Author's Chapter Notes:
All-human, leave a review-it's always great!
Thanks to Lauren-my beta!
Chapter 2: Sunnyhell

Six weeks after Xander and Anya’s startling engagement, Anya had dived into the wedding plans, taking Buffy and Willow with her.

“What about these dresses?” Anya asked, pointing to hideously ugly pink princess gowns in the magazine on the table.

Willow glanced at Buffy, “Well maybe something less…” She trailed off.

“Frilly,” Buffy jumped in, “Bridesmaids should wear something simple so everyone’s looking at the bride,” Buffy informed her.

“Oh, that’s me!” Anya said cheerfully, “I’m a bride!”

Dawn, who had been working on her math, suggested Anya should have a black and white wedding.

“I thought about that, but it didn’t seem festive enough.”
Anya perused through the bridal magazine once more and pointed to some equally hideous orange taffeta dresses, “Oh aren’t these great?”

Buffy, Dawn and Willow could barely contain their horror. “Maybe you should look for something more…darker and less prom-y,” Buffy suggested meekly.

Anya looked confused, “What’s wrong with these?” She pointed to the various dresses Willow and Buffy had been rejecting.

“Nothing it’s just,” Buffy paused, “Never mind. It’s your wedding, go ahead.”

Willow leaned towards Buffy. “If I get stuck in something radioactive, I’m killing you, best friend or no,” Willow whispered.

Buffy winced; she didn’t really want to be radioactive girl either.

“Oh! How about candy apple green?” Anya queried gleefully.

********************************

“I can’t believe your ass is going to be in that!” Faith Evans, Buffy’s friend and co-worker, hooted at the picture of Anya’s latest bridesmaid dress.

Buffy rolled her eyes, yanking the picture out of Faith’s hands. “It’s not official yet.”

The pair was walking towards the nearest food establishment during their lunch hour and Buffy had reluctantly showed Faith her dress.

Faith, a beautiful, curvy brunette, had gone to Sunnydale with Buffy and her friends, but hadn’t really hung out with them. She had been closer to Spike than any of them. During the summer after graduation, Faith went to jail for a few months for robbing a local store. After she was released, she changed her ways and became a helper at Sunnydale High for troubled students.

Despite their rocky start, Buffy and Faith were able to begin to get along and now had progressed to friends. Though they still clashed, Buffy had come to respect Faith’s outspoken advice and her ability to put the truth out there even when it hurt.

Like now.

“Anya’s gotta be crazy to think anyone wants to wear a dress like that,” Faith said with another shudder at the picture.

Buffy shrugged, “It’s her wedding.” Buffy had given up on subtly influencing Anya’s decision and tried to remember it was just one day, just one dress; it was the marriage that was important.

Faith shook her head, “Seriously, that girl is wack.”

“Well, at least I’ll see everyone from high school. Even Oz is coming from Tibet,” Buffy said positively.

“Really? Red tweaking?” Faith asked, cocking an eyebrow.

Buffy didn’t answer until they were inside the small pub. Immediately, Faith scoped out the guys and winked at the cuties. Buffy rolled her eyes at Faith’s antics.

“I don’t know,” Buffy finally said as she and Faith sat down. “I mean, Wills knows he’s coming, so no surprises there. And…I think she’s really over him.”

Faith laughed, “She better be if she’s gonna be macking on girls now!”

Buffy stared, dumb-struck at Faith, who called over a waiter and ordered a beer and a cheeseburger.

“B, what you want?” Faith asked.

“Uh,” Buffy shook herself out of her stupor, “water and a Caesar salad.” As soon as the waiter left, Buffy grabbed Faith’s arm.

“What are you talking about!?” The blonde exclaimed. Faith gave Buffy a ‘duh’ look. “Willow. Tara. Come on, you don’t see it? Little Red Riding Hood ain’t driving a stick anymore,” Faith explained slowly.

Buffy sat there in confusion. Her mind replayed all the times she’d seen Willow and Tara together. Slowly, her mind picked out all the little gestures she’d never really thought much of: a peck on the cheek here, a bit of hand-holding there… and the way they smiled at each other a lot. They were like two people in love.

“Oh my god. I can’t believe I never noticed! I can’t believe Wills didn’t tell me!” Buffy exclaimed, feeling hurt. Her best friend couldn’t trust her enough to tell her that she was in love.

Faith gave her a sympathetic look, “Sorry B, I thought she told you.”

The waiter came back with their food and Faith eagerly dug into her burger while Buffy just stared at her salad.

Faith, noticing Buffy’s hurt look, added, “It’s not like she didn’t want to tell you. She’s probably trying to get used to it herself.”

The blonde sighed, “Maybe. I just don’t get why she couldn’t have at least, you know, expressed the possibility.”

Faith was at a loss, “I don’t know B, but maybe you should ask her about it.”

They were silent for a moment and Buffy began eating her salad.

“So,” Faith asked, breaking the silence, “Is Spike going to be there for the wedding? Man, I haven’t seen Billy in ages.”

Buffy promptly choked on a piece of lettuce, coughing uncontrollably. Faith slapped her on the back a few times and handed Buffy her water. She took it gratefully, taking big gulps.

“Why do you ask?” Buffy recovered, trying to sound nonchalant.

Faith gave her a puzzled look, “Just wondering.”

Buffy swallowed, “Well I guess he is. I mean, he’s a friend of Xander and Anya’s.”

Faith leaned forward and inspected Buffy’s flushed cheeks and shifty eyes, “You guys do the nasty or something?”

Buffy’s eyes bugged out, “Who? Me and Spike!” She let out a high-pitched laugh, “We hate each other Faith, remember?” God, Buffy thought, I’m the worst liar.

Faith nodded slowly as if she wasn’t sure whether to believe Buffy or not, “Yeah. Right. Guess we’ll see him at the wedding.”

“Right,” Buffy confirmed, avoiding looking at Faith directly, “At the wedding.”

I really hope not, Buffy mentally added.

************************

Spike Giles sped along the barren road, radio blasting as he sang along with it. He took a huge swallow of liquor.

He was heading back to Sunnydale after four years. He’d left after graduation to attend Columbia University, stayed in New York and now Spike was finally making it somewhere. He’d published his book which had been a success. He had a close group of friends in New York, but here he was, headed back to Sunnyhell to promote his book.

His uncle, Rupert Giles, had called asking Spike to set up a book signing at the Magic Box. Though Spike had to admit, he would like to see his friends from high school again, with the exception of his ex-girlfriend, Drusilla. And, a little voice in his head reminded him, he really wanted to see a certain little blonde.

Bugger it, he thought, as he pressed down on the gas pedal, swerving slightly in his intoxicated state.

The ‘Welcome to Sunnydale’ sign loomed ahead and Spike couldn’t resist. He grinned and drove straight over the sign, feeling the satisfying crack of the board snapping beneath his wheels.

He jerked the car to a stop and got out, surveying his surroundings. Same old bloody Sunnyhell.

“Well, if it isn’t home sweet home,” Spike drawled. He crushed his cigarette out and gulped down the remaining Jack Daniels.

Yeah, he thought drunkenly, this is going to be fun.