Author's Chapter Notes:
WOW thanks all you readers and reviewers and thanks, of course, to my two betas-you guys are awesome!!! Leave a review-it's your last chance (hint hint) thanks again!
Chapter 25: The Epilogue

One year later…

“When are you going to be home?”

Buffy smiled into the phone and answered her boyfriend’s question. “I’m on my way right now. There was an accident on main.”

“You know what to do when you get here?” Spike asked and Buffy rolled her eyes.

“Yes. I’m supposed to look pretty and meet you at the Pavilion,” she paused, “so are you going to tell me where you’re taking me?”

“No,” Spike said firmly, “you can beg all you want, I’m not tellin’.”

Buffy pouted even though he couldn’t see her. “I couldn’t even get Dawn to tell me.”

Spike snorted. “Like I’d tell Nibblet! With her motormouth you’d know the second after I confided in her. Not bloody likely.”

“Yeah I would,” Buffy conceded and turned the car onto Revello Dr. “Okay, I’m almost there. I’ll see you soon. Love you.”

“I love you too baby,” Spike repeated and they hung up the phone at the same time.

Buffy felt warm a feeling in her tummy at the sound of those words. He could say them a million, gazillion times and she’d never get sick of it.

As soon as she parked the car, she ran inside bypassing her room in favor of the shower. She had an hour and a half to look so good Spike would loose it. She giggled at the thought. Not that it was so hard, Buffy reminded herself. Spike always wanted her.

Buffy stepped out of the shower with her skin soft and freshly scrubbed and her hair smooth and workable. She curled her hair into loose tendrils that framed her face, letting it fall naturally past her shoulders. She’d debated cutting it short a few months ago but Spike insisted she leave it long and Buffy submitted, only cutting off an inch or so.

Next, Buffy rubbed baby oil into her skin and painted her nails a burgundy shade, a variation of Spike’s favorite color. In her towel, Buffy skipped to her room and saw the wine colored silk dress sitting on the bed, neatly laid out.

It was simple yet the most gorgeous thing she’d ever worn. The dress clung perfectly to her curves while floating gently to the floor, grazing her toes. With the added height of her black strappy heels, it would carefully skim the ground, just as it should. The top of the dress dipped into a small ‘V’ in the front but much deeper in the back, revealing her bare back almost to the base of her spine.

Once in the dress, Buffy spun in front of the mirror, smiling wide at her reflection. She looked amazing, if she did say so herself.

She added some light makeup and a pair of silver drop earrings with a garnet stone. With one final look in the full-length mirror, Buffy smoothed the dress with her hands. As her hands moved down her stomach, she paused, cradling it slightly. Nervously, she bit her lip, turning to her side and straightened her spine.

Tonight, she promised herself, tonight she’d tell Spike. The very thought made her stomach flutter and Buffy quickly packed her small clutch with her phone and makeup, taking her leather jacket with her.

Buffy hurriedly drove to the Pavilion. Spotting Spike’s car, she pulled up along side it and parked. She stepped out of car, being sure to keep her coat buttoned. When they got to wherever Spike was taking her, she’d take the coat off. Hey, she had to have a surprise of her own didn’t she?

“Hello luv,” Spike greeted her with a soft kiss.

“Hey yourself,” Buffy replied, taking in his suit. She was impressed at the effort. Spike hated wearing suits or tuxes and the last time she’d seen him in either was at Xander and Anya’s wedding a year ago.

She’d also forgotten how sexy he looked in a suit.

“Ready to go?” Spike asked, taking her hand and opening the passenger door of his car for her.

“Yep,” she gave him a sly look, “are you going to tell me where we’re going now?”

“No,” he gave her a glare, “it’s a still a surprise. Didn’t anyone ever teach you the meaning of that word?”

Buffy shrugged. “I think I missed that lesson. All the waiting and anticipation makes me jumpy.”

“It’ll be worth it, I promise,” Spike told her as he turned the car on and backed out.

“It better be,” Buffy warned him, “surprises are never of the good.”

************************

“Oh my god,” Buffy breathed, craning her head to get a better view.

Spike smirked at her. “You like it?”

Buffy nodded. “Where’d you find this place?”

They were at a cozy yet beautiful restaurant hotel located on bluffs overlooking the ocean. Spike had reserved a table for two near the window where Buffy could see the waves crashing against the rocky shore. It was absolutely breathtaking.

“My editor suggested it as a way to celebrate my new book,” Spike said casually.

“Your new-“ Buffy began then squealed. “They published it?” she asked eagerly, her eyes wide.

Spike nodded, a smile forming on his lips. “Yeah, it’ll be officially released by the end of July.”

“Spike that’s fantastic!” Buffy exclaimed, squeezing his hand resting on the table, “I’m so proud of you.”

