Chapter 18


Saturday had gone by without a problem and Sunday she had gone to the Bronze with Willow and the gang. Surprisingly enough Spike had been a no show and only Willow and Buffy herself had an actual speculation as to the reason. They kept quiet about it of course.

That was one of those rare weekends where Hank had to work late, also known as ‘get drunk off his ass and pick up a bimbo’ night. Those were the nights he didn’t come home. Any other daughter would be worried if one of their parents hadn’t come home, not her, she came to think of it as a blessing. A sign from the powers that be that she had some time to herself without constant yelling or seeing her father completely drunk.

Now she was running through the nearly empty halls with her purse slung over her shoulder and her books clutched to her chest trying to get to class on time so she wouldn’t get in even more trouble. As soon as she stepped through the class door the bell rang and she let out a small sigh of relief. That however didn’t last long when she noticed most people had already taken their seats and the only two seats left. On one hand she could sit beside Spike and try as hard as she could not to talk to him or look at him, on the second hand there was always sitting between Cordelia and Harmony. Spike it was. At least she had a chance sitting there, if it was Cordelia she’d end up strangling her by the end of class.

Taking a deep breath she walked over to her seat and put her purse down beside her and her books on her desk. Keeping her head facing the front she tried not to think about the bleach blonde that was currently staring at her. It was kind of hard though when she could feel his eyes boring into her.

Slipping lower in her chair she pulled out her notebook and started to take notes on some war that happened a long time ago. Ok, so maybe note taking wasn’t working out that well. Maybe it would work better if he’d stop staring at me. She thought with frustration. And then she heard a quiet ‘pst’. Great, not only is he staring at me but now he’s trying to get me to talk to him during class. I am soo not getting another detention on account of that jerk.

Ignoring him she started to doodle on her note book when she felt something pointy and rough hit her arm. Looking down at the floor she saw a crumpled up piece of paper in the form of a ball laying on the ground beside her. She glared at it before picking it up and glaring at the guy who had thrown it. Turning back to the paper she opened it and read.

Can we talk?
- Spike


She scowled at his cursive writing. There would be no talking, talking always led to bad. There would definitely be no talking. Especially with mr. ‘can’t-keep-hands-to-himself’. Looking to the front she made sure the teacher still had her back turned before turning around and mouthing a ‘no’. And going back to her doodle of an ugly looking bald vampire.

Spike felt like growling in frustration. What was with this girl? Sure he had basically come on to her just before her date with his cousin but did she really have to go to such lengths as avoiding him all day after that and skipping detention. (Where he had actually counted on seeing her to talk) And now she was refusing to talk to him. Unfortunately for her he was just as stubborn as she was, so he had skipped going to the Bronze with the gang and thought of a way to get her to talk to him. After all he only had one and a hald more weeks to get her to leave Wes and be with him. First things first, he had to smooth things over with her.

Kicking back he put his hands behind his head and smirked staring at her and knowing fully well that she knew exactly what he was doing. As soon as the bell rang she would talk to him, weather she wanted to or not.

***

Buffy looked at the clock and smiled when she saw there was only a minute until the bell rang. Good, she would have to be quick if she wanted to get out of there before Spike got to her. Closing her notebook quickly she put her purse over her shoulder and grabbed her books. Little did she know that Spike had already put everything away knowing she would run like a scared rabbit. It wasn’t as if he actually took notes anyway.

She nervously tapped her fingers against her desk until the bell rang at which point she quickly dashed towards the door. To her annoyance she was stalled at the door by the masses of people also trying to leave. Like a herd. she thought. Looking back she didn’t see any bleached hair and smiled. Ok, maybe this would be easier then she thought. When she finally exited she turned when she felt a tap on her shoulder. And proceeded to let out a groan.

“ Nice to see you too.”

She scowled at him. “ You’ve been doing nothing but ‘seeing me’ for the whole period. Haven’t you had enough?” She started to walk and wasn’t even mildly surprised when he fell into step with her.

“ You? Never.” He grinned at her annoyed look.

“ Is there anything specific you wanted to say since you’re now talking to me as requested.”

She noticed that his expression suddenly turned sincere. “ Look, about the other day..”

“ Yeah, there can’t be anymore of that. Me and Wes are now official and I don’t exactly appreciate having rumours fly around about the new girl cheating on her boyfriend with his cousin or something to that affect.”

He mentally frowned. So they were official now huh. Not for long. “Yeah, well sorry. It’s just that I’m not used to having something I want out of my reach. Especially losing it to my cousin. Look, it’s not my fault I like you ok? Not every day I meet a smart gorgeous, feisty girl.”

She didn’t know weather she should be uncomfortable that her new boyfriends cousin was talking about his affection for her or flattered that he was saying all those things about her. She opted for a little of both. “ Did you just call me gorgeous?” The corners of her mouth twitched.

He smiled. “ Well, yeah.”

Wow, who knew he could smile like that? She stopped thinking about his facial expressions long enough to answer him. “ Well, thanks. But don’t. It’s just not right anymore.”

He sighed. “ Figured as much. But just to show you how I’m not going to do anything like the other day how about you go to a small café type place with me tonight?” He saw her smile waver a little and hastily started to speak again. “ Not a date. Just think of it as the proverbial olive branch. A peace offering if you will.” He ignored the urge to tuck a stray piece of hair behind her ear. Don’t get attached. This is just a bet mate.

Buffy couldn’t help but smile. She didn’t want to start any more arguments and as long as it wasn’t a date it would be ok. “ Sure, I guess it’s ok as long as it’s later then my detention. How about six-ish?” There, that wasn’t a date time either, there for it couldn’t be a date.

He grinned. “ k’, six it is then.” With that he took off down the hall.

She stared after him folding her arms at her chest. Yup, definitely not a date.
____________________________________
A/N:Sorry about the slight slip up in that last chapter I've been a little pre-occupied lately and sometimes I have those typo's I'm just forgetful that way lol. Yes Joyce is dead. I fixed it and thanks to Emma and klyl for bringing it to my aattention.