Chapter 15: The Reason Is You: Part 1



August 2001…


A few weeks before the gang does the resurrection spell…


Spike was on Dawn duty that Saturday day night as the Scoobies were having their “secret meeting.” To Spike, it felt like the gang was having a “secret meeting” every other night. He also noticed that every time Tara and Willow came back from the meeting the two witches seemed to keep to themselves. Spike didn’t assume an apocalypse was coming since it wasn’t that time of the year and that he knew the Scoobies wouldn’t be that dumb to exclude him. However he has been having his doubts lately about it.

Spike stared at his five cards in his hand, but he didn’t see two queens, an ace, a nine and a four. All he saw was Buffy’s body lying in the rubble with her eyes closed.

Dawn looked up from her cards and saw Spike staring at his cards in a daze and not blinking. ‘He looks so sad…’ Dawn thought to herself as she looked down into her lap. She concluded that he was probably thinking about Buffy. However Dawn knew it was hard not to think about Buffy since it there was the electronic replica of her dead sister, the Buffybot, always walking around. ‘Thank god that fake thing went patrolling.’ Dawn thought to herself.

Dawn looked back at Spike with worried eyes. Ever since Buffy’s death she kept getting the same look that was being played on Spike’s face. Daze. Sadness. Depression. Pained.

“Spike?” Dawn spoke up softly. She hoped Spike would snap out of his daze.

However Spike was a million miles away from Dawn. He seemed to be out in his own little world where he went to grieve and blame himself for Buffy’s death.

‘…why wasn’t I fast enough?’ he questioned himself, ‘You could have saved her… if only you were fast enough’ he thought.

“Spike?” Dawn tried again.

’I let my bloody guard down!’ he scowled himself, ‘If I focused more or—‘

“Spike!” Dawn said a little louder and finally brought Spike out of his thoughts.

“Huh? What?” Spike came back to reality. He looked around and saw he was sitting with Dawn, and she was looking at him with worried eyes.

Spike sighed, ‘Got to stop drifting off…’ he thought. He hated it when Dawn was nearby when he was off in one of his daydreams; he couldn’t tolerate to see her sad and giving him the worried face that she gave him right now.

”You okay?” Dawn asked.

”Yeah…yeah…fine. So, did you pick up your cards?” Spike nodded to the deck of cards that sat on the coffee table.

”You know what? Let’s call it quits for the evening…I’m kind of tired.” Dawn said and set her cards down on the messy coffee table that was scattered with games and an empty pizza box.

Spike frowned when he realized he had been the one to spoil their evening of fun. Dawn got up off the couch and started to the stairs.

”I’m just going to go to bed.” Dawn said and continued to walk to the stairs.

Spike sighed and threw his cards on the coffee table.

Dawn paused at the bottom of the stairs and looked over at Spike. “I miss her too...” she said out of the clear blue sky. Spike closed his eyes and tightened his jaw, but he didn’t look at Dawn as she continued. “If you want to talk…you know I’m here…” Dawn said and started up the stairs.

Spike’s building emotions made him either want to kill something or cry but he couldn’t decide which. He was saved from making the decision when the front door opened to reveal the Scooby Gang.

“Were back.” Willow announced.

Spike looked over to the door and saw Tara and Willow setting a few books down while Xander and Anya strolled into the living room.

”Dawn upstairs?” Xander asked Spike.

“Yeah…she just turned in.” Spike got up off his chair and grabbed his leather duster that was sitting on the couch. He wanted to get the hell out of there and do some serious drinking.

“What’s your hurry?” Anya asked, noticing Spike was urging to leave.

”No reason…just…” Spike started as he got his duster on.

”Just what?” Anya asked. Tara and Willow walked into the living room and waited to hear Spike’s response.

”Nothing…” he shook his head.

”Is the Buffybot still out?” Willow asked.

”I guess…haven’t seen it.” Spike said, “So…was the meeting good tonight?”

Xander, Anya, Willow, and Tara exchanged nervous glances with one another.

”Yeah.” Willow spoke up, “Yeah…just fine.”

”Can I ask if these meetings are going to be continuing on a regular basis? Am I now the annual babysitter?” Spike’s tone seemed a little harsh. He was a little ticked off that he didn’t know what the Scoobies for not sharing and also a little ticked off with himself that he cared.

“What’s the matter? It’s not like you have a life.” Xander said, matching Spike’s tone.

”Xander…” Anya started. She hated that her “secret fiancé” was always picking on Spike. She didn’t understand why humans held grudges and that Xander can’t notice that Spike has been helping lately.

