Chapter 27


The ride to the school was made in relative silence, a comfortable almost shy silence. It was odd to describe Spike as shy in any way. He always had a sense of cocky confidence around him, almost arrogant. But he seemed to know, most times, when to turn it down. So even now as she sat quietly at the back of the class by the windows she was having a hard time concentrating on the lecture, her focus on what had changed between the two of them. As the clock ticked by the minutes she grabbed a piece of paper and wrote down a short note, slipping it in Cordelia’s locker as she made her way to the cafeteria.

Seeing a red head bobbing and weaving through the crowd of people she smiled. Willow the energizer bunny. “Buffy, over here!” She waved at the amused blonde.

“Any particular reason why you had more then your daily allowance of sugar, caffeine, etcetera, so on so forth?”

She ducked her head blushing. She was just an enthusiastic person by nature, over the years some people just weren’t able to deal with it but she didn’t mind. Always the bright side of things. “Just natural adrenaline as usual. Although I do remember a vague promise from Xander about some glazed donuts later.” God knows everyone needs a bright side once in a while.

Sitting down with the group. Which currently consisted of Willow, Xander, Spike, and Wesley she frowned curiously as everyone seemed to quiet down for a moment. Confused expressions on their faces. Definitely unusual for the group.

“Hi guys.”

She turned around to see Cordelia standing behind her at the table.

“Shouldn’t you be, I don’t know, giving people fashion advice in the not so discrete form of put downs?” Buffy turned around to face Xander, restraining her glare as she gave him a stern look.

“It’s ok sit down Cordy. I’m sure Xander didn’t mean anything by it.”

“Yes I ─ Ow!” A swift kick from Buffy under the table seemed to get him to close his mouth.

“Guys, be nice. Cordelia’s turning over a new leaf so to speak. She’s not here to bitch so I don’t expect you to either.” She watched their reactions. Everyone, for the most part, keeping their mouths shut. And Cordelia’s grateful one at the fact she hadn’t mentioned her parents fighting.

“Welcome to the group luv.” Spike was the first to speak, although something about the way he sent a charming smile Cordelia’s way and winked made her feel uneasy. But she couldn’t quite put her finger on it.

Wesley adjusted his glasses. Yes, err, quite.” Boy did he ever sound like Giles. The thought made Buffy scrunch up her nose in disgust. Eew, bad thoughts, he’s definitely not like Giles there for; she is not dating her father like teacher.

Cordelia smiled and looked at Buffy, still slightly uneasy. “I got your note. Sure I’d love to, got nothing else to do and I think dads making me go to that to.”

Wesley raised his eyebrows questioningly. “Where are you two off to?”

She blushed. “My dads making me go to some fancy party with him and Cordelia has to go too so we’re just going out to pick up some dresses for the party. No choice.”

“Yeah, it’s for some charity cause or something and obviously our fathers are going because they can’t not look good in the public eye. Sometimes being the daughter of a stuck up businessman sucks.” Cordelia ran her fingers through her new short hair as everyone gazed at her skeptically except for Buffy who smiled at her in agreement and another pair of eyes that lingered on the way she was playing with her hair.

_____

Buffy scrutinized her reflection in the full length mirror in front of her. The floor length strapless gown hanging off her figure perfectly as if the dress itself was made for her. But she couldn’t see it. Her fingers grazed the blue silk of the dress, over the rhinestones in the middle and she frowned. Was this appropriate for the fancy social gathering? Would Hank approve? Her frown deepened. Her hair was down but slightly separated to form a different texture then usual and her makeup was a little darker around the eyes, but not too much. She didn’t like it. It reminded her to much of what color a dark bruise was. A shiver went down her spine. She hoped it was ok. The only thing she was looking forward to this evening was Cordelia keeping her company. Tucking a lose strand of hair behind hear ear she grabbed her heels and went downstairs.

PICTURE

Upon reaching the landing her eyes shifted their focus from the worn carpet to Hanks face, quietly waiting for his approval, or objection. A quiet grunt and a once over told her it was fine and she let out the breath she hadn’t noticed she’d even been holding.

“Get in the car, I don’t want to be late to this it would look bad.”

Compliantly she slipped into the passenger seat of the car.

_____

“Come on, lets get a drink.” The brunette ushered Buffy to the waiter hanging out the flutes of wine and flashed him a dazzling smile. Giggling as they walked away. “He was kinda cute.”

Buffy grinned. “Definitely.” As soon as she had entered the large hall she felt her comfort level go to an all time low, heading for Cordelia as soon as she saw her arrive. Her dress, definitely something Hank wouldn’t have approved had his own daughter been wearing it, was a strappy black number that clung to all of Cordelia’s curves. Ending just below her knees in different lengths. Sexy, but still classy enough for the occasion. She was starting to feel closer to the other girl as the time passed.

They had spent the beginning portion of the evening dancing with important businessman (more like tyrants, Buffy thought) on the huge ballroom dance floor at their father’s requests. In Buffy’s case, demands. “I don’t know about you but my feet are killing me.”

“At least we have an excuse not to dance.” Grabbing her shawl from the chair she quickly excused herself from the room and headed for the Balcony. She hated parties.

“What do you think you’re doing?”

She turned to look at Hank who was obviously angry about something. “I don’t...I don’t understand.”

He simply rolled his eyes and grabbed her arm as if reprimanding a child. “I told you to dance with the businessman I didn’t tell you to act like a little slut!”

Her eyes went wide. “What, I didn’t, I ─”

He squeezed her arm tighter effectively silencing her. “I don’t want to see you acting like a whore again. Or there will be consequences. Do you understand?”

She nodded weakly. Rubbing her arms as he left to go back inside, even though it wasn’t cold outside. Walking back in she grabbed another flute of wine as someone tapped her on the shoulder.

“Hello gorgeous.”
____________________
I hope this chapter was ok, I know it was a little short but there's a lot more talking in the next chapter and things are going to start getting twisted (plot wise) in the next few chapters. By the way, excuse my poor photoshop job, I'm usualy much better but it was really late and I was completely exhauseted.