Author's Chapter Notes:
as promised-chapter 23 today! Yay! All thanks to you wonderful reviewers and my speedy, awesome beta! Enjoy...only one or two chapters left.
Chapter 23: Together?
Previously:

“Buffy.”

She glanced up at Xander and he smiled, “Go tell him.”


He didn’t need to say it twice. Buffy ran out of the room, down the spiraling marble stairs and into the lobby, scanning the growing crowd.

“Buffy?” Anya called, moving towards her maid of honor. “I need you to find-“

“Where’s Spike?” Buffy asked cutting her off.

Anya looked mildly surprised as she pointed to the back doors. “He’s out there but I really need you to find Xander.”

“He’s upstairs, have Willow go get him,” Buffy answered quickly before squeezing past the guests coming in.

Outside, she looked around, hoping she’d see Spike reclining against the building like all those weeks ago but she didn’t see that head of bleached blonde hair.

Sighing, Buffy walked down the street a little ways, half-heartedly watching out for Spike. After a few minutes, she sat down on the curb, not caring her butt was probably all dirty.

She pressed her palms against her eyes, trying not to start crying. Logically Buffy knew she would see him again later that night and could tell him then, but something in her said it had to be now.

She breathed in deeply, taking her hands off her eyes and much to her surprise a lone figure was walking towards her. One with almost-white blonde hair: Spike.

Buffy jumped up and stood there as he slowly moved closer. He stopped for a minute, squinted and let out a “Bloody hell.”

Buffy winced. “Hey,” she said softly.

“They lookin’ for me?” Spike asked, his voice void of any emotion.

“Um…” Say it, she told herself.

Spike sighed, “Listen Summers, you want me out of your life? Fine. But it kinda works both ways so toddle off and let me be.”

Frustration bubbled in her. Here she was trying to apologize, to say those three little words and he was brushing her off.

“You are stupid!” She blurted out. Okay, not exactly the three words she’d been striving for.

Spike snorted. “Got that memo.”

Buffy just ignored his comment, continuing on with her rant. “You have stupid hair, stupid eyes, stupid clothes and a stupid jacket. A-and you talk stupid-what the hell is a ‘bint’ anyways? You talk in all these British words and no one knows what you’re saying! You’re unpleasant, you smoke, you drink, you’re stubborn ass and,” Buffy took a deep breath, “and I love you!” She hadn’t meant to add the ‘I love you’ part but they thankfully fell from her lips easily, like she’d never had trouble saying them before.

Spike froze, watching Buffy carefully, his mouth open. “Wh-what the bloody hell did you say?”

Buffy was panting lightly as a small smile quirked on her lips. “I love you, Spike.”

Spike threw his hands up angrily. “You can’t possibly be serious!”

Buffy bit her lip. “I know that wasn’t the most romantic way of saying it-“

Spike shook his head, clenching jaw tightly. “You can’t just bloody yank me around like I’m a fuckin’ dog on a leash, Summers.” He started walking past her back into the building.

Buffy reached out, pulling his arm to spin him around. “I’m not! Spike, I’m serious! I was talking to Xander about what love is and I realized everything I was saying I felt for you, with you.”

Spike stopped and tilted his head at her. “Why?”

Buffy looked at him, puzzled. “Why what?”

“Why now? What was it you were saying to Xander that induced this epiphany?” Spike’s voice was touched with sarcasm.

Buffy took a deep breath, trying not to let Spike’s derisive words hurt her. She had to explain, she just had to. “I was telling him that the person you love is the person you can be yourself with, whoever that is.” she took a step closer, “That’s how you make me feel Spike, like I’m me: Buffy Summers. No one has ever made me feel that way.”

Spike looked down at her, “Are you serious? No games, no regretting this?”

“No Spike. I love you,” Buffy replied honestly and Spike did the one thing he could do; he kissed her full on the lips.

***************************

After a few minutes of very nice kissing, Buffy pulled away reluctantly. “We gotta go back inside.”

Spike kissed her neck. “No we don’t,” he mumbled, sucking the flesh lightly.

Buffy groaned softly, trying to focus. “Yes, we do. Besides I want to tell everyone we’re, you know, together.”

Spike pulled back, a real smile gracing his face. “Yeah?”

Buffy nodded, returning his grin. “Yeah.” She pulled him down for one last kiss, and then took his hand.

