This is an idea from the Idea Factory on
Spuffyfantasy.com.
The idea was written:
By Lauren.
Disclaimer: I don't own any of these characters. They belong to Joss Whedon, Mutant Enemy, and who ever else own BtVS. Please don't sue me.
***************************************************************************

Buffy was only lost for a few minutes. She quickly came to as she felt William’s hands caressing the underside of her breast. She would have loved to lay here and finish this, but she didn’t want it to be like that. Right now he was still in so much pain from Faith’s betrayal. She had to be the level headed one here. He was drunk and broken hearted. She pushed him away.

“William, we can’t do this. Not now. You're hurting and it wouldn’t be fair to either of us if one of us regretted this in the morning.” She could see that he had a moment of clarity, because he quickly backed away from her.

“Oh, Buffy. I’m so sorry.” She saw the pain in his eyes. She knew that he had loved Faith. No matter how hard she tried, her sister still had been first.

“William let’s get you into bed and we can talk about this in the morning. Ok?”

“Yeah, you're right. Then I’ll be sober and we can talk.”

“Yeah, we can talk then.” Buffy felt like an idiot but she didn’t know what else to say. The room's tension seemed to have tripled. She was self conscience of what to say now. She so wanted to throw her morals out the window at this moment, but she didn’t. “Night William.” With that she left.

“Yeah, night.”

*************************************************************************

William sat on the edge of the bed for a few minutes after she left. He couldn’t believe what he had almost done. Yes, he could- he was drunk. He didn’t know how he would face her in the morning. Now all the thoughts from earlier in the day were back in the forefront of his mind. He had tried to banish them but they hadn’t gone. Even the whole Faith thing hadn’t hurt as much as it should have. He was more hurt by the fact that he had allowed himself to be trampled on all over again. William realized he was slowly starting to sober up again. He wasn’t sure if that was good or not. As he replayed what had happened moments before with Buffy he realized something. He hadn’t kissed her for comfort but because he had wanted to. He had wanted to, since earlier that day standing in the kitchen. He was also hit with the fact that when morning came he would try to explain that to Buffy. Faith had used him, but he was beginning to wonder if that had been for the better.

***************************************************************************

The next morning was gray and dreary. The skies where overcast and a chill filled the air. You could just tell that no good could come out of a day like this as the residents in the Summers house slept through dawn. Across town there was a startling discovery. Mrs. Johnson walked out of her house to take her dog for a walk. As she hit an alley that went past the back of her house, she turned down it. Normally she would walk past but today her arthritis was acting up. She walked about five feet before she noticed the shadowed heap on the ground. She would have ignored it as trash if Sam, her little black terrier, wouldn’t have started barking at it.

“Sam, come on, leave the trash alone.”

“Ruff, ruff, grrrrrl, ruff.”

“I’m not in the mood for this I want to get home and watch 'Fox and Friends'.” She finally gave up and started winding the leash around her arm. Once she was close enough she bent down and scooped Sam into her arm. As she slowly stood back up she realized what the heap was.

“Oh, my...” She could see that it was a person, covered up in a blanket, hunched over. She moved to stand beside whoever it was and shook their shoulder. “Excuse me Sir, Miss? Are you awake?” She tried several more times to no avail. Now she was getting worried. She finally just pulled the blanket off the person. She let out an ear piercing scream. Laying there under the blanket was a young women in her early twenties. She looked like she was peacefully sleeping. Mrs. Johnson knew better though, the women was to pale to be asleep. There was also too much blood pooled around the body. Mrs. Johnson hurried back to her house and called the police. She explained to them what she had found and they promised to be right out. After hanging the phone up she sat back into her rocker. She knew the police would want to talk to her, so she waited. But while she sat there waiting she sent a prayer to the heavens that the young women’s soul would find peace.

*************************************************************************

As Joyce Summer’s drove home she had an ominous feeling about the day. Earlier that morning she had awoken and felt something was wrong. She had pushed it away, knowing that if there were any problems someone would have called her. They all knew where she was and had the number. Now as she got closer to home she could feel dread pushing down on her. Something was wrong and she knew it, she just prayed that her girls where alright. She was thirty minutes from home, so what ever it was she would soon have to face it. Suddenly her cell rang, she smiled when she caught sight of the name on the caller ID.

“Hey, sweetie, how are you?”

“Fine, except that I woke up in bed alone.”

“I know .I should have told you, but you looked so peaceful. Anyway, I just can’t get that
nagging feeling to go away. I’m afraid something is wrong.”

“Now, Joyce, come on, you know they would have called had something drastic happened.”

“I know, that’s what I would think too, but I trust my gut on this one. Something is wrong. I know it.”

