Chapter 2 - Trouble in Paradise


“Spike, you’ve been tainted. You tastes like ashes. I have to find my pleasure somewhere else now.”
“So you go off and fuck the first guy you see? What’s gotten into you Dru?” Spike yelled, glaring at his girlfriend as she slid her hands up her waist.
“I can see her. She swims all around you! Why can’t you get rid of her? Why can’t you kill her?” Drusilla walked over to him, caressing his cheek as she looked up at him.
“But I did luv. I did. I did it for you. Why can’t you just drop it?” he asked, choking back a sob as she shook her head.
“Not her. The other. There’s another girl in your life now. Young. Her hair shins like gold and she’s troubled. I can see her all around you, tainting you. Mrs. Edith and I hurt because of her.”
“Buffy,” he whispered, his brow frowning. Dru nodded her head, stepping back from him.
“Grr-uff. You’ve been a bad dog. Feeding her pretty little lies. Feeding me pretty little lies.”
“I don’t understand what you’re going on about Dru. Stop speaking in bloody riddles!” Spike yelled, turning away from her. “Buffy is just a girl who’s going through a rough time. Her parents are in the middle of a divorce Dru!”
“And you love her don’t you! You save her from the mouth of hell and leave me to be sucked in! She’s messed your pretty little head she has! You’re no good anymore! Tainted goods you are.”
Spike tilted his head to the left, raising a scarred eyebrow at her. This was breaking his heart. “Dru. I don’t love her. I mean, she’s like a little sister to me. She’s fourteen Dru!”
“That doesn’t stop you! It doesn’t stop your heart! It’s over Spike. I don’t want you no more-“
“Dru, luv. Please. You have to know I love you.”
“William, I don’t love you anymore.” Dru shook her head, walking away from him as she did. Spike stood, watching her as she left. She never called him William. It was then that he could tell it was truly over. All because of a girl that he wanted to help.

Buffy sat on the couch, watching the TV blankly as her father proceeded to carry boxes of his things out of the house. He would look at Buffy from time to time but she never looked back at him. She never moved from her spot except to eat of go to the bathroom the whole day.
“Buffy. I’m leaving,” Hank Summers said after finishing putting all his belongings into the moving van. Buffy sat, staring at the TV. “Buffy?” No answer. “I love you sweetie. I’ll see you Friday.” Buffy stood up from her spot on the couch and looked at her father. Tears began to climb down her cheeks and she hugged him, holding on tightly to him as if to stop him from leaving. Hank Summers smiled lightly, hugging her tightly. “I love you Buffy.”
“Don’t go please. Please Daddy, don’t go,” she sobbed, clinging to her father. Hank pulled her back, whipping away her tears with his thumb.
“I have to sweetie. But I’ll see you Friday. I promise. Oh Buffy, I’m so sorry.”

Spike walked down Revello Drive, his hands stuffed in his leather dusters pockets. He starred down at the sidewalk, walking towards Buffy’s house. He needed to see her, talk to her. When he looked up, he saw the moving van. “Shit, he’s moving out today?” He looked towards the porch to see Buffy and her father in a tight embrace. He was about to turn and leave when he heard her call his name. Sighing, he jogged up to her. She smiled weakly, hugging him. He smiled back down at her, wrapping his arms around her waist.
Hank Summers watched as the two teens embraced. He looked at Spike, smiling at him. “You take care of my little girl ok?” Spike nodded, hugging Buffy close to him as Hank walked toward the van. As it drove off, he could feel Buffy shaking against him.
“Come on luv. Let’s get you inside ok?” he asked as he saw the van disappear down the street. She nodded against him and he led her inside.

