Chapter 17: Storm Brewing


Spike and Buffy were upset that there was no vampire action in the cemetery when they went on patrol. Ever since they kissed two days ago, all they did was analyze the meaning of the moment. It seemed that they were fighting a hell of a battle with their emotions and thoughts and they were dying to fight real demons instead.

“Cold night…” Buffy spoke up. After a constant twenty-five minutes of neither one of them speaking.

”Yeah…” Spike said and shifted his thought of how Buffy’s lips were so soft to the chill in the air.

”Must be January now…” Buffy said and then paused, “Oh my god…I have no clue what month it is…Do you know?” Buffy turned to face Spike.

Spike smiled and looked at his feet as they kept walking in the cemetery, “After you lived as long as I have and been traveling around alone everything doesn’t matter pet…the weather, the day of the week, all of it just doesn’t matter.”

’Makes sense…’ Buffy thought to herself, “Well…if you don’t care than neither will I…” Buffy said and tried to act all tough.

“But really you do care luv.” Spike said.

Buffy stopped walking and turned to face Spike.

”You’re human Buffy…its only natural that you care about those things…” Spike stood and explained one of his theories of humans.

Their conversation had ended when they saw that a gang of vampires started to approach them. Buffy and Spike noticed as the gang seemed eager to keep advancing towards them, with no intention of walking away.

Buffy turned to Spike, “Do you call doing this everyday natural and normal?” Buffy asked.

Buffy didn’t wait for Spike’s reply. She just walked forward and kicked the first vampire that she came in contact with. And all while Buffy was fighting she noticed that her opponent seemed hard to kill.

“Had enough?” the vampire growled as he kicked Buffy in the stomach and sent her down on the ground.

Buffy jumped to her feet and clutched her stake in her right hand and replied, “Not even close.” She punched him in the face and lounged her stake forward towards his heart but the vampire grabbed her arm and pulled it behind her back. He took his other hand and wrapped it around her, just below the neck.

The vampire leaned forward to whisper in her ear from behind, “You’re a feisty one…”

Buffy tried to free herself from his grasp but the vampire was just too strong.

“Now, now….struggling will only make me kill you sooner.” The vamp laughed and paused to notice Buffy stopped struggling,” Good girl…” he said softly.

”Spike!!!” she yelled across the cemetery.

Spike stake his last vampire when he heard his name being called. He whipped around and saw a vampire having a firm hold on Buffy. Spike started to run towards them, jumping over every headstone in his way.

The vampire cursed as he saw Spike heading towards them. Buffy took the opportunity to hit the vamp in the face with the back of her head. The vampire let go of Buffy and stepped back, rubbing the front of his game face.

“You are not worth it…you will sooner die slayer…” the vampire growled, “If not be me then by the Great One…Angelus…”

Buffy looked surprised by the name of her old nemesis that she thought was long gone. Her eyes widened and her jaw dropped a little bit.

’No…’ Buffy thought to herself, ‘No!’


*~*~*~*~*~*~

Las Vegas….

Vampires dressed in business suits and black ties sat around a huge conference table. They were all waiting for the boss to arrive and start the meeting.

“What’s this meeting all about?” a vamp mumbled to another vamp sitting to him.

”Didn’t you get the memo?” the vamp whispered back.

The vampire shook his head, worried that something would happen to him because he was not up to date with what’s going on.

”New employees…two new members…they’re Angelus’s top gun.” The vampire explained.

On cue Angelus opened the conference room. All of the staff members turned their attention to Angelus.

”Evening gentlemen…” Angelus said as he started walking in the room. Behind him walked the two men who arrived in the limo earlier. “Like to introduce you to the two new members of the team…Eli and Rufus…they are my big guns for the project I’m started. Try and make them feel welcomed.”

A nervous vampire raised his hand, “Umm…sir, what is there skill?”

”Glad you asked me that Harry…” Angelus smirked and sat down in a big leather chair at the head of the table.

“Uhh…Henry sir.” The vampire corrected Angelus nervously.

”I don’t care.” Angelus said and changed his smirk to a serious glare at the vampire named Henry. Henry took a big gulp as Angelus turned to Eli and Rufus. “Gentlemen…show uhh…is it Henry?” Angelus turned back to the squirming vampire, “Show Henry a little demonstration.”

Rufus and Eli turned to Henry and one of them mumbled a single word in ancient language and then poof, the Henry was burning up in his own chair. He screamed out in agony as Angelus watched in amusement. Within seconds Henry was a pile of dust sitting in the chair.

Angelus turned to Eli and Rufus and smiled, “That made my day….” Angelus turned back and addressed his nervous staff members, “Some may think Eli and Rufus here are warlocks…but they’re not…” Angelus got up out of his seat and became to circle around the table as he continued explaining, “They are wizards, hired for operation meltdown…”

”Meltdown sir?” a vampire questioned quietly.

