Chapter 16


Getting in her car the blonde flipped her hair over her should and put on her expensive sun glasses. Maybe skipping out on detention wasn't the most conventional thing in the world but at the moment it was the smartest considering the earlier actions of a certain guy. She had managed to successfully avoid the bleached menace all day since the locker incident. Now she was heading home to get ready for her date with Wesley.

Oh sure she'd have double detention for skipping out. But Buffy Summers always had everything figured out. Today was the last official day of detention and Spike had probably gone to see if she was there too, which meant that he was done his detention time and next time she went she'd be off the hook. She smiled. Buffy Summers was definitely one smart cookie.

The only bad that came out of her little plan was Giles. Sure she didn't care if some teacher gave her that look or the lecture or any of it really. But that was exactly the problem. Giles wasn't just 'some teacher'. It bugged her that he cared about what happened to her because that would make him one of the few people. So when he gave her the 'I'm so disappointed in you' look or the lecture she actually felt guilty. God help her if it was both a look and the lecture. Or maybe it was just her looking for some form of discipline or punishment like parents would give out so she could feel like someone cared.

Buffy shook her head and laughed. Now she was just being ridiculous. Pulling into the driveway she pushed her glasses on top of her head and grabbed her things walking up to the house. Thankfully Hank wasn't home yet and there was a message on the answering machine saying he would be home a little later which meant he'd be home tomorrow morning. She had all the time in the world.

***

Standing in front of the body length mirror in her room Buffy put in her earrings and smiled at her reflection. She wasn't sure where Wesley was taking her so deciding that wearing something that would be accepted in multiple places would be best so she wore an elegant white halter top that tied around her neck and a pair of low riding jeans with a sash belt. She didn’t want to be dressed like a, well, slut compared to the people if it was some fancy restourant but if it was someplace like the bronze she didn’t want to be under-exposed. Curling her hair lightly so it had a slight wave to it she put it up with red chop sticks. This way if they went to a club she’d be able to take it down easily.

Slipping into her favourite pair of strappy sandals Buffy grabbed her purse and made her way downstairs. She was going out on a date. Slowly walking over to the couch she sat down and absentmindedly grabbed one of the animal crackers that was left out after the last time she had indulged. The blonde glanced at the clock and sighed. Why was she so nervous? She was Elizabeth Summers. Daughter of Hank Summers...the incredibly drunk bastard.

She giggled. What would daddy dearest say if he knew what his own daughter thought of him? She shivered. Actually, she didn’t want to find out. Back to topic, she shouldn’t be nervous. Except, she was a bit rusty in the dating game. Flirting was different. She was an expert at that. But the last time she had been on a date was when... Well her whole life did a full 360 degree turn.

Buffy stood at her locker chatting with her friends. Being popular was actually a lot more dull then people thought it was. Actually people didn’t care, as long as they were in it and everyone loved them, or pretended like they did, everything was fine. Leaning back against random lockers she smiled and nodded at what her friends were saying not really caring.

“ So what did you think of that pink satin...”

“ Oh my god Buffy! Brian is coming over here! I bet he’s going to ask you out.” Candice broke in interrupting the other girl. “ You know, I heard from my cousin, who heard from heard from her best friends boyfriend who is friends with Brian’s best friend that he’s going to ask you out!”

Buffy blinked. What had that girl just said. Because it made absolutely no sense. Except for the ‘..Brian’s going to ask you out part’. She really wouldn’t have cared since she got asked out or stared at blatantly enough except this was Emery High’s finest. Captain of the football and soccer team and the hottest guy around. She couldn’t help the little butterflies that fluttered in her stomach as she turned for a split second and saw him approach with his usual air of immportance. Besides, she hadn’t had a boyfriend in a while and Brian was definitely not te worst applicant. Tall, dark and handsome. He wasn’t on the meaty side either which was good.

She mentally thanked her friends as they quickly dispersed leaving her alone at her locker as Brian finally got there. She gave him a flirty smiled as he leaned closer to her. “ Hi Buff. You doing anything tonight?”

She stopped for a minute to look like she was thinking. “ Well, depends. You trying to say something?”

He grinned. “ Actually, yeah. Do you want to go out around 7:30?”

She gave him a million watt smile. “ Sure, see you then.” With that she quickly walked off to her next class. She didn’t know that she wouldn’t make it to that date.


Abruptly brought out of her thoughts by the doorbell she quickly stood up, straightened out her clothes and made her way to the door. She took a deep breathe. “ Don’t screw this up Summers.” Well if she did there was always her date’s hottie bleached cousin... Her eyes went wide. That just wasn’t right, besides, he only wanted her because she was unattainable. Wiping the frown from her face and putting on a bright smile she opened the door.

“ Hi Wes.”
______________________________________
A/N: Ok, happy to say school is now over minus two quick trips I still have to make there. Exams are now over and I have all the time I want so more updates are to be expected. I'm just going to mention again that the italic's are flashbacks and that this one is a continuation from the earlier one excep it's just from earlier that same day. Reviews are always appriciated ^.^