”What? He’s dead…” Xander mumbled to Anya.

“Right, dead…just a soulless demon that doesn’t care about anyone but himself. Did I get that right Harris?” Spike asked.

“Look guys don’t fight.” Tara tried to break up the two before it started to get ugly.

”He can’t fight…he’s chiphead…and Spike, you are a soulless creature so why should we trust you with our business anyway? The only reason we are letting you stick around is because it seems Dawn wants you here, which is a reason I’ll never get.” Xander said.

The room was dead silence. Spike and Xander glared at each other for a minute before Spike turned away and went towards the front door. Tara and Willow winced when they heard the door slam shut.

“Was that necessary?” Anya scowled Xander in a calm tone.

”What?” Xander asked, seemed to not be sorry for his hurtful words.

”Xander…” Xander turned to Willow when she spoke up, “I think you went a little too far.”

Outside the Summers house Spike walked over to his spot near the tree in the front lawn where he usually had a smoke. He reached inside for lighter but stopped when he heard Xander’s voice enter his head, ‘…you’re a soulless creature…’

Spike shook his head and looked back at the Summers house, “Soulless…he’s one to talk.” Spike mumbled the words and then went off into the night, trying to find the nearest place to get a drink. But Spike knew that a couple of drinks wouldn’t make everything okay and easy. Drinking only delays the pain for a little while, but for Spike it was enough to get him through the night.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Sunnydale 2082…

Everyday since the night Buffy stuck her hands in the mirror and heard Spike’s speech about how he was going to help Buffy had seemed different, and in a good way. She seemed like she was become her old Slayer self again.

For two weeks things have been smooth sailing. Buffy and Spike decided to move into the abandoned house that they found. They figured it was more comfortable than the crypt and closer to the Magic Box where they train.

“Come on luv…don’t give me those sloppy moves.” Spike said.

Both Spike and Buffy were training in the Magic Box before sunset. They put boards on the broken windows so Spike could avoid direct sunlight. At the moment they were practicing their sword fighting.

“That wasn’t sloppy.” Buffy said a little childish, “That was so unsloppy.”

Spike and Buffy continued to clash swords together. When they pined there swords together with equal force Buffy stepped back and dropped the sword and did a few back flips. Spike stood still with his sword when he watched her come back straight onto her feet. Buffy raised her arms in fighting stance. Spike raised an eyebrow at her motion. Buffy smiled and with her hand she motioned him to closer to fight her. Spike snorted at her.

”What? Too Matrix-y?” Buffy asked.

Spike shook his head and dropped his sword to the side and stepped closer to fight her. He raised his fist and they both paused for a second before they started to spar all over the training room. At times Buffy seemed to be winning and then in a split second the tables turned and it was Spike who was on top. But after twenty minutes of none stop punches and kicks they grew tired and stopped.

Buffy walked over to the other side of the room and sat on the old vaulted horse. She grabbed a water bottle and took a few gulps before lying eyes on Spike. Buffy noticed he was watching her every move.

Buffy held still and looked nervously side to side wondering why he was looking at her, “What?!”

Spike chuckles and shakes his head, “Nothing…it’s just…you seem like your old self…that fight seemed…nice and familiar.”

Buffy raised an eyebrow at his choice of words, “Nice? Okay, you buddy are getting really weird…I’m just glad this didn’t turn into a session from a 80s movie…” Buffy paused and thought about what she just said and then looked up at Spike, “I mean 1980s…not…2080s, which is…you know what I mean.”

”Yeah I do.” Spike smiled.

”It’s hard to get use to…” Buffy sighed.

“Yeah…” Spike mumbled and turned around and gathered up some equipment, “I don’t know about you but that spar was good for my soul...it was…” Spike stopped instantly.

The words tumbled out of Spike’s mouth so fast he didn’t even have a time to catch himself. He turned around and looked at Buffy to see her reaction to his little confession. He saw her face was a little shocked and confused.

‘Oh my god…’ Buffy thought to herself as she kept staring into Spike’s eyes. She stared so deeply into his eyes that she actually started to see a little glimpse of the man inside the demon.

“Uh…” Spike started, but he could come up with a sentence.

”You have a soul…” Buffy stated. It wasn’t even a question. ‘I can’t believe I didn’t see it before…’ she thought to herself.

Spike nodded, “Yeah…I got one.”

”I…I don’t understand…why…how….” Buffy started questioning.

Spike looked down at the ground and sighed and then looked back up at his love. He opened his mouth and started to tell the story.

TBC….second part coming up soon and you’ll hear how Spike got the soul and how Buffy reacts. It’s going to be good. : )