was so unnecessary.”

Buffy’s gaze slipped past the couple in front of her to Spike who was talking to Gunn animatedly. Right, she told herself, time to confront him. She determinedly walked over to the two men.

“Hey Gunn,” Buffy greeted.

“Hey Buffy. How’s it going?” Gunn asked with a warm smile.

Buffy shrugged, “Pretty good. Do you think I could borrow Spike for a minute? I just have a quick question for him about our speeches.”

“Yeah, sure,” Gunn replied, “I gotta head out anyway. I promised Xander I’d pick up a few things.”

“See you later,” Buffy said.

“Later mate,” Spike added. He turned to Buffy, “What do-“

She cut him off, pulling him with a hard yank to the back room. She shut the door behind her and turned to him, a scowl firmly planted on her face.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?” She demanded.

“Doing what?” Spike asked defensively.

Buffy crossed her arms across her chest. “Staying at my house. Why? Is this some stupid way of making me hate you more?”

Spike was silent for a moment, his jaw clenched tight. “No,” he finally spoke, his voice low, “I’m trying to get you.”

“Well don’t,” Buffy snapped, meeting his eyes with a cold look. She spun around, pushing the door open without another word.

************************************

“…And we can put the presents on the dining room table,” Willow said, pointing to said table.

She and Buffy were setting up for the bachelorette party. So far, they had the streamers up, food and cake delivered, and CDs Anya asked Willow to make. Tara agreed to pick up Anya, Cordelia, Fred and the alcohol.

Buffy glanced at the clock, 9:00. The party officially started at 9:30 and the strippers were coming at 10:30, just enough time to get everyone buzzed.

“Buffy, can you hand me the tape? A streamer fell down,” Willow called from the living room and Buffy found the tape and handed to her.

“So,” Buffy began, “what made you decide to have Spike staying here?”

Willow winced visibly. “Okay, Buffy don’t be mad! You don't have to put up with Xander’s relatives, especially ones you’ve never met and you can have that talk with Spike.”

“Well what if I don’t want to? What if I’d rather just forget all this crazy stuff ever happened?” Buffy asked, her voice rising. She ran her hand through her hair, exhaling noisily.

Willow met her eyes and Buffy could see the seriousness there. “Buffy, I know you don’t want to, but that’s the point: if you really want it to be over you’re gonna have to talk to him.”

Buffy sat down on a chair, resting her elbow on the table, her hand on her cheek. “It’s just so awkward.” Buffy looked up at her friend, “He told me he’s staying here ‘to get me’. Whatever that means.”

Willow bit her lip. “Have you ever thought about, you know, giving him a chance?”

Buffy sat up straight. “No,” she said firmly, “I don’t want to be with him.”

Willow wisely remained silent and thankfully the door opened as the women all stumbled in.

Before heading into the living room where the party was getting started, Willow took out her phone and dialed a number.

“Hey Dawn?” Willow paused, “We’re doing Plan B.”

*****************************

Her conversation with Willow put Buffy on an edge and she gratefully accepted the drink Cordelia handed her.

“Thanks,” Buffy said and the pair clinked glasses.

“To Anya and Xander,” Cordelia proposed, “the weirdest couple ever.”

Buffy laughed, taking a sip of her drink. “Mmm…this is good. What’s in it?”

Cordelia shrugged, “Vodka and some kind of juice, not sure what.”

Buffy nodded absently, watching the women dance to the blasting music. The party was definitely going and soon the strippers would arrive. Buffy only hoped they were hot, she could use a distraction.

Buffy and Cordelia sat down next to Fred on the couch. None of the women really felt liked dancing at the moment.

“Fred, wanna drink?” Buffy asked, holding out her own.

Fred shook her head, pulling at her skirt, “Nah, drinking makes me too woozy.”

Cordelia smirked, “That’s the best part. Besides you’re gonna want to be a little woozy when the men come.”

Fred shook her head, “I’m not all that sure I wanna stay for that.”

Buffy squeezed Fred’s hand, “You have to stay, please. I’m not going to be jumping all over them either.”

Cordelia held her hands up in the air, “Hey, married woman here.”

Fred laughed, “It’s so weird, I remember when Buffy and Angel were like this golden couple in high school. Never really thought what it’d be like afterwards.”

Buffy nodded, “I know I didn’t. I kinda thought Angel and I would be married by now with the 2.5 kids on the way.”

Cordelia gave Buffy a look and she added hastily, “Hey, Angel’s all yours!”

“You know what else I always remember?” Fred said, reminiscing. “Spike and Buffy arguing all the time.”

Buffy swallowed, her eyes sliding to the floor.

“God!” Cordelia laughed, unaware of Buffy’s discomfort. “I totally remember that too! You guys would attack each other. Anya and I had a running bet on who’d kill who first. My money was on Buffy.”

Fred glanced at Buffy, seeing her uneasy expression. “Are you alright?” Fred asked, touching Buffy’s hand lightly.

Buffy instantly snapped back to attention, “Yeah, I’m fine! Just,” she paused, “need another drink.” She quickly stood up, heading for the bar area.

Buffy took a deep breath, trying to calm her nerves. It’d never occurred to her to wonder if Willow, Xander or Anya had said anything to the others about her and Spike. By the way Cordelia and Fred mentioned the arguing jokingly, she’d guess not.

Gulping two shots, Buffy headed back into the living room on unsteady feet. How many had she had anyway? At least four now, Buffy thought with a wince.

She plopped herself back down on the couch and kicked off her shoes.

“Where’s your drink?” Cordelia asked, twirling her own glass.

Buffy shrugged, not answering her question. “Hey,” she asked unexpectedly, “who wants to dance with me?”

Fred and Cordelia exchanged glances as Buffy stood up, wobbling slightly.

Fred spoke hesitantly, “Buffy…are you sure you’re okay?”

“Peachy!” Buffy said happily, starting to move to the beat. “Fred, dance with me please!”

Fred shook her head, “I don’t really dance.”

Cordelia pushed Fred gently. “Dance,” she commanded, “I’m going to the bathroom, I’ll join you in a minute.”

Fred reluctantly stood up and followed Buffy onto the dance ‘floor.’
After a minute or two of awkward dancing, Fred, with the help of a Cosmo, caught on.

The two danced to the fast songs and when a slower one came on, Buffy leaned against the brunette, hugging her.

“Fred,” Buffy said, slurring a little.

“Yeah?” Fred replied, pushing her hair back into a ponytail. She’d abandoned her sweater sometime during the second dance but she was still warm.

Buffy sighed and brought her mouth up to Fred’s ear to whisper. “Spike and I did it.”

Fred leaned back, frowning at Buffy. “You and Spike did what?”

“It,” Buffy explained, stressing the single word. Fred eased Buffy off the dance floor and back onto the couch.

“Honey, I’m not sure I understand…” Fred trailed off, her eyes widening. “Do you mean…IT?”

Buffy nodded slowly, “That’s what I was telling you.”

“Oh,” Fred said simply, trying to processes the words. “When…?”

“Prom,” Buffy replied, slouching into the couch. She let out a snort, “He says he loves me, isn’t that stupid?”

Fred was at a lost for words. “Um…no…I don’t think…” The doorbell cut off her stammering and Buffy sat up quickly.

“The strippers are here!” Anya squealed. Buffy jumped up to follow the gaggle of women running for door, leaving a very shocked Fred behind.

“Well,” Cordelia began, seating herself back on the couch. “This should be interesting.”
Fred nodded absentmindedly, still staring after Buffy. “Yeah,” she said softly, “it should be.”