Author's Chapter Notes:
Nope, not this time. Well, except for saying thanks for the wonderful reviews!


Chapter 7

Buffy grinned as she waited for someone to answer the phone, her cell pressed up to her ear eagerly. Pick up, pick up, pick…

“ Hello?”

Buffy smiled as Willow’s mom picked up the phone on the third ring. “ Hello Mrs. Rosenberg. This is Buffy Summers, may I speak with Willow please?” She swallowed down the fit of giggles that was making its way to her mouth as Willow’s dumfounded mom spoke again.

“ Uhm, ah, yes. Just a moment please. She’ll be hear in a minute dear.”

She was obviously expecting one of Willow’s friends to be rude and not grammatically correct while asking to talk to her daughter on the phone. She had talked to Willow at school and found out that her parents were quite and refined people that didn’t like a lot of commotion or ‘teens in this day and age’, as it was said. So she opted for making a good impression for future reference.

“ Hi, Buffy! You won’t believe what happened last night while you were dancing with Wesley. Oh, you got to spill on the by the way.”

“ Oz asked you out?”

Willow sat there on her bed a little flustered. “ Yeah, how’d you know?”

Buffy grinned and laughed a little. “ Call it intuition, a lucky guess, common sense, whatever you like. My night wasn’t so bad either. Wesley asked me out for Friday!”

“ Oh my gosh, where are you guys going?”

“ Not sure yet. He wouldn’t say.” She twirled a stray piece of blonde hair around her finger contemplating her current conversation. She was sitting on her bed of silky soft blue sheets talking to Willow about guys and giggling like a thirteen year old girl. Now that she thought of it she sounded kind of…normal. Normal. She liked that.

“ So how’d you get home last night?”

She bit her lip. “ Good for now. The tree outside my window, lucky for me, is as good for climbing as it is for using as an escape. Besides, my dad was no where in site and probably with the new floozy.”

“ Aww, you don’t know that for sure Buff.” Willow frowned, she hadn’t really bothered to ask about her parents before. Her father sounded like a jerk and she hadn’t even mentioned her mom before. She decided that she would, just not yet, she didn’t want to push her luck.

Buffy rolled her eyes at her friends naivety, she knew her father well enough to know that there had been a woman over last night. She was willing to bet on it. “ There was a glass with lipstick on the counter this morning, and the shade is something I would never wear.” Not to mention how she didn’t leave her room unless she knew her father wasn’t there…

“ Oh.”

“ I got to go Willow, it’s about time I leave for school. Thank god I have a car. Bye Wills.” With that she quickly snapped her cell phone shut and made her way downstairs hoping to higher powers that she didn’t bump into her father or the woman he was with last night.

***
She stared at the radio clock in her convertible. Shit. She had successfully managed not to see anyone in the morning at her house, however her thoughts on not being late because of having a car were dead wrong. It was already five minutes passed the final bell and she was only pulling into the student parking.

“ That’s just great,” She frowned taking her purse and backpack from the passenger seat and slinging them over her shoulder as she burst through the front doors. “ all I need now is Snyder to bust me on being late.”

Immersed in her thoughts she didn’t see the guy around the corner until she ploughed into him, managing to spill all her things onto the ground. “ Shit!” God she was saying that a lot more recently.

Bending down she quickly started to pick up her things, not even looking up when the guy started to help her. Unfortunately she wasn’t having the best of luck this morning.

“ Ms. Summers. I see you’re already getting into trouble, second day I believe.”

Buffy bit the inside of her cheek hard trying not to give the short man a piece of her mind. “ Look, I’m sorry I’m late but…”

“ It was my fault.”

“ Ah, Mr. Connors. Should have known you were involved, trouble seems to follow you wherever you go.”

Buffy turned to look at the guy who’s name seemed very familiar. Her eyes went a little wide when she saw it was the guy who she had turned down last night. Well, the first one at least. She had the urge to laugh at the irony. Well, things are just getting better and better this morning.

Spike watched a look of realisation spread over her features as she remembered who he was. He kept his patented smirk on his face. Well, this could be a time to score some points in his favour. “ Yeah, well you know me, just bad all around. I happened to run into Buffy on my way in from having a smoke. She spilled all her things and I was obviously no help, thus she’s late.”

Snyder eyed both of them suspiciously before standing up a little straighter, bringing his lack of height further to their attention. “ Fine. But you better get to class right now.” He started to walk away and Buffy let out a sigh. Turning to Spike she looked at him nervously. “ Thanks.” She said quietly.

“ Oh, and Mr. Connors?” They turned once more to stare at Snyder. “ I’ll see you in detention for the rest of the week. You too Ms. Summers.”

As soon as he was out of sight Buffy bent down again and retrieved the rest of her belongings. “ God I hate that guy. He has it out for me, I swear him and my dad are long lost cousins or something.” She shivered at the mere thought of her and Snyder being related.

“ Nah, he’s just… Yeah he has it out for you. Haven’t seen him give out that harsh of a detention to a newbie in a while.” Spike grinned at the look on her face as she turned to him tucking her hair behind her ear.

“ Gee, thanks.” She looked away for a minute. “ Look, you didn’t have to do that.”

“ Why? Because you rejected me last night?” He chuckled trying to keep any hint of bitterness out of his voice. “ I wanted to, it’s fine.”

She nodded a little uncomfortable at her situation. “ Well I guess I should probably get to class.”

“ Probably. Nice running into you again pet.”

“ Yeah.” She started to walk away before she caught the last bit.

“ See you in detention.”

Great…