Author's Chapter Notes:
thanks for the reviews, keep them coming! thanks to my beta as well!
Chapter 8: Confusion

Spike’s agreement to be the best man spurred the happy couple into leaving for spontaneous “orgasm time” leaving Buffy incredibly bored and alone.

She discretely surveyed the book signing with curiosity, making note of the masses of women who were clearly devoted to Spike’s book. Not that she cared, Buffy added quickly.

“Whoa, check out the line!” Buffy spun around to see Willow standing over the table eyeing the crowd with Tara in tow. Buffy glanced over her shoulder. “Yeah, I guess it’s pretty big.”

Willow arched a brow at her friend, “You guess? Buffy, the line is out the door.”

Buffy shrugged, feigning disinterest. A part of her really wanted to read it, but she wasn’t about to give Spike the satisfaction of interest in his book AKA his porn novel.

“I’m just glad Spike signed my book yesterday,” Willow commented and Tara nodded in agreement. “Looks like he might need more than two days for the signing.”

Willow smirked, “No doubt Anya’ll have something to say about that.” Then she looked around the Magic Box with a puzzled expression.

“Hey, I thought Xander and Anya were going to be here this afternoon.”

Buffy nodded, “They were but then Xander asked Spike to be the new best man which prompted Anya’s happiness and need for sex.” Buffy made a face at the mental picture accompanying her words.

“Figures, does she-” Willow stopped mid-sentence, her eyes wide. “Whoa! Be kind, rewind. Spike’s going to be the best man?”

“I thought Jesse was,” Tara chimed in, looking just as confused. The couple sat down opposite Buffy anticipating her explanation.

“Jesse cancelled, something about a business trip. Xander decided to ask Spike ergo new best man.”

Willow looked dubious, “In the space of ten minutes?”

Buffy shrugged, “That’s Anya. She insisted on Xander finding someone today.”

Willow shook her head, “I love that girl, but…”

“I know,” Buffy and Tara nodded in unison.

“But,” Buffy began thoughtfully, “they work so well together. I can’t picture a Xander without an Anya, or vice versa.”

Tara nodded, knowing exactly what Buffy meant.

“And to think it began with senior prom,” Willow laughed. “God, Xander was petrified when she came up to him and said ‘I need a date. Go with me.’”

Tara giggled and Willow squeezed her lover’s hand.

Buffy’s gaze drifted to the clock and she swore under her breath, “Damn. I have to go get Dawn from cheerleading practice.” She quickly gathered her things and headed for the back door.

“Bronze tonight?” Willow called, struggling to be heard over the din.

“Yep,” Buffy replied loudly, popping the ‘p.’ She managed to squeeze herself between two rather large women and got to the door.

Strangely, she found herself turning around for one last glance at Spike, who was sitting at his table. He happened to glance up and gave her a quick flash of a smile and wave. Her stomach fluttered and a warmth spread through her body at the sight of that grin. Buffy meekly waved back and darted out the door.

She hurriedly made her way to her car, trying to ignore her mind’s replay of his heart-racing smile.

***********************

“Buffy, I thought we were doing something tonight, just us,” Riley said through the phone, sounding slightly hurt.

Buffy frowned, “When did I say that?”

Riley sighed and Buffy could picture him shaking his head as he muttered “Never mind.”

She knew she should say something about rescheduling, but at the moment she honestly didn’t feeling like dealing with it.

“It’ll be fun. Besides, what’s wrong with hanging out together with the gang?” Buffy asked him. She cradled the phone next to her ear and fished through her closet, trying to find something to wear.

“Will Spike be there?” Riley asked abruptly. Buffy resisted the urge to groan out loud. Riley clearly had some unidentified issue with Spike after speaking less than ten words to him. He denied it of course, but Buffy could hear the distaste in his voice.

“Yes,” Buffy replied with a small sigh. “I don’t know why he wouldn’t; he is a friend of ours.” Buffy said pointedly.

