Chapter 2

The minute that she walked into the house, Buffy sensed something was amiss. There was a commotion coming from in the kitchen, and knowing that Lindsey wouldn’t be home yet, she grabbed the umbrella by the door and slowly moved toward the open doorway. She was about to raise it, when a loud belch rang through the air. She smiled in relief and lowered her makeshift weapon, realizing who the intruder was.

“I think I might regret giving you a key, Riley.”

He smiled when he noticed her. “You know you’d miss having me around.”

Buffy moved closer and gave him a hug. “You have no idea,” she whispered.

Riley pulled away, his easy smile dissolving into a frown. “I know that face. Is my brother being a dick again?”

“It’s nothing that I can’t handle.”

He wasn’t convinced. “You shouldn’t have to handle it. Why do you put up with him? You deserve so much better. I know Lindsey; he likes to be in control. He’s been like that ever since we were kids. He hardly ever lets you see your family or friends because he likes to keep you here doing housework. That’s not you, Buffy. I just can’t stand the way he treats you.”

The sound of his concern inspired tears to her eyes.

Riley instantly felt a sting of remorse for making her cry, and wrapped his arms around her in consolation. “I’m not trying to hurt you, sweetie,” he murmured. “You’re an amazing woman and you deserve so much more than him.”

Buffy shook her head and pulled away. “I don’t think I can find anyone else. Lindsey was my first real boyfriend. No one ever paid attention to me before…he was the only one that showed any interest. We’ve been together for three years and I can’t just throw that away. I know things are hard now, but they will get better. Lindsey is just dealing with a lot of stress at work. He needs me right now.”

Riley nodded, however unconvinced he was, and decided to change the subject. “You should come to the Bronze tonight. I know everyone would love to see you.”

“I’ll think about it.”

He nodded again and smiled, moving forward to hug her once more. “Okay, I’ll see you later.”

“Say hi to Lorne for me.”

Riley pulled away. “I’ll be sure to do that. Take care of yourself,” he told her, then disappeared out the back door.

Buffy released a deep sigh when she was alone again. She knew he spoke the truth, but couldn’t shake her fear of being alone. Things weren’t all bad with Lindsey. She didn’t think that anyone else could ever want her.

Almost reluctantly, she found herself thinking about the blond man that she’d met outside the Espresso Pump. Well, crashed into was more like it. He was very attractive and had the most intense blue eyes that she has ever seen. Buffy sighed again and quickly forced those thoughts away; there was no point dwelling on what she couldn’t have. She would probably never see him again.


* * * * *


“Where do you think you’re going?”

Buffy stopped at Lindsey’s voice. “I was going to the Bronze. Your brother invited me. I didn’t think you would be home until later.”

“So, you just decided to go by yourself?”

Buffy nodded, refusing to meet his eyes.

Lindsey marched over to her, hooking a finger under her chin and lifting her head until they were at eye level. “Well, you don’t have to do that now. I was hoping you would stay in tonight.” He capped the thought with a grin, trailing his hands down her arms.

Buffy shivered and moved away. “I always stay in. I’ll only be gone for about an hour. I wanted to see my friends. I feel like I haven’t in a while and I really miss them.”

Lindsey sighed his frustration, the attempt at seduction gone, and ran his fingers through his hair. “Fine, but only for an hour. And I don’t want you wearing that. You look like a slut. Put something else on that doesn’t make you seem so easy.”

He turned and walked back into the living room without waiting for her reply.

Buffy was left there, stunned. Tears swelled without warning, though she quickly shook them away. There would be time for that later. Best now to leave without a scene.

Very quietly, she returned upstairs and changed her clothes.


* * * * *


Buffy plastered on a smile when she walked into the Bronze, immediately locating her friends, who were perched at their normal table.

Xander bounded to his feet when he saw her, taking her into a big hug. “Well, if it isn’t the Buffster? I see you finally decided to grace us with your presence.”

“Yeah, I needed to get out,” she replied, hugging him back.

He nodded and pulled away. “That’s understandable.”

Buffy sat down, flashing them friendly smiles and waves in greeting. She saw that Willow was there with her girlfriend, Tara. Xander’s girlfriend, Anya, was talking about leaving early. Buffy had a feeling that she knew why the woman wanted to leave early, and she just smiled at her easy brazenness. She really missed them.

After a few minutes, Buffy glanced up and saw that Riley and Lorne were making their way over to the table.

“Well, who is this vision of loveliness?”

She smiled at Lorne and stood to give him a hug.

“It’s great to see you, too,” she said and pulled away after a few seconds.

“I’m glad you decided to come tonight, Buffy,” Riley said sincerely.

They all sat down and tried to talk over the loud music. The easy conversation made it simple for Buffy to forget her troubles, however momentarily. It wasn’t long before she found herself laughing for the first time in a long while, and she remembered how much she enjoyed the feeling.

After a few rounds, they decided to go dance when a fast song came on.

Buffy was going to sit that one out, but Willow wouldn’t have it. She jerked her out of her seat and all but dragged her to the dance floor. It didn’t take long to push her reservations aside; Buffy started moving to the beat, basking in the sense of liberation. Her eyes fluttered shut as the music carried her. She was in her own little world, when someone then came up behind her and wrapped their arms around her waist. Her eyes flashed open, and she immediately noticed that her friends had seemingly vanished into thin air. She twisted in the stranger’s arms, determined to see who decided to invade her space.

She started in surprise when her eyes clashed with a familiar blue.

“Hello, cutie,” he said with a smile.

Buffy didn’t know how to reply to that. She was face to face with the same man that she met earlier that day. The same man that she convinced herself that she would never see again. “Hi,” she finally said and cringed at how lame that sounded.

He didn’t even respond as he wrapped his arms back around her and moved to the music.

It was then that Buffy realized that a slow song was now playing. She decided that one dance couldn’t hurt and moved with him. She wrapped her arms around his neck.

Spike pulled her closer and inhaled her sweet scent. He hadn’t been able to get the golden beauty out of his mind since she literally crashed into his life. Finding her dancing in the Bronze had been the surprise of a lifetime, but he wasn’t about to doubt his good fortune. He couldn’t remember ever seeing such a gorgeous sight.

Buffy pulled away the second that the song ended.

Spike was so lost in his thoughts that he didn’t even realize it was over.

Buffy couldn’t believe that she danced with a complete stranger and enjoyed it. She’d allowed herself to get carried away for probably the first time in her life. “I have to go,” she said suddenly, and tried to move away from him.

He grabbed her arm. “I really want to see you again,” he replied and was surprised at how nervous he sounded. Women never made him nervous, not anymore.

“I don’t think that’s such a good idea. I really have to go.”

Spike sighed and watched her walk away. There was definitely something special about that girl and he was determined to find out more.