Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you so much to everyone who has reviewed so far. This is the best response I've ever had to a first chapter and it's really put a huge smile on my face. I hope you continue to enjoy the story. Thanks again to Brat for looking over this chapter.
Chapter Two

Buffy nervously straightened her skirt for the dozenth time as she entered the store. Skimpy shirts and low-rider jeans mocked her from every side and she wondered how she'd ever manage to wear any of these clothes in public, let alone sell them.

While excitedly making plans for their upcoming joint metamorphosis a few days earlier, Buffy and William had quickly realised that the transition from class geeks to stud muffins was going to come with a hefty price tag. So they figured they would kill two birds with one stone by getting jobs that would also help them in their goal. William was, at this very moment, being interviewed for a job at a construction site. He figured the manual labour would help him bulk up. And Buffy?

Well, here she stood, in one of the mall's trendiest fashion shops. Looking like a complete idiot, she thought to herself. Taking a deep breath Buffy approached one of the shop assistants and asked to speak to the manager about a job.

You want to work here?” the girl asked incredulously, after giving her the once over.

“Yes,” Buffy replied awkwardly, fighting the urge to bolt out of the store as soon as the woman's back was turned.

When Buffy saw the manager walking toward her, she almost cringed at the patronising look on the woman's face.

“So you're looking for a job?” she asked as she looked Buffy up and down. Suddenly Buffy wished she'd worn a shorter shirt, a more flirty shirt. And she really should have done something more with her hair.

“What makes you think this is the place for you?” the manager asked curtly.

Quietly Buffy stammered, “Well, I'm a hard worker and I'm willing to learn.”

“Pardon my saying so but you look like you just stepped out of an old woman's department store. Have you ever worn clothes like the ones we sell here?”

Glancing again at the flimsy material covering the walls and the smooth bare midriffs of the other girls in the store Buffy shook her head. “No, but I want to change that. I want to look like other girls.”

“Uh-huh,” the manager replied, chuckling to herself. “That's great sweetie, but I need girls who know what they're doing. I'm afraid you're going to have to change and grow on your own time.” With that, she spun on her high heel and sauntered away, hips swinging.

**********

Buffy stirred two heaped tablespoons of sugar into her coffee and took a big bite out of her chocolate brownie. Stupid fashion victims, she thought, pouting.

Suddenly William appeared in the seat across her, coffee in hand. “You know love if the wind changes your face will be stuck like that forever.”

Seeing his barely contained excitement, Buffy forced herself to smile, not wanting to spoil his good mood. “Looks like you had a good morning. I take it the interview went well?”

William nodded happily, a curly lock of hair falling in his eyes. “It went great.” He pushed his hair back impatiently and adjusted his glasses. “I met the head of the carpentry crew, Xander Harris, he's only a few years older than us really. At first he didn't think I'd be up for the hard work, but I did my ‘you won’t be disappointed’ speech and eventually he decided to give me a chance. I start on Monday and I'll be working four days a week throughout the summer.”

“You're such a born orator Will,” Buffy told him with a grin. “You could talk anybody into anything with that mouth of yours.”

“Well I'm hoping to use it for more than just talking pet,” he drawled in a low voice.

Two sets of eyes suddenly widened at his words, and then they both burst out laughing.

“What the hell was that?” Buffy asked, trying to stifle her giggles.

William's face was bright red as he replied, “I have no idea.”

Buffy arched a brow at him. “Well well. Give him one win and he turns into Mr Flirty Man. At this rate you'll have the girls swooning in no time.”

“I don't know about that but I suppose I have to start somewhere.” Taking a sip of his coffee he asked, “So how did you do? Have you too joined the ranks of the employed?”

The grin quickly left Buffy's face and she stared uncomfortably into her coffee cup. “Not so much.” Buffy went on to tell him about her experience in the fashion store.

“Pack of wankers,” William muttered angrily, when she was done. Reaching out to squeeze her hand he implored, “But Buffy, you can't give up just because you were turned down by one snotty store.”

“Five stores Will,” Buffy murmured, refusing to meet his gaze.

“What?”

She sighed. “I went to four other stores after that one. Some were a little more polite about it than others but they all had pretty much the same reaction.” She looked up miserably, her eyes a little teary. “Only one of them actually laughed. That's something I suppose.”

William swore under his breath, then suddenly he brightened. “Wait a minute. When I was talking to Xander, he mentioned that his fiancée owns a store downtown. It was...umm...” He paused for a moment. “Oh, The Magic Box. I know it's not a clothing store but maybe you could get a job there.”

When Buffy looked doubtful he added, “I know she's looking for someone. Xander kind of suggested I apply there before I managed to convince him I can be useful for lugging something heavier than books.” He looked a little embarrassed by that admission and Buffy squeezed his hand, smiling in reassurance.

“I guess it can't hurt to try,” she said with a shrug. “What's one more rejection to add to the list.”

William paced on the sidewalk near the door to The Magic Box an hour later. He had a feeling if Buffy was turned down for this job, on top of all the others, she might be tempted to call off the whole plan. And the more he thought about it the more convinced he became that they could pull it off. A bell tinkled in the afternoon air and William looked up to see Buffy exiting the store. When she saw him a radiant smile lit up her face and she gave him a big thumbs up. William grinned back at her. Yes! His mind shouted. All systems a-go!