She swore she heard him mutter, “Not mine” but overlooked it, not wanting to press the issue.

“Look, if you don’t want to go, fine, but I promised Wills I would go,” Buffy said, her annoyance giving an edge to her voice.

Riley was silent for a moment as Buffy waited for his response.

“I’ll be late.” He said shortly and hung up the phone. Buffy knew she should be angry at his gruffness, but pushed it away.

She’d deal with it later she decided, pulling out a pair of red strappy heels. Now if only she could find her new black pants…her eyes narrowed.
“Dawn!” Buffy bellowed, “Did you take my new pants?”

***********************

There was a live band at the Bronze, which was rare for a Monday night, but not unwanted.

Buffy maneuvered her way through a large group of hormone-driven teenagers and passed several couples making out on the couches or under the stairs.

She finally spotted her friends near the bar, all near the bar, drinks in hand, laughing at Willow who appeared to be reenacting a scene from high school.

As Buffy came closer she picked out pieces of their conversation.

“…and then she grabbed his ass.” Willow finished and they roared with laughter.

“Hey guys,” She greeted. “What’re you talking about?”
Willow, still chuckling, took a sip of water as Xander motioned for Buffy to take a seat.

“Xander and Anya’s first date. Remember, Xander was so terrified he wanted us as back up?” Willow said and a small giggle escaped.

Anya looked at Xander with a mixture of surprise and adoration, “You were scared?”

Xander nodded. “In the pee-in-your-pants kinda way,” He admitted.

“Awww, that’s so sweet,” Anya sighed and kissed her fiancé soundly on the lips then whispered something in his ear that made him stumble out of his chair, eagerly following her to the bathroom.

The rest of the group stifled their laughter at the couple’s antics.

Then Willow turned to Buffy. “Where’s Riley?” She asked.

Buffy stared down at her fingers, eyeing her chipped pink nails. “Um, he’s going to be late. I think.”

Willow heard the reservation in Buffy’s voice and didn’t press, but secretly wondered what had happened between the seemingly happy couple.

“Summers, want a drink?” Spike asked, breaking through her muddled thoughts.

Buffy glanced up in surprise at Spike’s offer. “Uh, sure. I’d love a Cosmopolitan.”

Spike gave her his trademark smirk and winked, “Just don’t get pissed on me luv. I can only handle one night of listening to you puke your guts out.”

Buffy’s mouth dropped open and Willow’s eyebrows shot up.

“Pissed huh?” She asked teasingly, watching her friend’s eyes shift away.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Buffy said primly, catching the mischievous look in Spike’s eyes.

“Course not pet,” He responded solemnly. “I’ll get that drink for you.”

As soon as Spike was out of earshot, Willow’s arm whipped out and clutched Buffy’s, her nails digging into her friend’s skin.

“Ouch,” Buffy responded, trying to pull away from Willow’s iron grip.

“You were drunk with Spike? When?” She demanded.

“It was at your Halloween party junior year. And it’s not a big deal. We just talked, me sounding like an idiot, and then I almost puked on him,” Buffy explained with a huff. “Nothing happened.”

Unlike at the prom, a little voice reminded her sweetly, but she knew by now to ignore that voice.

Willow had a look of recognition on her face. “Oh, that was you who left the bathroom in a mess?”

Buffy rolled her eyes, “Who else would get that drunk? That’s me- Stupid Buffy.”

“You’re not stupid,” Tara interjected, earning her a thankful smile from Buffy.

“You’re sweet. A liar, but sweet,” Buffy told her, causing Tara to giggle.

“Ooh!” Willow squealed, grabbing her girlfriend’s hand. “I love this song. Let’s dance!” Tara agreed and followed her out to the dance floor. Willow flashed a grateful grin to Buffy, conveying her apology for leaving her there alone.

Buffy watched them slow dance, looking serene and completely oblivious to their surroundings. She sighed, they were so happy. It made her realize it had been ages since she and Riley had ever danced together that way.

