Chapter 25



Buffy entered the house tiredly. Sighing, although not contentedly, as the familiar scent of cigarettes and alcohol washed over her, making her feel dirty. Going up the stairs she walked into her room to find Hank sitting in a chair by her dresser. A shiver of fear washed down her spine at the familiar scene. She stopped at the doorframe and waited for him to speak.

She didn’t have to wait long. The medium build brunette man stood up, picking up his glass of brandy. The alcohol of choice for the night. “Where have you been?”

Just like a small animal in front of its prey she was careful not to make any quick movements. The smallest things seemed to set him off. “I was with a friend. Cordelia.”

The silence that suddenly overtook the room, doubled with the almost delighted look on Hanks face threw her off guard.

“Cordelia Chase? Daughter of Frederick and Aubrey Chase?” She nodded slowly.

The smile that overtook his face was completely foreign to her. Like the sudden appearance of a large pink flamingo in her room. “That’s great honey.” He walked over to her and stood facing opposite to her in the doorway. He put a hand on her shoulder. “Just don’t screw it up, he’s a business partner.” He punctuated the statement by squeezing her shoulder tightly.

She stood there until he left and closed the door, rubbing her sore shoulder vigorously. Grabbing her white robe she walked into the bathroom that was connected to her room. Stripping her clothes of she turned on the shower and stepped into the hot spray no caring that the deflected droplets were wetting the floor. Closing her eyes she let out a quiet scream of frustration.

Maybe she should just tell someone. Was she doing the wrong thing by keeping the abuse a secret? It would help relieve some of the constant stress and tension that was on her. But even with the knowledge that it would put her mind slightly at ease, could anyone really help her? Hank was one of the most influential people currently residing in Sunnydale. Could anyone truly stop what he was doing or would they just end up getting hurt in the process. No, she was right. If anyone else got involved Hank would just make sure that they didn’t ruin his precious public image and have something bad happen to them. Even if she went to the police, how many connections in the Police did he have?

Groaning as her muscles eased from the tension, she turned of the water and stepped out toweling herself off and slipping into her favorite comfortable lacy black bra and panties. She grabbed another towel drying her hair off as she walked into her bedroom looking at the watch on her dresser. Ten forty-five. Not to bad, she could get some decent sleep tonight. Letting the towel down she turned towards her bed and shortly let out a small but high pitched scream.

“Spike! What the hell are you doing here?”

She watched as he cocked an eyebrow and tilted his head to the side. “Right now? Enjoying the view.”

Buffy looked down and blushed deeply before quickly grabbing the discarded towel and wrapping it around herself. “You know breaking and entering isn’t going to get you on my list of top 5 people I don’t currently despise!”

His demeanor suddenly changed to seriousness. “Look, m’ sorry for earlier ok?” He scratched the back of his neck. “I wasn’t accusing you of drinking or lying I just worry about you, that’s alright isn’t it?”

She loosened the grip on the towel a little bit and her face softened, not smiling but not frowning as a little bit of guilt filled her. “Yeah, that’s fine.” It was quite endearing actually, knowing that he cared.

She was just about to walk to the bed and talk with him when there was a knock on the bedroom door. “Buffy? I need to speak with you for a second.” Blind panic shot through her as she jumped towards the bed and nearly threw Spike off shoving him through the bathroom door. “Wait here. Be absolutely silent!” Before he could replay she closed the door just as Hank walked in.

“Yes?”

He looked around cautiously before turning back to her. “Were you just talking to someone?”

She nodded calmly. “I was talking to Cordelia on speaker phone.” He seemed to accept that nodding before continuing.

“You’re coming with me to a dinner party for an associate of mine tomorrow. Take the credit card.” He threw his credit card onto her bed. “Buy something tasteful. I won’t be happy if it’s slutty.”

She just nodded and watched as he left. Walking to the door after she heard him farther down the hallway she closed it and turned the lock sighing in relief. Walking back towards her bathroom she opened the door and leaned against the doorframe putting one hand on her hip. “What are you doing?”

Spike paused in the middle of closing the cabinet on the wall and smiled sheepishly. “I was bored and curious.”

She just rolled her eyes. “Oi! I was quiet though.”

He followed her into her room and sat on the bed across from her. “So we’re ok?”

She smiled softly at him. “Yeah we’re fine.”

He nodded and stood up. “Right, I’ll just be off then.” He made his way towards the window that he had climbed in and Buffy quickly pulled him back.

“You can’t leave!”

He tilted his head to the side and smirked. “You could always just ask me to stay luv, don’t have to get grabby, unless you want that is.”

She blushed and shook her head. “No, that’s not what I mean. Look out the window.”

He looked and shrugged. “What’s so interesting luv?”

She walked over to the window and pointed to a few cars that were just pulling into the long driveway close to hers. “See those cars, that means the neighbors are having a late night party, which means you can’t leave tonight or someone would see you. They have parties once a week until about 5:30 in the morning.”

He raised his eyebrows, questioning look on his face. “So what do you suggest I do?”

She looked around uncomfortable. “Sleep on the floor?”

“Oh no! No bleedin way that I’m sleeping on the floor like a dog.” He looked at her face. Her nose was scrunched up in the way it usually was when she was about to argue. “Look I’ll sleep on the opposite side of the bed, I promise I won’t do anything, just sleep.”

She seemed to think over this for a minute. “Yeah, ok.”

She watched as he got on the bed, taking off his shoes and shirt. She wasn’t paying any attention to his chest, none, at all. Flicking off the light she walked over to the bed, removed the towel and got under the covers knowing that he hadn’t got another look at her in any lacy under garments. The thought that she was sleeping next to Spike under the covers in her underwear and bra never crossed her mind as a bad thing as her eyes closed and she drifted off to sleep.

***
Spike turned on his side lightly, trying not to wake up the girl sleeping next to him. She was turned facing him, her eyes closed and her breathing slow and steady. Soft strands of delicate golden hair falling over the side of her face as she slept, the silk bed sheets barely covering her figure. He dared to lightly graze her bare shoulder, getting a soft mumbling from her. She was perfect. Seeing her almost bare earlier had been a complete accident, but not one he’d likely soon forget. Then her silhouette as she got into bed not bothering to put much more on. He smiled, never imagining he’d be sleeping so close to her, let alone on her bed and have it be so perfectly simple. It felt nice.