Spike squeezed her hand back, looking at her lovingly. “It’s all because of you, pet. Wouldn’t have had that inspiration of resurrecting Muffy if it weren’t for being with you.”

Buffy smirked, recalling her reaction to Spike’s idea for his sequel. “I can’t believe you actually went through with it, I thought you said you’d write that in just to make me happy.”

Spike chuckled. “Well that too but honestly it was a good idea.”

Buffy snorted. “It’s our life only, you know, vampified. Especially the whole part about Jake being in love with Muffy. You so put yourself in that novel,” she accused him playfully.

The blondes laughed and then Spike’s expression sobered. “Buffy,” he began seriously. “There’s something I need to tell you.”

Buffy instantly straightened, the butterflies in her stomach turning into bats. “I need to tell you something too.”

“You go first,” Spike told her, wondering what she was going to say.

“No,” Buffy protested, “You go. Mine isn’t that big of a deal.” Liar, a little voice in her head accused her but Buffy didn’t say anything out loud.

“Um…” Spike fidgeted nervously. “Buffy, I love you, so much.”

“I love you too,” Buffy replied, looking at him confused. Was he going to…no, no way would he break up with her, not now she told herself firmly.

Spike cleared his throat. “I was thinking lately that maybe…maybe we should think about the future, for us. I don’t know how you feel about…bloody hell,” he cursed, unable string his thoughts together.

Buffy stiffened. “Spike, are you trying to…break up with me?” she said the last four words so softly, her sadness clearly audible in her words.

Spike closed his eyes in shock and violently swore. “Bloody fuckin’ hell, no Buffy!”

Buffy regarded him coolly. “Then why are having so much trouble saying whatever the hell you’re trying to say to me?”

Spike clenched his jaw, wondering how everything was falling apart so fast. “I’m trying to Buffy but this is hard for me!”

Buffy shook her head disbelievingly. “What? What’s so hard?” she demanded.

“I’m trying to-“ Spike’s loud words were cut off by the piercing ring of his cell phone. Spike took it out, pressing the TALK button.

“What?” he snapped.

“Spike? It’s me Angel.”

Spike frowned. Since when did Angel call him?

“What’s going on?” he asked warily.

“Cordy is in labor and I’m stuck at the LAX. Can you get to the hospital? I’ll be there as soon as I can but she doesn’t really have anyone right now.” Angel’s voice was shaking with desperation and Spike had no choice but to agree.

He clicked the phone off and sighed, rubbing the bridge of his nose. “We gotta go to Sunnydale Memorial. Cordy is in labor and Angel’s in LA.”

Buffy’s eyes widened and she stood up, shrugging her jacket on. “Okay, let’s go.”

Spike followed her, his one hand grasping the velvet box in his pocket hoping he’d have the chance to say what he really wanted to.

***************************

The ride back was silent and Buffy spent most of the time soothing Cordelia via the phone to reassure her that they’d be there as soon as possible.

This was a bad time for Cordelia to be in labor, Buffy thought, feeling sorry for her friend. She was stuck in Sunnydale away from her usual doctor and giving birth without her husband.

“We’ll be there soon,” Buffy repeated and she heard Cordelia moan once again.

By the time the arrived, Cordelia had been moved into a private room and a nurse escorted Buffy and Spike there.

“Hey Cordy,” Buffy greeted her friend and walked over to hold her hand reassuringly.

Cordelia’s face was glistening with a sweat, pieces of hair sticking to her forehead. “Hey,” she panted out and tried to give Buffy a smile.

“Breathe sweetie,” Buffy said sympathetically.

“It’s getting…kinda hard to,” Cordelia replied and groaned as another contraction hit her. She gripped Buffy’s hand so hard, she thought it would break. Finally Cordelia calmed down a little, her hand loosening its tight hold. Buffy wiggled her hand out and winced.

“Spike,” she hissed, “find out where Angel is.”

The doctor walked in and pulled on her rubber gloves, giving the three a cheery smile. “Well Cordelia, let’s see how far you are along!” She proceeded to lift Cordelia’s legs up and pushed the gown out of the way to gain access.

Spike blanched. “I’ll call Peaches,” he mumbled and almost ran out of the room. There was something very wrong about seeing your cousin’s wife being prodded down there.

Buffy ignored Spike’s comment, trying to coach Cordelia through her breathing exercises as best as she could. Though Buffy had only gone with Cordy a handful of times to her Lamaze classes, the basics stuck with her and for that Buffy was grateful.

“Breath in, breath out,” she commanded, attempting the exercise herself.

Cordelia copied Buffy, her breathing more ragged and shallower. Then another contraction crept up on her and once again Buffy was gritting her teeth against Cordelia’s powerful grip.

Angel, Buffy thought, you better get your ass down here soon.

*****************

An hour later, Spike was pacing nervously out in the waiting room. Angel had called a few minutes before to say he was only about twenty minutes away from the hospital.