All they seemed to do lately was not talk and have sex. And it wasn’t like the latter was all that satisfying, Buffy admitted to herself.

“The Wicca lovers go off too?” Spike asked and Buffy jumped slightly.

“They’re just on the dance floor,” She explained then frowned at his empty hands. “Where’s my drink?”
Spike motioned to the Cosmo in front of her with a ‘duh’ look and Buffy flushed, feeling extremely stupid.

“Oh,” She grabbed the glass and took a small sip. “Thanks.”

Spike shrugged, “No problem.” He took a gulp of his beer and the two sat in silence, watching the dancers.
Buffy was contemplating leaving since Riley was nowhere to be seen when Spike suddenly asked, “Wanna dance?”

Surprisingly, she nodded in agreement. Buffy set her drink down and then walked with Spike to the edge of the dance floor.

For a moment they stood their awkwardly, enough to make Buffy begin to have second thoughts.

Was she crazy? This was the same guy she had told that all they could be was good friends, and now, only a day later, they were going to slow dance.
Which meant intimate contact. Which meant thoughts going nowhere good.

Then, lightening-fast, Spike pulled her close, resting his hands lightly on her hips and Buffy obligingly wrapped her arms around his neck.

She knew they shouldn’t, not with their new, fragile friendship and their sensitive past, but it was just an instinct to sway ever-so-lightly with him. To feel his body close, but not quite touching hers. The desire to move closer surged through her but she resisted the impulse, barely.

Buffy swallowed her feelings and finally risked a glance at Spike’s face.

He was staring down at her intently and as soon as their eyes met she shivered.

Then her gaze shifted slightly to see Riley staring at them with barely-hid irritation.

Buffy pulled away from Spike, avoiding looking at him, and walked over to Riley.

“Hey,” She said cheerfully, striving to sound casual.

“Hi,” Riley replied and pressed a harsh kiss against her lips. Buffy squeaked at the sudden invasion and pushed him off.

Riley blinked, “Something wrong?”

Buffy knew he was just being possessive, she knew he’d seen them dancing and that he didn’t like it at all.
Spike walked up behind her and gave Riley a nod and a “Hello.”

Riley’s reply was stiff and Buffy winced, knowing she had to keep the two men away from each other.

“Honey, do you want to go?” Buffy asked, silently pleading for him to agree.

Riley nodded, not taking his eyes off Spike who was staring straight back with obvious dislike.

“Bye, Spike,” Buffy said and pulled Riley away. She stopped by the table and grabbed her leather jacket before taking his hand and exiting the club.

As soon as they were out of the club away Riley opened his mouth.
“I really don’t like him Buffy.”

Buffy snorted, “Really? I couldn’t tell.” She picked up her pace, wanting to end the night and stop all the confusing feelings within her.

Riley clenched his jaw. “I mean it Buffy. The way he looks at you…” He trailed off and Buffy was thankful he didn’t propose the one thing she really didn’t need to hear.

“We’re friends.” She told him. “Barely even that. We hated each other in high school. We constantly rubbed each other the wrong way and we never get along.”

Riley stared at her for a moment and then in a quiet voice said, “Maybe that’s what it used to be.”

At his words, Buffy broke out into a laugh. “Trust me. That’s the furthest thing from the truth. We’ll never get along. It’s how we work, Riley.”

A rush of comfort accompanied her words and Buffy laughed again.
What had she been getting all worked up about? What she was saying made perfect sense; she and Spike could never be anything other than friends, if that. All those weird feelings, that one night…they were just flukes.

Feeling reassured by her words Buffy gave Riley a soft kiss goodnight.

“Are you sure you don’t want me to stay over?” He asked softly, caressing her waist.

She shook her head, not feeling like having him over but telling him instead she was too tired.

“I’ll see you tomorrow,” Riley promised and with one last kiss walked off into the balmy night.

Buffy shut the door with a sigh and headed for bed. Exhaustion had caught up with her and she desperately wanted a good night’s sleep.