Spike closed his eyes as he laid contently next to Buffy, running his fingers through her hair. It had been two hours since her father had left. Two hours of talking, crying, and sympathy. Finally, she laid down on her bed, curling up into a ball in his arm and she fell asleep. He could hear her light snoring and could feel her steady heartbeat against his stomach. “Lately I feel so small, maybe it’s just that my bed has grown. I never understood before but you were there so how was I to know that this single bed was always meant for two. I just didn’t know that it was meant for me and you and now you’re half way around the world and I’m just a day behind. Nothing seems to fill the void that I have since you left my side. You’ll always be my little girl though I can’t hold you tonight. And now you’re half way around the world and I’m just a day behind. I wake up in the night and I turn around to find that you’re not there. Just like to watch you sleep, lay by you. I love to feel you near. I think I’m going crazy as everyday, confusion starts to grow. I never understood before but you were there so how was I to know that this single bed was always meant for two. I just didn’t know it was meant for me and you. And now you’re half way around the world and I’m just a day behind. Nothing seems to fill the void that I have since you left my side. You’ll always be my little girl though I can’t hold you tonight. And now you’re half way around the world and I’m just a day behind.”
Buffy listened happily as his voice filled the silence with its smooth, warm tone. It was a sad song, but it fit the mood. She sighed contently when he stopped, and the room filled with silence once more. “Buffy? Are you awake?” She opened her eyes and looked up at him. It was then that she noticed his cheeks were pale and moist. Her brows creased in confusion as she traced his chiseled cheekbones.
“Were you crying?” she asked tentivly. He nodded, leaning his head into her palm. “Are you ok? Do you want to talk about it or anything?”
“Nah luv. It’s ok. I’m afraid when your da told me to take care of you, I got emotional,” he stated, smiling weakly at her. She frowned, looking him straight in the eye.
“You’re not telling me the whole thing but I’m not gonna push. When you’re ready to talk, I’ll be here to listen.” He smiled, hugging her tightly while placing feather kisses atop her head.
“Thanks. I’ll remember that.” He glanced at the clock and sighed. “When’s your mum getting home? It’s almost six.”
“I don’t know. She said she’d come home late. Work and stuff.” Spike nodded, resting his chin on top of her head. “She said I could order pizza. You hungry?”
“A little,” he admitted.
“What do you want?” Buffy got up, walking over to the telephone. Spike shrugged.
“I can do anything.” Buffy nodded, ordering a large half plane half pepperoni pizza before returning to her bed. She sat next to him, crosslegged. She looked up at him, wondering what was going on behind his blue eyes.
Spike could feel her hazel eyes boring into him. He looked at her, smiling as he saw her head snap to the front. “What are you looking at luv?”
“I’m looking at the wall. Where else would I be looking?” Spike chuckled, hugging her tightly. She squeaked at his sudden grasp and the feeling of being pulled back so fast. She fell back onto the bed next to him. He smiled as he laid next to her. He looked up at her ceiling which was covered with glow-in-the-dark stars and pictures of her and what her thought were some of her old friends. His eyes wondered around the room and settled on another picture. It sat contently on her dresser, surrounded by other pictures and keepsakes. It startled him at first but he smiled. It was of him and her, taken only a few days before by Xander. Willow, Xander, Cordelia, Angel, and Spike had decided to throw a little party for Buffy to welcome her into the neighborhood. It had been lame but it was fun. And he had been thankful that both Willow and Cordelia were Buffy’s age. When they had gone to the beach, they took snapshots of the day to remember it by. The picture showed Buffy on his back, both smiling happily as he had carried her piggy-back around the beach.
He looked at Buffy to see she had curled up next to him and closed her eyes. He smiled, trying to shift lightly on the bed so he wouldn’t wake her. His smile grew when she only scooted closer to him. Raising a hand, he moved to tickle her sides. “Touch me bleach boy and I’ll bite off your fingers,” she scolded, opening one eye to look at him. He chuckled, laying back on the bed. He felt her shift next to him, laying on her back next to him. “What are you looking at?”
“I’m looking at the ceiling. What else would I be looking at?” Buffy looked at him to see a mischievous grin spread across his face.
“Ha ha. Very funny.”
“Yea, very funny.” He smiled as they continued to look at the ceiling, their hands interlocking and their fingers lacing together. As time passed, their pizza arrived and they ate. Soon, they were back upstairs in her room, looking up at the glow-in-the-dark stickers again. Buffy fell asleep next to him, their hands interlacing again. It was when he heard the sound of a car being pulled up in the driveway did he get up. He tucked her under her covers before placing a small kiss upon her forehead. “I don’t know what you’ve done to me Buffy Summers. But you’ve got me hooked,” he whispered before slipping out of her room out the window.