Author's Chapter Notes:
This is something new for me. A kind of present day high school drama/romance.
Please give it a read!
HIGH SCHOOL DRAMA


Summary: Well, I’m not going to give a lot away in this prologue and first chapter. I will say this: This is a high school fiction and I hope its original enough.

Here’s a quick run down: Buffy is the ultimate high school princess. She’s beautiful; smart; popular with the most popular crowd and more then anything? She’s dating the all time high school jock Riley Finn.

However…..there’s a part of Buffy who longs for something more in her life. Something a little more sweet yet passionate from her past. Just ‘who’ is this guy from her past that haunts her dreams? Come on now, we all know who it is. Just how does he fit into Buffy’s present and future?

Spike is the ultimate ‘punk’ bad boy; or is he? A part of him hates what his dream girl, Buffy, has become; but a part of him wants her more then anything on earth.

Sigh…..high school drama; angst and passion. It is the things that classics are made from (Romeo and Juliet?) and for anyone cynical enough? I have the answer for you: Love makes the world go round.


Chapter 1: ‘Act I: Memories’


Buffy Summers stood, by herself as usual, watching her boyfriend, Riley Finn shoot another round of pool. The Bronze was filled to capacity, even for a Friday night.

Although the Bronze was the ultimate place for all of Sunnydale’s most popular crowd to hang in. It did attract the ‘others’ that Buffy’s socially hierarchy group; the preppies, jocks and cool nerds of acceptance might usually look down on.

People like, uhm, say William ‘Spike’ Giles and his beautiful but odd younger sister, Drusilla. Their equally pale, goth-like hangers on such as Oz, aka Daniel Osbourne; Oz’s sometime girl, Veruca; Veruca’s little brother, Mitch. Mitch had a little friend named Amy and she in turn had indoctrinated her older brother, Jesse into their rag-tag gang.

There were others, of course, in this gang of sorts that Spike held court over. Ones like Robin Wood; a kind of quasi-punker with the look of a rap star. Robin’s girlfriend Kendra had been Sunnydale High’s sophmore Homecoming princess and that counted for a lot, of course. Especially with the preppies, jocks and debs that ran the school with iron fists.

So, in the long and the short of things; even though Spike Giles and his growing band of gothic geeks were hedging on the outside of the really popular group? Just the fact that Kendra was a member of their little clan counted for points. Even if it was because she had fallen hopelessly in love with Robin Wood and he with her. Love, alone, counted for a lot of points on the high school metric scale, and the Kendra/Robin combination didn’t hurt the goth/geek squad’s social standing one bit.

It helped, of course, that the leader formerly known as William Giles, now Spike Giles, had once been the best friend of one Buffy Summers. In fact, it was a well known fact that one Spike (formerly William) Giles had been Buffy’s first crush; once long ago when the kiddies had been little more then twelve-years-old each.

Now, it was a ‘little’ known fact that it was William (at the time) Giles who had given Buffy Summers her first real kiss. Just as Buffy had given William his first real kiss.

It was that summer, back when the two starry-eyed pre-teens were but twelve-years-old. Somehow, the two snot-nosed brats had the mistaken notion that they were hopelessly in ‘crush’ with each other.

Ahhh, young love; how sweet and endearing and unbreakable. Fate, however, even in the most infantile stages of innocence has a way of rearing up and biting youngsters on their sweet little asses.


Buffy watched as Riley knocked the winning eight ball into the side pocket of the pool table. She had to stifle the yawn that begged to escape from her mouth.

For some reason, Buffy’s green eyes wandered over to the back door of the Bronze. A familiar bleached blond head stood out at the door, causing Buffy to smile despite herself.

Spike Giles grinned back at Buffy Summers, his ultimate dream girl. He fought back the urge to blush, profusely, at her sweet little smile she shot his way.

‘Fuck, but she’s gorgeous,’ Spike told himself for the millionth time in a year or so. ‘She could have been mine; should have been mine,’ he reminded himself.

‘Come outside, luv,’ Spike mouthed silently to Buffy as he set his pool stick down. He sauntered to the outside balcony of the Bronze, hoping that his Buffy would follow.

Imagine his delight when Buffy did just that. She followed him, discreetly, out onto the balcony.

“Thought you’d bail,” Spike mumbled indifferently (or so he tried to appear) as he lit up a cigarette and took a deep drag. He tried, hard, not to look too tenderly down at the little blond beside him.

“Me? Bail?” Buffy snorted, all lady-like and such. (She tried so hard to be all tough and uppity).

“How’ve you been?” Spike asked evenly; he stared out into the darkness before them.

“Okay,” Buffy replied quietly, although she wasn’t sure if she meant it.

“Just okay?” Spike asked with a raised brow, the scarred one. His mouth was twisted in his patent smirk, something he knew Buffy just hated with a passion.

