chapter 9


Buffy’s chest heaved as she ran at high speed to the parking lot where she saw Willow leaning up against the car with a bored expression on her face. She had no doubts in her mind that the red head had been there for quite a while now. “ Will’s I’m so sorry. Detention seemed to drag on and Spike Connors was there and then I lost track time, you’re not mad are you?”

Willow Shook her head. “ No, just a little bored.” She smiled, then a pause. “ Did you say Spike was there?”

Buffy shrugged. “ Well, yeah. I was late this morning and I bumped into him, of all people, he actually took the blame. Of course that didn’t stop Snyder for giving us detention for the rest of the week.”

Willow just nodded her head accepting the answer. It wasn’t exactly unusual for Spike to be in detention. She just hoped that things wouldn’t turn bad because of it. “ So where are you taking me?”

Buffy grinned. Remembering her new mission she opened the driver side door of her car and hopped in. This day was really starting to shape up. “ The nearest and largest mall there is in Sunnyhell.”

Willow looked a little nervous as she got in the car. “ Are you sure a bout this? I mean, it’s just me, Willow. It’s not like there’s much to change.”

The blonde just shook her head and giggled. “ And in that, my misguided friend, you are wrong.” At Willows confused look she continued. “ Well, do you want to look all hot and sexy for Oz?” Willow blushed and looked away.

“ That’s what I thought.”

***

Dragging her through the mall Buffy spotted something that made her grin. “ Come on Wills.” Grabbing her hand she pulled her friend over to a photo booth. “ We’ve got to have the before pictures.” Inserting the dollar she sat down beside her and smiled wide laughing slightly at the nervous look on the red head’s face that had remained there since their ride to the mall.

“ First things first. Clothes.” Making sure her friend was always beside her she spotted a familiar store.

Willow watched as the sign above her head glowed in a bright pink color. Walking in behind her friend she gaped at the size of the store and everything in it. There were designer brands, accessories, perfumes, clothes, make up, everything under the rainbow that a girl could possibly wish for. Well, anything material that it.

Buffy immediately went over to a display of multi colored clothes and smiled wide fingering it. Shopping had been a chore for a while now and she couldn’t remember the last time she enjoyed it. But now she remembered how her and her mom had come to places like this on the odd occasion. Sorting through a slew of skirts, jeans, and tops she handed Willow a pile and pointed her in the direction of the nearest change room. “ My work has begun.”

Buffy sat in the chair waiting for the red head to come out of the change room when she heard her timid voice. “ I’m not coming out.”

She rolled her eyes. She had expected something like this to happen. “ Come on Wills, I’m sure you look great!”

“ Nope, not working, still not coming out.”

“ Ok, I tried nicely. Either you come out here or I go in there and get you weather you’re fully dressed or not, for the whole store to see you.” That had done it.

Willow stepped out of the dressing room avoiding all eye contact. Buffy watched in approval at the choice of outfit. She was wearing a simple red backless halter top that tied up around her neck and back. It was cut at and angle near the hem of her waistline so it showed a hint of stomach. It didn’t show cleavage but it was very curvy. It was coupled with a short denim skirt that ended just above her knees, it had a small slit in the side and a pink sash like belt.

“ Willow you look gorgeous.”

“ Yes, I must say you do clean up nicely.”

The two girls turned to see Cordelia and Harmony standing there. Cordelia had her hands firmly on her hips and was raising her eyebrows at the redhead.

“ What do you want Cordy?” Buffy glared at the evil brunette.

Cordelia just laughed. “ My, such hostility. Can’t we all just shop in peace?”

“ Cut the crap Cordy.”

The brunet frowned for a minute before continuing. “ Fine, I just wanted to invite you to a party I’m having. The Bronze is booked all night and only access is with invites.” With that she handed the two girls invitations and started to walk away.

“ And by the way. I’ve seen how you’ve been eyeing my blondie bear. So just stay away from him.” Harmony scowled and her crossing her arms.

“ Blondie bear?” Who the hell would she be calling blondie bear that she also knew.

“ My Spikey.”

She couldn’t help it. Bursting out into laughter she didn’t see her leave as Cordelia called her in an annoyed tone. “ Come on Harm. God, can’t you ever just hurry up?”

Wiping away the tears from her eyes and shrugging off the strange looks she was getting she pulled herself together and straightened her clothes. The raised eyebrows and look on her friends face sobered her immediately. “ What?”

“ So, you’ve been eyeing Spike?”

“ Wha... you’re kidding right? No! Of course not! Remember Wesley, tall, sweet, and British?”

“ All I’m saying is that I wouldn’t be surprised.” Willow gave her a knowing look.

“ Well, I’m only interested in one British guy, and that’s Wesley.” She stopped and looked at her invite. Why would Cordelia Chase invite her and Willow to stuff like this?

“ What do you think her motives are?” Buffy asked frowning as she continued to think.

“ Huh?”

“ I mean think about it. Since when does someone like Queen C invite commoners like us to a party? Especially since one of us, me, is someone who insulted her and the other, you, has been her target.”

Willow paused. “ I don’t know. Maybe she’s trying to be nicer?”

Buffy looked at her skeptically. “ Come on, let’s go get you some accessories before you actually believe what you just said.”

***
An hour later Buffy walked over to the red head who was currently engrossed in looking through the perfume display. “ Come on Wills, lets go eat and then get your hair done.”

“ Ok. I just want you to smell this first.” Over the two hours that the two girls had been there, her shy friend had started to actually enjoy shopping. Buffy found that she trusted the girl like she hadn’t been able to trust anyone in a while, it scared her but at the same time it was refreshing.

“ Fine.” She took the small bottle of perfume that Willow handed her and sprayed some of its contents sniffing the air. As soon as she did she froze.

“ I really like it, I was thinking of getting it and...” She took in the look on her friends face. “...Buffy?”

She dropped the small square glass bottle and ran before she even got to see it shatter onto the ground into millions of tiny pieces.