Chapter 16: The Reason Is You Part 2

2050…L.A…


“What will it be?” the bartender asked as he attended to his next customer.

“Whiskey.” A man with his head bowed down said, hiding his face and showing off his brownish hair that had blonde tips at the top.

“We’re out…all we got is human blood and some beer.” The bartender grunted.

The customer looked up at the bartender with eyes full of grief, sadness, sorrow, and a little bit of amazement at what the bartender said. Even though his hair had gone back to his natural hair color, it was still the same old Spike sitting at the bar.

“You don’t have whiskey but you have blood?” Spike asked.

”Yep…you want some or not?” the bartender asked.

Spike thought before that the world had gone down hill but now he could actually say it from just what happened between the bartender and him. A human bartender had just offered human blood.

”Where’d you get the blood?” Spike asked and narrowed his eyes.

The bartender laughed, “Does it matter? Its human…comes from a human.”

”Actually yeah, it does matter where you got it.” Spike mumbled harshly.

Both the bartender and Spike put on a staring match. The bartender could tell that Spike didn’t seem too pleased with the blood offering, and Spike could tell that the bartender was not pleased with Spike being so nosy. In the end the barkeeper pulled out a bottle of beer from behind the counter and sat it in front of Spike without taking his eyes off of him, or saying a word. Then the bartender walked away.

*~*~*~*~*

Across the bar a few demons were stirring up a loud conversation that could be heard throughout the whole room.

”I’m telling you…he grants you anything you want!” One of the demons from the group exclaimed.

All of the other demons surrounding the storytelling demon laughed, thinking the demon was speaking nonsense.

”He does!” the demon spoke up again and brought in another round of laughs.

”Then how come we never heard of him?” a demon with spiky horns asked.

”Yeah!” all the demons grunted as a group.

Before the demon continued to tell his tale one of his fellow demons jumped in. “Hey maybe you have to see the Wizard and follow the yellow brick road to find this wish granting demon!”

Some of the demons and vamps laughed at the joke while others didn’t understand what was so funny.

”Wizard?” a young vamp mumbled. Clearly he wasn’t turned or was alive during the twentieth century.

“Wizard of Oz you dumby…it’s a classic.” Another vampire chirped in.

“Anyway…” the storyteller demon interrupted, directing the attention back to him. “This demon or thing, not sure what it is, grants wishes to anyone in the world. All you have to do is pass some trials and poof! Wish granted!”

“If you’re making this up you’re about to go poof.” One demon mumbled behind the rim of his beer glass before he took a gulp.

“I’m not lying!” the storyteller growled.

”You seeked this demon out then?” the demon challenged.

“Well…not really…” the storyteller demon mumbled, feeling ashamed.

”I knew it!”

“Look, some demon from Seattle told me the story about this creature. He went to the demon and wanted all this gold.” The storyteller explained

“Did he get what he wanted?”

The demon shook his head, “No…he didn’t make it passed the first trial…he was thrown out of the cave. He had to crawl his way out because he was so badly beaten.” The demon explained.

*~*~*~*~


Back across the room Spike turned and looked at the demon gang. He heard everything while he sipped his beer and kept his back to the group. Spike seemed interested in the wish granted part of the story and wondered if it was true.

Unaware to the group of demons, Spike started approaching their table not caring if the group would act unfriendly towards him.

”Where is this demon?” Spike came straight out and asked.

All the demons turned and looked at Spike. Spike kept his eyes on the storyteller, waiting for an answer. For a moment everyone was quiet.

“What?” The demon shot out.

”The demon that grants wishes…where is it located?” Spike asked.

”What? Why?” The demon laughed, “You want something? You think you can perform the trials?” The demon turned to his buddies and laughed.

In a split second Spike had the demon in his grasp and pinned up against the wall. The rest of the demons didn’t bother to help they just simply watched.

”Just tell me what I want to know.” Spike said firmly and in a quiet voice that only the demon could hear.

”Uhh…” The demon stuttered, “What I heard the demon is in New Zealand….in the some cave or something…a cliffside...near a waterfall…”

Spike stared into the demons eyes, seeing if the demon had a hint of a lie in him. When Spike could see the demon was telling the truth he let him go and let the demon drop to the ground. Spike moved towards the exit.

The demon looked up and saw the back of Spike’s duster go through the exit.

“Going there is suicide!” the demon yelled out to Spike.

While Spike went to the door he mumbled, “Doesn’t matter, got nothing left to lose.”


*~*~*~*~*~*~

New Zealand…

After jumping every form of transportation that was known, Spike was in New Zealand and standing outside in the night looking into a cave. He had to make a few pit stops to find the precise location but when all was said and done Spike was standing outside the cave. In the distance he heard the peaceful sound of a waterfall.

Spike was determined that when he entered the cave he wouldn’t leave without his wish.

Slowly and cautiously Spike entered the damp and dark cave. He slipped into game face so he could use his night vision. And when he got a few yards into the cave a deep voice stopped Spike.

“Stay where you are vampire…” the voice said. Spike looked in all directions around him and even with his night vision he couldn’t see the speaker.

“Where are you?” Spike spoke up.

“I am very much here.” The voice spoke again and breathed loudly. The voice seemed to be nearby but all Spike saw was air.

“Enough with the hide and seek…show yourself.” Spike said harshly. Then in a moment Spike was thrown up in the air and bounced off the wall of the cave.

”Do you dare to speak that tone with me again?” the voice after a pause.

Spike got up on his feet and mumbled, “Right…right. You’re the boss.”