“Hey if you want to be dust like Henry please interrupt again.” Angelus said.

The vampire slouched back in his seat and wished he could hide under the table.

“As I was saying…” Angelus stepped up to the necrotempered glass and gazed out into the city, “The plan…my plan, which came me a few weeks ago, gazing out the window, seemed so impossible, so out of reach…wanting to leave me in the shadows forever.” Angelus turned to Eli and Rufus, “Until you guys.”

”Plan boss? I thought we were already following through with a plan.” A random vampire spoke up.

“That is true but this new…” Angelus searched for the right word, “…inspiration…it will make our first plan even better.”

”And that would be sir?”

”To get rid of the sun…for good.” Angelus said.

Everyone in their seats straightened up with interest at their boss’s proposal.

”You can’t be serious…its impossible.” A vampire burst out after a moment of silence.

”Let’s let Rufus and Eli be the judge of that…” Angelus turned to the two wizards, “Is it impossible?”

Eli and Rufus exchanged looks with each other before turning to Angelus, “I—we don’t know sir.” Eli spoke up.

”We never had that request.” Rufus added.

”I’m requesting it now…it must be done.” Angelus demanded and slammed his fist down on the conference table.

Everyone seemed startled, even the two wizards.

“Angelus…” Eli started, “Our power is not strong enough to make the sun just disappear…it would put the whole galaxy into chaos…”

”Unless…” Rufus spoke up which made Eli and Angelus turn their heads to him, “Unless you don’t make the sun disappear.”

”What are you getting at?” Eli asked.

Rufus turned to his fellow wizard friend, “All we have to do is have an eclipse or cool down the sun and turn the fireball into nothing.”

Eli seemed a little uneasy about the suggestions, sort of like he didn’t want the sun to go away. However, Angelus started to put on a satisfying smile.

“Get working on it.” Angelus smiled at the Rufus and Eli.

*~*~*~

Sunnydale…

Buffy just stood their in shock as she continued to process the news that Angelus is back. She didn’t even realize the vampire that was holding her earlier was beginning to advance to her again until Spike came up and tackled him.


Buffy shook her head and tried to come back to reality. She watched Spike stake the vampire and then turn to her with a little pissed off expression.

”What the hell happened? Why didn’t you kill him?” Spike asked.

Buffy stared at Spike for a minute before her face turned to anger too.

”Why didn’t you tell me?” she asked firmly.

”Tell you? Tell you about what?!” Spike asked.

”Angelus!” she shouted and both of them were struck with silence.

”What?” Spike asked again, ‘How did she find out?’ he thought to himself.

“Don’t lie to me Spike…he’s back isn’t he?” Buffy asked seriously.

Spike stared at her and knew that he couldn’t protect from the truth anymore, “Yes…” he mumbled.

Buffy shook her head and let out a few hiccups of a laugh. Spike watched her as she threw her stake off into the distance and look around her surroundings, seeming to look for something to hit.

“Buffy…” Spike spoke up softly.

“Why didn’t you say something?!” she burst out as soon as he said her name, “Why?!!” Tears formed in her eyes and within a matter of seconds they were streaming down her cheek.

Spike, seeing the tears took a few steps towards her to give her comfort, “Pet look—“

Buffy stepped back and rejected him, “No! Don’t touch me…you…you lied to me…” her last few words came out in a whisper.

Spike frowned at hearing her harsh words. “No…I was protecting you…” Spike said calmly.

“How can I trust you again…?” she whispered as she turned her back to Spike.

However Spike heard her whisper, “Hey…” he stepped forward and turned her shoulder around so she was face to face with him, “You can trust me…I didn’t know about Angelus until Clem told me…I swear I wasn’t lying to you.”

Buffy sniffed and then moved forward and wrapped her arms around him for a hug. Spike pulled her into his chest and he stroke her back as he heard her cry some more, “Oh god he’s back…he’s back…” she mumbled in-between sobs.

Spike continued to rub her back until her sobs subsided. He pulled her away so he could look her in the eye, “I’m not going to let anything happen to you…I promise…okay? We’ll get through this…we always do.” He gave her a little smile to reassure her everything would turn out for the best.

Buffy wiped away the rest of her tears and sniffed her nose. “Yeah…” she agreed with Spike, “I’m tired of this....I’m not being pushed around anymore.”

Spike noticed that she had a spark in her eye that he thought was long gone. He now knew that his Buffy was back in the game.


TBC….if I could cast Eli and Rufus I would have David Arquette as Eli and Shane West as Rufus. Now things are going to get interesting…Spuffy is going to be heating up.