“It’s alright. I understand. Had it been me with the gut feeling I’d probably do the same thing. Anyway what time do you want me to stop by today?”

“Anytime after you get back. You know, we are going to have to face our kids sometime? When do you think we should break the news?”

“I think this weekend will be a good time. If they haven’t figured something out already.” Joyce could hear Giles on the other side of the phone laughing.

“Yeah I know. Well, I’m driving into Sunnydale now so I’ll talk to you when you get back in town.”

“Oh okay. Love you.”

“Love you too.” Joyce hung up after that. She knew that they had to tell their perspective children about them dating. She knew that, but she had rather grown to like their trysts these last few months. Now was time to tell them though, especially now that William was finally home. Even though she wasn’t supposed to know. She had pulled it out of Rupert the other night. She pulled up out side the house and parked in the driveway. Home Sweet Home.

************************************************************************

Meanwhil,e during Joyce’s conversation with Giles, William stood in her kitchen whisking eggs. Just then Buffy walked in, her hair was tousled from sleep, and you could tell she hadn’t had her morning cup of coffee yet. He realized once again how beautiful she was.

“What are you staring at dough boy?”

“First coffee, then you can talk before you say something you’ll regret.”

Buffy humphed but did as he had said. After drinking down half the mug she sat down at the island. William wasn’t sure how to broach the subject of what had happened the night before. He knew he wanted to tell her about how he thought he felt about her. He also knew she might not feel the same. But after last night he had a feeling she did.

“Buffy...”

“William...” They both said in unison.

Buffy pointed to William to go first and he accepted. “Listen I know last night looks like a mistake. I don’t believe it was though. I realize I shouldn’t have gone about it the way I did last night. But I’m not sorry that we kissed. I’d like to see if this could lead some where, because I know I love you. Now I want to find out if I can fall in love with you.” William finished gasping in a breath of air. He had said it all in one breath.

Buffy just sat there starring at him. At first he wondered if she had gone into shock. Then he saw a smile break across her face, but it quickly turned into a grimace.

“How dare you use me as a rebound I will not let you use me to get back at my sister. Is that understood?” After her out burst she stomped out of the kitchen. William just stared at the stool that she had been sitting on. Once it registered, he ran after her. He caught up to her at the bottom of the steps. He grabbed her elbow and twirled her to face him.

“Buffy Summers, if you believe that I would use you as revenge against your sister then I know you’re senile.” William watched as her eyes filled with rage, and he realized he had made a mistake in that last sentence. Next thing he knew he was on his butt with blood trailing down his lip from his nose. He watched as the rage slipped off Buffy’s face to be taken over by horror at what she had done. She ran back to the kitchen as William tried to stand up. Once he was sitting on one of the steps, Buffy reappeared with a towel in hand.

“Oh, William I’m so sorry. Please forgive me I didn’t mean to but you had me so pissed off. I just don’t want to be used and that’s what I had assumed you where looking to me for. As a rebound girl.”

“No that’s not what I’m looking for, I want to truly try this.”

“How can you be so sure that this isn’t just a rebound? I mean you loved Faith for two and a half years. Of course you would be hurt. So you would be looking for a rebound. It’s only natural.” William figured Buffy knew she had babbled but he decided not to say anything. She had said what she had to.

“There is only one problem with that statement luv.” Buffy looked at him quizzically. “I didn’t love her.” William watched as Buffy backed up to the wall where the coat rack sat. She left her body slide down until she was in a sitting position. He could see the shock that statement had had on her.

“What do you mean you never loved her?”

“Mean just that. I figured it out last night while I talked to Lorne. I hadn’t loved her. It was just a safe relationship, or so I’d thought. I was more hurt by the fact that I had let myself get used again. But really in the end we had used each other. Neither of us loved the other one, we’d just been in a holding pattern since I left two years ago. Neither of us breaking it off, too afraid how the other would take it, or at least that was my problem.” William stood up from the steps. His nose had stopped bleeding, and he knew it wasn’t broken. He had already checked that out.
He walked over to her and grabbed her elbow once again. He lifted her to a standing position, and lifted her head so he was looking her in the eyes. “I want to try this, please say we can?” William watched as Buffy nodded her head. He could see it in her eyes that she meant it. He whooped and grabbed her round the waist and twirled them both around. When he sat her back down he lifted her chin and caught her lips in a kiss. He pushed her against the wall and braced his weight with his arms, as the kiss became passionate. They never heard the door open. They didn’t know anybody was there till they heard the person say.

“WILLIAM LEROY CALENDER, WHAT IN THE WORLD DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING????? ”

A/N: Hey everyone. Just wanted to thank my beta who keeps doing a wonderful job. I also want to thank all of you that have left reviews. They keep me going. Anyway keep your eyes open for the next chapter.