Chapter 19


Buffy grudgingly made her way to the library. At least she didn't have the Spike problem on her hands anymore. Walking through the library door she was met with silence one again. Great, I better not be her alone or I'm leaving.

Sighing she started to make her way towards the back office. " Giles?"

She her some shuffling and paper rustling before he appeared. Looking more worn then usual, the age lines creasing his face more, as if he had stayed up all night without a wink of sleep. " Hello Buffy, excuse me I was just talking to Wesley." Just then Wesley walked out carrying a stack of books and paper. " Da' I think I found those volumes you wanted but I have to..." A smile spread over his face as he put the books down and noticed Buffy. " Hi Buffy."

She grinned. " Hey you." She readily accepted the hug he gave her and gave him a shy peck on the lips. She broke apart from him when Giles gave a little cough. " I see you two have become....acquainted."

Buffy blushed a little. This is the part where he... Giles took off his glasses and started to clean them furiously. ...starts to clean his glasses.

" Yeah, we're kind of dating."

Giles shook his head and sighed. " Not surprised to see that I was the last to know this."

" Yes, well, I was just about to go. Would you like to join me?" Wesley asked her as he put the books down and helped Giles organize his papers.

Buffy's smile fell. " Well actually, I kind of have my last day of detention. And after that I'm already doing something with...Willow." Great, now she was going to have to get Willow to cover for her. It was just a little white lie, the only reason she didn't want to tell Wes it was his cousin was because he would get all defensive and suspicious. And it wasn't a date so why cause him extra grief?

Wesley gave her a strange look before talking. " Oh, well I guess I'll see you tomorrow then." With that he gave her a kiss on the cheek and left.

She looked at Giles and shrugged before going and sitting down in a chair. She lazily looked through her purse and found he cell phone. Looked like she would have to amuse herself with the games on it for the next half hour or so. Just then the library doors swung open and Spike sauntered in, in a dramatic way.

" 'Lo luv."

Buffy shook her head and laughed. " You are such a drama queen."

Spike gave her a mock hurt and shocked look placing his left hand over his heart. " Your blatant mocking pains me." Putting his patented smirk back on his face he sat on the edge of the table. " Besides, you shouldn't make fun of me when I'm your only company for the next half hour." Buffy giggled at the indignant huff from the counter as Giles mumbled to himself about 'being invisible' and such rot.

Buffy crossed her arms and grinned. She enjoyed these little spats they had. They were just a fun way to pass the time. " Really? Since when does agreeing to be seen with you outside of school and sometimes at give you an all acess pass to practically stalk me?"

" M' not stalking you. Just good company is all." He furrowed his eyebrows. " Unless you want me to go." He made a big show of hopping off the table and backing away slowly.

She exaggerated sighing loudly and rolling her eyes. " Well if you must stay."
Spike shook his head and grinned back at her. " Bite your tongue luv. One of these days god forbid you'll want me around and I won't be there."

She shook her head laughing. " In your dreams Spike, in your dreams."

" Every night."

They continued to banter back and forth unknowing that Giles was watching the whole exchange slightly worried. He took off his glasses and started to clean them in much the same manner he always did. If those two didn't stop acting like a couple in denial someone if not everyone was bound to get hurt. Weather it was Wesley, Buffy or Spike.

***

Thirty minutes later Buffy walked out of the library with Spike at her side. " Want a ride home pet?"

She thought about it for a few seconds. It wouldn't be bad to accept a ride from your boyfriends cousin would it? No worse then accepting and offer to go on a date with him. The little voice in her head responded. It sounded suspiciously like Faith, her old friend from L.A. " Sure."

Buffy spotted an old looking black car. " This one isn't it?"

He smirked. " How'd you guess?"

Buffy raised her eyebrow and folded her hands. " Well, it's old, black, vintage, dirty, and smells like cigarettes. Which by the way, it isn't good to smoke."

He quirked his eyebrow grinned. " Impressive. You're ok with getting a ride in my baby then?"

She shrugged. " Sure why not. Besides the second hand smoke and company there's no problem."

" Oi! Watch it. Just asking cuz' most people don't like er' well, girls at least. They're all about girly cars with pretty colours and speed."

Buffy frowned as she remembered. " Crap, I drove this morning. I'll have to pass on that ride I can't let my pretty coloured girly speed demon get stolen." She grinned cheekily before walking over to her red convertible and making a show of getting in and looking back at him. " Although I'm sure that your car wouldn't get stolen if you want a ride." It was her turn to smirk at the look he gave her.

" Fine." Spike made his way over to her and hopped over the side with ease all the while seeing her look of triumph. " You win."

She flashed him a dazzling smile that made his head spin. " Wow, victory feels good." With that she put her foot down and the car sped quickly out of the parking lot and onto the street.