Chapter 14


Buffy smiled at Wesley from across the table as they sat in a booth at the Expresso Pump. The local coffee place. Since she had gone through her detention time cleaning the cafeteria she was free to go anywhere she wanted afterwards and luckily she had decided to take Wesley up on his earlier offer.

“ I know this is out of the blue, but why did you move to Sunnydale? I mean, it’s…Sunnydale.”

Buffy laughed. “ Actually I didn’t choose to, my dad moved us here after… Because he has business associates here. It was after my mom died.”

Wesley frowned. God Buffy. I’m so sorry, if I had know…”

“ You wouldn’t have asked?” She gave him a gentle smile. “ You would have found out sooner or later, I just rather its from me then someone else.”

“ Why did you choose me?” He blurted out.

She frowned. “ Huh?”

“ I meant, there was Angel and Spike, and me. Why did you pick me? I mean, Angels the one the girls consider their ideal ‘tall dark and handsome’ type with a mysterious quality if I remember Willow correctly. And Spike, well he’s Spike. He’s the bad boy who always gets the girl. Me, I’m just Wesley, plain and boring.”

She took his hand in hers. “ You sell yourself short Wes. You’re not boring and you’re not plain. You’re sweet, charming, handsome, smart, and sensitive. Besides, you make it sound like I’m gods gift or something, I consider myself lucky whenever a guy so much as gives me a second glance.” She grinned. “ As for Spike and Angel, both nice guys now that I know them, but they seem to much of the love ‘em and leave ‘em type. Not that I think that anymore, since I know them better, but before when they asked me to dance they acted like that exact description.”

Wesley nodded in agreement. “ Are we still on for Saturday?”

She smiled at him as they got up. “ Of course.” She kissed him on the cheek.

***
Spike there the cigarette to the ground and stomped on it with his boot. “ Bloody buggering idiot. You’re not supposed to be nervous. It’s just like all the other bets. This one just involves a girl you may…slightly like. Maybe not even.” He mumbled to himself as he got out of the car and started to make his way to the front door. “ Who are you kidding.” Having made his way up the steps he took one last breath and knocked.

Not a minute later an older looking man with dark brown hair with some grey in it opened the door, a deep frown marring his slightly aged face. “ I’m Hank Summers, who might you be?”

Spike tried not to feel intimidated by the other man. Glad he had worn his dark blue button down shirt and left his duster in the car. “ I’m William Giles. Was wondering if Buffy was home.”

He watched as Hank looked him up and down for a few seconds before grunting something under his breath and turning to get Buffy.

Buffy was listening to her music through the ear phones when she heard a knock on her bedroom door. Hank. “ Yeah?”

“ You have a visitor. William Giles.”

She nearly fell of her bed as her eyes shot open. Shit. She wasn’t as nervous about seeing Spike after school as she was abut Hank seeing her with him after school. Even him knowing that she had guy friends was bad.

“ I’ll be right there.” Jumping off the bed she quickly pulled on a large sweater and a pear of sweatpants that were loose on her. Tying her hair up in a ponytail she removed any makeup and quickly exited her room to go downstairs. Her hopes were that if her father saw her wearing this to see Spike he wouldn’t get the wrong idea. Even if she did look ridiculous.

“ Hi Spike.” She said giving him a very weak smile and sounding very unenthusiastic. “ What are you doing here?” She looked at Hank for a second who seemed to be thinking. “ On second thought lets go outside for a minute.” She quickly grabbed his arm and pulled him out the door before anyone could protest.

“ Spike what the hell are you doing here?” She stepped back and folded her arms across her chest.

He frowned at how she was acting. “ I came to talk to you, see f’ you wanted to see a little more of Sunnydale at night. That so wrong?”

“ Yes! I mean…” She sighed. “ Look, I appreciate the thought, I really do, but my dad doesn’t like me hanging around with guys.” Her face took on a pleading quality when she saw that he was about to sent a retort her way. “ Don’t, please. Look, it’s just not a good thing if you come here ok? You should probably leave.”

“ But I…”

She closed her eyes. “ Spike, please.”

He studied her face for what seemed like eternity. Something was going on that she wasn’t telling her and he was going to find out. “ Ok.”

She opened her eyes and gave him a soft smile. “ Thanks.” With that she quickly slipped back into the house.

Spike just stood there staring at the door wondering what had happened. Whatever it was, it wasn’t meant to happen like that. He was supposed to come here and surprise her, take her out to show her around, somewhere mildly romantic so it didn’t look suspicious but so that they could make a connection. Yet, somehow he found himself standing outside staring at her door after she virtually begged him to leave. Yup, something was off.

Turning around he made his way down the steps and to his car. He thought about what had just happened as he drove away. A thought hit him out of the blue. Where was her mum?
__________________________--
A/N: Sorry that the chapter is so short but I've been really busy lately. Between school and the ammount of work I am doing its crazy , I'm also thinking about taking on a job. Anyway, Please review .