“I should throw you out right now but I sense something about you, something unique in a way…what wish do want granted vampire?” the voice asked.

Spike sighed, “I want to change things…to change and make things better…to save her.” He mumbled the last three words very quietly.

”To change time…” the voice of the cave demon spoke.

“Yes…I want you to take me back…give me another chance to make things better...please.” Spike begged and waited for an answer.

“No…” the voice simply said, stripping all of Spike’s hopes and dreams away in one single word.

Spike’s face changed from hope to anger and pain quickly. “What…what the bloody hell---“

In a flash Spike was once again thrown across the cave and to the ground. Spike growled as he got up. “Right…right…sorry.” Spike mumbled as he got up, “Forgot you don’t like to be yelled at…”

”I do not grant those types of wishes…that is merely a dream of yours…I can not grant you that.” The voice said.

”What not? What’s the difference?” Spike spoke out, trying to make it sound like he was yelling at the demon. He didn’t want to be thrown down again.

”I do not give vampires their deepest desires… let alone alter time for them.” The demon voice said and breathed loudly again.

“Then what can I have?” Spike asked.

”Think about it for a while…I’m sure it will come while you perform your trial…that is if you still want to play my game.” the voice said and let out a little snicker.

“You don’t see me leaving.” Spike said.

The voice snickered again and from behind Spike a figure walked forward. Sensing someone else Spike turned around and noticed the figure that has come forward is a muscular man. Around the cave tiki torches light up magically, bringing more light so Spike could see around him.

Spike speaks up, “So I’m guessing Mr. Wannabe Action Figure here is the first test?” Spike’s question was directed to the demon voice.

“Yes…” the voice said.

“Right…so…no weapons?” Spike asked as he took off his duster and threw it in the corner.

”No weapons…” the voice said.

Spike turned to the big muscular man, “Well you heard the mysterious voice…come on…let’s entertain him.”

The muscular man looked at Spike and raised his fists and knocked them together. Both of his hands burst into a flames. Spike’s eyes widen and looks alarmed as the man swings at Spike’s head. Spike reacted by instantly ducking and maneuvering around the man.

“I thought you said no weapons!” Spike called out.

”Yeah…no weapons…for you.” The voice said.

Spike sighed in frustration and looked back at the muscular man who was starting to approach him again.

“Bloody hell…” Spike mumbles.

*~*~*~

After three days of going through trial after trail in the cave Spike had now a new definition of the word “pain”. He didn’t know how he managed to get through each trial and win without knowing really what prize he wanted in the end.

Spike stumbled out of one the tunnels of the cave covered in cuts, burns, and bruises. His shirt and boots were off and all that he was left in was his black pants. He walked towards the tiki torches and kneeled down on the ground and bowed his head down in exhaustion.

“You are worn down…” the demon voice spoke out to Spike.

Spike lifted him head, “I can go another twelve rounds if I need to…”

”Don’t need to…you have passed the required trials…” the voice said.

Spike’s head lowered down and he let exhaled a breath of relief. He would cry for joy if he could but he was too tired to even let tears come.

“You’ve had time…what one wish do you want?” the voice asked.

Spike closed his eyes and for some stranger reason he thought about Xander. He wasn’t sure why Xander came to his mind out of the blue, maybe he was just crazy from the torture.

‘Spike, you are a soulless creature so why should we trust you with our business anyway?’ Xander said.

To Spike it felt like Xander was saying those words right at the moment instead of way back when they were actually said in the Summers house. The words stung just as much as they did the night Xander said them too.

”Well…what will it be vampire?” the voice spoke up.

Another voice appeared in Spike’s head out of the blue again.

‘And whatever you think you're feeling, it's not love. You can't love without a soul.’ Buffy said when she was chaining up in Spike’s crypt.

Spike made up his mind. He looked up and took an unnecessary deep breath, “I want my soul.”

*~*~*~*~*~

2082….

Back in the training room of Sunnydale Spike had just finished his story of his soul, leaving Buffy speechless.

”…It was probably the only thing I wanted more than…well, having you back.” Spike admitted and looked up at Buffy.

Buffy looked down at the ground feeling like a brick load of guilt was placed on her shoulders.

She shook her head in disbelief, “Why…why would you do that to yourself?” She asked in a whisper.

Spike gave a little shrug, “I guess….I guess I thought that is something you would want. Something you would be proud of…”

Buffy looked up at Spike and stared at him in a new light, a new way that she never thought she would see him like.

Buffy got up off the crate that she was seated on while listening to the story and walked towards Spike. Once she was standing in front of him Spike looked up and met her green eyes. She lean in and gave him a soft sweet kiss on the lips. A kiss that seemed very much like the one she gave him eighty years ago in his crypt after he was badly beaten up by Glory. When Buffy pulled away Spike looked at her with question eyes.

”Why did you do that?” He whispered.

”Because… you deserved it.” She whispered back while looking at him with sweet innocent eyes.

Spike gave a little smile and bent his head down in embarrassment. However he was surprised when Buffy grabbed both sides of his face and slowly lifted his head to look at her and again brought her lips to his in a much longer kiss.

When Buffy backed away again Spike looked even more amazed, “And what was that for?” he said in a soft voice while staring at her lips before meeting her eyes.

”Honestly…I don’t know…” Buffy admitted and kept close to him for a moment before backing away. “Um…let’s get back to work.” Buffy said and walked over to punching bag.

“Yeah…” Spike snapped out of his daze and walked forward, helping Buffy continue with her training session.


TBC...