“Time to face the bloody music,” Spike said, exhaling loudly.

They slipped back inside and Buffy picked up their joined hands, looking at Spike’s watch, 4:15.

“Shit,” Buffy hissed, “pictures!”

Spike swore under his breath and the two blondes moved as fast as they could with Buffy’s three-inch heels to the wedding room. They raced across the marble floor and down the carpeted hallway to the big maple wooden doors.

Spike reached out to open the door when someone opened it from the other side. It was Angel, who was looking annoyed.

“We’ve been looking for you guys. Where’d you go?” Angel asked. His gaze drifted to their connected hands. “Is there a reason you’re holding hands?”

Buffy turned to Spike, giving him a brief smile before facing Angel. “We’re together.”

Angel stared at them blankly. “Yes, you’re standing there together but hand holding?”

“We’re dating, you ponce,” Spike said loudly, his voice expressing his annoyance.

Buffy rolled her eyes, “Way to be subtle.”

“Hey,” Spike protested, “I wasn’t trying to be subtle.”

Angel, looking wildly confused, held up his hands. “Wait, let me get this straight. You,” he pointed to Buffy, “and Spike are…dating?”

“Yes,” Buffy replied slowly. She gripped Spike’s hand tighter, preparing for an onslaught questions and ‘are you crazy?’ remarks.

Angel frowned. “Since when?” he asked loudly.

Cordelia came up from behind him, placing a comforting hand on his shoulder. “Sweetie, don’t strain yourself. They just, I guess of now, started dating.”

Buffy shot Cordelia a grateful look while Angel stood there flabbergasted.

“You look a fish, mate,” Spike commented and Cordelia shot him a dirty look.

“How...when…” Angel attempted to question, glancing between the two blondes.

“Um…” Buffy began, glancing at Spike. How was she supposed to sum that one up?

All the sudden, Dawn and Willow ran over with huge smiles.

“Ha! I knew it!” Dawn squealed happily, “You two are so together!”

Willow, only a slight bit calmer, hugged Buffy. “I’m so happy for you.”

Buffy smiled, “Thanks. And see, it only took you to lock us up,” Buffy paused before adding, “Which, by the way, don’t ever do again.”

“Duly noted,” Willow nodded and gave her friend another hug.

“Locking up?” Angel cried, “You locked them up?”

Cordelia leaned over to whisper in Angel’s ear and after a second he let out a screech. “That was them?” he squealed, not sounding all that manly.

Cordelia patted his head. “Just file it away into the ‘never happened’ section of the brain along with that one time you saw your mom and dad-“

“Cordy, do not finish that sentence!” Angel cut her off with a warning look.

The others giggled at Angel’s expression.

“Hey!” the photographer exclaimed grumpily, “You doing this pictures or not?”

They all went back into their poses but Buffy and Spike lingered behind.

“God,” Buffy exhaled slowly, a smile on her lips, “I didn’t know telling them would feel so…freeing and so good.”

Spike smirked, “And see… nothing to be afraid of.”

Buffy nodded, “Yep, it was just me and my paranoid brain.” She reached up to plant a soft, promising kiss on his lips.

Spike groaned softly. “You had to do that didn’t you?”

Buffy gave him a smirk of her own. “Uh-huh. So,” she fiddled with the buttons on his shirt, “about tonight. Do you wanna come-“

“Hell yes,” Spike cut her off, his voice raspy.

Buffy pouted. “You didn’t let me finish.”

Spike kissed her pout. “God you’re adorable when you do that.”

“So tonight?” Buffy said hopefully, making sure he really wanted to come over.

“Of course, luv,” Spike replied, “In fact, I think I’ll stay for breakfast.”

Buffy winced. “My cooking sucks.”

Spike shrugged, pulling her closer. “I’ll cook.”

Buffy smiled up at him. “Wow. If I had any doubt before that you’re the man for me, it’s official. I love you!”

Spike gave her a look, “All because I can cook?”

Buffy nodded, biting her lip. “I really, really suck.”

“Well then,” Spike began, “I’ll make sure tonight is absolutely perfect and you’ll wake up to breakfast of your choice.”

“I like the sound of that,” Buffy said happily.

“Me too.” Spike said while planting a kiss on the top of her head, “Me too.”