Buffy hadn’t come out of the room in over forty-five minutes and Spike was very reluctantly to go back in there. Besides, he wasn’t family and the staff had grudgingly let Buffy in because Angel wasn’t there yet.

Spike sat down and tried to read of the old issues of The New Yorker but couldn’t focus. His thoughts were mostly concentrated on the question he wanted to ask Buffy.

He couldn’t believe he’d completely buggered up the whole ‘nice evening out’ deal. Buffy had looked so stunningly beautiful in that dress. The way it had clung to her body…it’d taken every bit of his self control not to take her right then and there.

And now judging by how well the evening had begun, Spike surmised that it had been his fault. He couldn’t just say it, no he had to do the whole soddin’ speech thing first, Spike thought bitterly.

“Spike!”

He looked up to see a distressed Angel run through the doors.

“Where’s Cordy?” he asked breathlessly.

“In room 302. I thought you said you were twenty minutes away?” Spike asked, puzzled.

“Yeah well, I wasn’t exactly thinking about the whole speeding thing at the time,” Angel admitted and the two men briskly made their way to Cordelia’s room.

Buffy stepped out just as Angel opened the door and gave him a tired look. “She’s all yours.”

Spike stared at his girlfriend. Her hair was limp, her makeup worn off and her she looked like she was going to fall asleep any minute. God she was the most beautiful thing he’d ever seen. As the thought ran through is mind, Spike knew exactly what he had to do.

Buffy pulled her hair out of the ponytail elastic the doctor had lent her and ran her fingers through her hair.

“Hey,” Spike said and hesitantly pulled her closer for her hug. Buffy stepped into his embrace and rested her head on his shoulder.

“I’m sorry luv,” Spike told her and the pair walked down the hallway, their hands loosely interlocked.

Buffy gave him an exhausted smile. “I’m sorry too. I shouldn’t have overreacted. I just thought…” she trailed off as Spike let go of her hand and got down on one knee.
“Spike, what are you doing?” she hissed.

“Buffy,” he said, staring intently into her eyes. “I love you. I love your sense of humor, your wit, your smile and I want to spend the rest of my whole soddin’ life with you,” he paused watching Buffy’s shocked expression as he pulled out the box that had been burning a hole in his pocket all night. “Will you marry me?”

For a moment, Buffy simply stared down at him, her eyes round as saucers, her mouth open. Then her lips curled upward into a blinding smile. “Of course you big dummy!”

Spike’s own wide smile overtook his face and he stood up, placing the square cut diamond ring on Buffy’s finger. He picked her up, spinning her around before soundly kissing her.

A clapping alerted the two blondes and they pulled apart to see a few nurse clapping for them.

Buffy then remembered her own news and pulled back slightly. “Spike, there’s something I need to tell you and I’m not sure how you’ll react.”

“Just tell me,” Spike urged, clasping her hands in his.

“I’m,” Buffy took a deep breath, “I’m pregnant.”


*******************************************************

Five years later…

Willow cautiously let opened the front door to the Summers-Giles’s home to see a hugely pregnant Buffy waddling after an angry looking Spike.

“No! I’m not going now Spike!” Buffy almost screamed.

“You bloody well are!” Spike shouted back, “You’re in labor!”

“So?” Buffy demanded, yanking her overnight bag out of his hands. “My water hasn’t broken yet!”

Spike yanked the overnight bag back. “All the more reason for you to go now!”

“You’re being stupid!” Buffy yelled again, following Spike into the kitchen.

“O-kay,” Willow said softly, making her way into the living room. “I’m just gonna-“

“Auntie Willow?” A sweet little voice sniffled and Willow looked at the couch to see a small girl sitting there, crying.

“Oh, sweetie,” Willow said sympathetically, “What’s wrong?”

The girl sniffled again, wiping at her snotty nose. “Mommy and daddy are fightin’.”

Willow couldn’t help but break out into a small smile. “Honey, that’s what mommies and daddies do sometimes.”

“I know,” the girl admitted, twirling with one blonde pigtail. “But daddy said ‘bloody’.”

Willow gave a mock frown. “Well, we’ll have to tell him that’s naughty, right?”

The little girl nodded, tears still falling down her face.

“Honey,” Willow, scooted closer to the girl, pulling her onto her lap. “Mommy and daddy don’t mean anything by fighting. In fact,” Willow lowered her voice, “Daddy and mommy used to fight all the time before they got married. That’s just what they’re like. That doesn’t mean they’ll ever stop loving each other or you.”

“Really?” the girl said hopefully.

“Absolutely,” Willow nodded firmly then broke out into a mischievous grin. “Katie, did I ever tell you about ‘The Ice Cream Incident’?”



THE END


again-thanks to everyone who has been reading this-you are all amazing! Look out for my new story coming soon...it's gonna be 1st person (Buffy POV) and my first time doing so!