Chapter 18: Stain Her Blood

After the exhausting night that Buffy had, Spike insisted that she go back to the house and sleep. Buffy didn’t object; she thought she could go to bed and sleep another 80 years—she was so tired. Her emotional state had dropped so much from just hearing that Angelus was back. Buffy felt like she just got beaten up by the Master, Adam, and Glory all together.

Wanting nothing more than peace, Buffy lied in bed and let her dreams comfort her in her time of distress…


Buffy’s Dream…

Buffy stood centimeters from the edge of falling to her death. The last time she stood on the top of the tower she found a sense of peace when looking over the town of Sunnydale and at the sun rising. Even though chaos had erupted all around as walls of dimensions collided with open another, Buffy found peace. She found answers. But now, taking a second look she found nothing.

‘Everything was so clear…so shiny and beautiful…’ Buffy thought as she stood in the same spot that she jumped from the platform. At the moment she was wearing a black dress that made her blend in with the darkness that was all around.

”Come on Buffy!” a voice that felt more like an echo that had been traveling in a cave came from behind Buffy.

Buffy turned around and faced the young girl. It was Dawn at the age of 15 standing near the stairs of the top of the platform. She was wearing the same ritual dress the day Buffy died.

”You’re hair is longer.” Buffy simply said, not really focusing on how long it’s been since she had seen her sister.

Dawn ignored the comment, “Come on…” she said, wanting Buffy to come down the stairs with her. “Everyone is waiting…”

Buffy turned around and looked back over the edge of the tower and into nothing.

”Isn’t this the right direction?” Buffy asked while still looking over the edge.

Dawn shook her head, “That’s a dead end...”

Buffy turned and faced Dawn and then looked down at her dark dress and noticed how dirty it was, and that it had little rips all over it. It was the same dress she wore when she dug herself out of her grave. “I should have dressed lighter…” Buffy looked up at Dawn, “Is it too dark for you?”

Dawn stared at Buffy, “At a time like this…it’s appropriate.”

Dawn slowly raised her hand towards Buffy, wanting Buffy to come forward and take her hand.

Buffy walked slowly towards Dawn. Each step she took the tower would rock back and forth. Once she reached Dawn, Buffy grabbed the small hand and felt a breeze blow around her. Both Dawn and Buffy were oblivious to the cold breeze and just stood staring at one another.

”It has to have the blood.” Dawn said to Buffy after a long silence between them.

Not knowing how to answer, Buffy looked around and saw she wasn’t on the top of the tower anymore. Buffy and Dawn were now standing at the bottom of the tower. Buffy glanced around and saw the figure of Ben, bloody and dead on the ground.

“What the…?” Buffy mumbled to herself.

She turned to where Dawn stood, “Dawn what is—“. Buffy stopped in mid-sentence when she saw that Dawn had walked away in another direction.

“Dawn?!” Buffy called out and started running after her.

However with ever step she took Dawn seemed to be more out of reach. Giving in that she’d never reach Dawn, Buffy turned around and looked down in defeat.

”Friend of the bride or groom?” a voice asked Buffy.

Buffy raised her head and saw Ta'hoffren standing in front of her. Buffy’s eyes widened when she saw his face.

“She’s a friend of both of us actually.” A guy’s voice said.

Buffy turned to the voice and saw Anya and Xander.

”Xander?” Buffy said quietly, and looking as if she might cry any moment.

Xander and Anya were linked arm in arm, and dressed as if they were the bride and groom of a wedding.

”You’re getting married?” Buffy asked, looking confused.

Anya ignored Buffy’s question and instantly asked, “Did you bring a gift?” seeming very excited.

”Death is my gift.” Buffy said in a daze.

Xander and Anya turned to one another, “I don’t think you can exchange that gift…but hey, could have been worse” Xander said.

“At least it’s not a bunny.” Anya said.

Buffy grabbed Xander’s arm and pulled him aside, “Xander…what’s going on?” she begged.

Anya stepped up, “Don’t you remember?”

Buffy paused and glanced back and forth between them, “…no” she said in a small voice.

“Don’t worry.” Anya patted Buffy on the shoulder, “You’ll remember.”

Anya and Xander linked their arms and started walked away towards a bunch of chairs that Buffy hadn’t noticed until that very moment.

The area had chairs on the right and left of a short aisle. Buffy would have no doubt she going to Xander and Anya’s wedding until she saw that there was a coffin.

She watched as Anya and Xander walked up towards the coffin and separate to stand at either end of it.

Buffy, perplexed about what was going on, decided to walk towards the coffin to understand what was going on, and to see who was in the coffin.

As Buffy started walking down the aisle she passed familiar faces sitting in the seats. She saw Giles, Tara, Willow, Riley, her mother, Dawn (again), Oz, Wesley, and Cordelia. As Buffy passed each one of them not a word was spoken, Buffy just kept moving in a daze towards the coffin.

Before Buffy looked into the wooden box she looked at Xander, “I thought you were getting married?”

Xander shrugged, “Things don’t go as planned...”

”But you’re all dressed up.” Buffy frowned when looking at Anya and Xander in their wedding outfits.

”So are you.” Anya said and looked down at Buffy’s dark dress.

Buffy looked back down and still saw the rips and mud covering the plain black dress. And when she looked up and around Buffy noticed she was all alone except for the casket sitting right in front of her.

She took many deep breaths as she moved closer and closer to the opening of the casket. And once she gazed over the edge and inside the box she was face to face with herself.

An unconscious Buffy laid still in the box in the same dress as the other Buffy that was standing out the casket. Buffy squinted her eyes while looking at her dead self. ‘What?’ she thought to herself.

A hand came out and touched the shoulder of the Buffy standing outside the casket. The touch was comforting and for some reason Buffy had the feeling that it might be Spike. The thought made her relax and turn around to face the owner of the hand.

Buffy gasped when she saw who was really standing behind her.

“Surprise” Angelus said with a smirk. His hand grip on Buffy’s shoulder tightened and he quickly leaned forward and tilted her neck to the side to bite her.

Buffy didn’t have a chance to even let out a scream as he drank from her neck.




Buffy sat straight up in bed with a gasp. The pain of Angelus drinking from her in the dream felt so real that she lifted her hand and searched her neck. And when she drew her hand down she saw that her hand was covered with blood. Buffy’s eyes widened a little as she checked again her neck again and felt two little holes.


Down the hall of Buffy’s room Spike had fallen into a deep sleep in his own bed after sitting up for hours, not being able to sleep.

Spike’s eyes fluttered open when his nose registered the smell of metallic human blood. He looked around and quickly registered that Buffy was in his room standing at the doorway.

”Buffy?” he sat up in bed. All he was wearing was his black pants. His shirt and shoes were stripped off.

Buffy didn’t say anything and just stood there.

”What’s wrong? Why do I smell bl—“ he stopped when he saw that Buffy’s hand was covered in blood.

He jumped out of bed and was over by her in a split second.

“What did you do?” he asked as he check her arm for a wound but found nothing.

Buffy moved her hair slowly away and tilted her neck a little to show Spike the two holes.

“Bloody…” was all Spike got out as he stared at her neck.


Las Vegas….

Angelus was sleeping in his apartment on the top floor of The Crypt hotel when he gasped awake for some reason. He opened his mouth a couple times and realized there was a different taste on his tongue and teeth. Angelus ran his finger over his lip and saw blood. He tasted his finger and after a moment he started to smile and laugh hysterically. Angelus collapsed back into his pillows as he let his laughter subside.

He stared up at his ceiling with a smile, “She’s back” he said to himself. It wasn’t a question; he knew it for a fact. The blood on his lips didn’t lie.



TBC...