Buffy was fully aware how William had gotten that scar, but she never mentioned her knowledge to anyone. She turned to face off with ‘Spike’ her chin stuck up in defiance.

“I’ll take okay, any day of week, Spike,” she spat with mock contempt. “What about you? How okay are you Spike?” Her tone mocked him and it fucking pissed him off.

“Well,” he grunted sarcastically. “I’m doing okay in school; have lots of friends. Parents who love me and oh yeah, I’m getting laid on a regular basis so….” Spike turned and glared down at Buffy, even though he tried not to look into those huge, soulful green eyes of hers.

Buffy reared back, somewhat upset at the phrase ‘getting laid regularly’ that William spat at her so harshly. The hackles on the back of her neck rose and she said the only thing she could in retort:

“That’s great. Nice to know we’re both getting laid; on a regular basis that is.”

With a snort of dismissal, Buffy turned to leave, but Spike grabbed her arm. He really tried to make it a gentle clasp, but well, this was Spike Giles and all.

“Buffy,” Spike whispered in a raspy tone as he turned her so her green eyes could meet his blue ones. “I’m sorry, I…..” His voice trailed off weakly.

“You used to be pretty decent, you know?” Buffy murmured half-heartedly. She wanted desperately to pull away from this memory from her past, but somehow, she just could not.

“You mock me,” Buffy continued sadly. “Every chance you get, you mock me and my friends.”

“Your friends, not you, ever,” Spike mumbled hoarsely. “Oh Buffy, I could never…..”

“Never what?” She hissed, pulling her arm away from his strong grasp. “Hurt me? Mock me?” Buffy spat suddenly angry for some reason.


“And you don’t bloody mock me?” Spike asked; his blond head tilted to one side. His ice blue eyes were full of a sense of fear and this confused Buffy.


“I….” Buffy began cautiously.

“You,” Spike grumbled, returning his icy blue stare out to the ocean before them. “You just don’t get it, do you?”

“Get what?” Buffy asked in her best harsh tone. “Get that you’re a loser who has so much to offer, but would rather smoke; act up in school; and dress like a fucking depressed moron who….”

“Knock the shit off, Princess,” Spike growled; he spun them both around and pushed Buffy up against the fence on the balcony.

Spike glared down into Buffy’s wide, fearful green eyes. Buffy was rather frightened; Spike’s blue eyes were filled with a passionate anger she had never witnessed before. In anyone.

“I’m not full of shit, Spikey,” Buffy hissed in her best mocking the guy voice. “You are. Tell me something, Will,” she purred sardonically. “Do you even remember when ‘we’ as in you and me were really friends? Do you?”

Buffy sunk back against the fence, but her facial features remained hard and her voice was the epitome of stubbornness.

“I do,” Spike whispered in defeat. “I remember everything. He couldn’t help but gaze into Buffy’s green eyes, wistfully, as he tucked her ever errant strand of golden hair behind her right ear.

“Tell me,” Buffy ordered, a little more tenderly then she meant to, really. She could not but help to gaze into William’s intense blue eyes.

“Tell me,” she repeated even more gently then before.

“We were both just bloody kids,” Spike began in a quiet voice; the look in his eyes was distant and dreamy.

“I’d been here, about a year or so and you were the only one in this bloody fucking town that accepted me. So far that is,” he added with a derisive laugh.

Buffy flinched, unnecessarily, because she knew what Spike, well, William was saying was true.

“I was pushin’ you, on a silly rope swing that your dad had put up on the avacado tree in your back yard. You were wearin’ that ugly little yellow sundress that your mum had sewed for you and…..”

“It wasn’t ugly!” Buffy cried defensively. “It was a beautiful dress and I loved it!”

“It was, beautiful I mean. I loved it too; at least on you,” Spike admitted sheepishly. “I just….” He hesitated momentarily.

“Go on,” Buffy ordered him with authority. She was becoming quite frustrated with this conversation, but for some reason, she wanted it to continue.


“You told me to push you, one last time and then to go in front of you and catch you. You were going to jump, you said; not matter what. I was afraid you’d get hurt; if I wasn’t there to catch you, so I did. I hurried, like the bloody ponce of a wanker I’ve always been, at least for you.”

“Then you kissed me,” Buffy murmured softly. There was a dampness in her green eyes that she had not felt for so long.

“You kissed me,” she repeated defiantly. “You kissed me with more passion and love then…..”

Spike interrupted Buffy; a move he would probably regret for a long, long time.

“I never kissed anyone, ever again, like that,” Spike whispered hoarsely. He leaned in, slowly. His lips were mere inches from Buffy’s when a hated voice broke in and ruined ‘their’ moment together.


“Buff,” Riley Finn bellowed from the back door of the Bronze. “Where the fuck are you?”



A/N: So, there it is. My first, real present high school fiction, well to begin with.

I hope you readers like it and will review.

Thanks, spufette.