Chapter 20: Double Dealing

‘I really don’t want to open my eyes.’ Buffy thought to herself as she lied in bed. ‘Opening my eyes would mean facing all those problems that the world seems to want me to have, and that is something I really don’t want to deal with.’ She concluded with herself.

However, another voice in the back of her head, a voice that sounded a lot like Giles, was telling her to get up.

‘Buffy you have a scared birthright to protect mankind…get up.’ The voice of her former Watcher told her.

‘Come on Giles!’ Buffy’s thoughts argued with Giles, ‘I’m so tired…just give me five more minutes.’

‘In five minutes the world could implode…everyone is counting on you.’ Giles voice argued.

Buffy fluttered her eyes open quickly and stared up at the ceiling. ‘Okay you got my attention.’ She thought, ‘Stupid voice that sounds too much like Giles.’

She glanced around the room and noted how different the bedroom looked with rays of sunshine creeping through wooden boards that were placed on top of the two windows.

A small sigh next to Buffy made her turn her attention to her companion sleeping just centimeters from her.

‘Were we sleeping this close before?’ she thought while looking at Spike’s peaceful face.

Her thoughts drifted elsewhere instead of why he was so close to her. ‘He really does look different’ she thought, ‘However it could be because you never seen him sleep before.’

Buffy took her time studying his features on his face, his cheekbones, his scar on his eyebrow, and his pink lips. They were the same lips she kissed just a few days ago…voluntarily.

‘Why did I kiss him?’ Buffy asked herself. ‘He has a soul now…which he got for me…but that can’t be the only reason why you did it…right? I mean he IS good now…but he’s Spike…the same Spike that tried to kill me eighty years ago…the same Spike that double crossed me whenever he had the chance and chained you in his crypt…but…he’s the same Spike that didn’t tell Glory about Dawn being the key and the same Spike that watched over Dawn and my friends while I was gone for so long…he was the same Spike that changed his whole life for me even though I didn’t ask him to.’

As Buffy watched Spike let another sigh and continue to sleep peaceful she reached over and caressed his cheek. At the moment she didn’t care if he woke up and was caught. After all, she thought he deserved much more than what she was offering. He deserved compassion.

*~*~*~*~*

Las Vegas…

Angelus walked down the main hallway and into the huge conference room where everyone was gathered at. In his hands he was carrying a small worn out shoe box. He walked half way to his seat and dumped out the shoe boxes contents. A bunch of papers and photos scattered across the conference table.

“Gentlemen, grab a photo…” Angelus ordered.

Everyone reached out in the middle of the table and grabbed one of the papers and looked to see Buffy’s face in pictures and hand drawings. Everyone’s photo or drawing wasn’t the same, but most of the pictures were taken when Buffy was young and in high school. It was obvious that Angelus had saved his things from his ‘Sunnydale Days’.

“I want you to study this woman’s face…” Angelus said, “I don’t care how you do it, but I want her face implanted in each one of your minds.”

Eli was also seated around the table next to Rufus. He looked at the photo of Buffy taken from a distance. She was standing outside of the old Sunnydale High school talking with Giles and Xander.

”Why do we need memorize her face?” Eli asked.

Angelus looked and stared at Eli’s cold expression. Eli knew who was in the picture and didn’t like where this meeting was going. Every since last night Eli had a new opinion of Angelus—he didn’t like him.

“Because I told you to.” Angelus said staring Eli straight in the eye.

“What if we find her?” one random vamp asked.

“Bring her to me…” Angelus said, “And I want her unharmed…I want her brought to me fresh and alive. Any bruises I see on her skin will result in all of your gruesome horrible deaths.”

”You won’t have much of a staff if you kill us all.” Eli challenged Angelus. Most of the vamps around the table couldn’t believe that those words came out of the wizard’s mouth.

Angelus didn’t say a word. All he did was stare daggers at the witty wizard that seemed to like walking on thin ice.

Rufus glanced back and forth between Eli and Angelus; he clearly didn’t understand the tension that was going on between them. “She’s human?” Rufus tried to change the subject.

“Very much, and with a few extra skills.” Angelus finally turned away from Eli. “She’s the Slayer.” He said.

Everyone started whispering instantly about the mention of the word ‘Slayer’.

“All of you shut up!” Angelus snapped, which made everyone grow to be quiet. “I know she’s the Slayer and she’s the one person you fear most…but not today…you will seek her out.”

A few members of Angelus’s staff gulped at the request.

”Also…if you see the souled vampire…the one and only Spike…Willy...I want him also brought to me…he may be accompanying the Slayer when you catch him…” Angelus explained.

”What’s he look like? Don’t you have a picture of him?” Eli asked.

“Bleached blonde hair…leather coat…wears all black…talks with a British accent…basically Billy Idol’s twin.” Angelus said while staring at Eli, “I believe you already saw him.”

Rufus turned to Eli, wanting an explanation but Eli ignored him.

“Both the souled William and the Slayer will show up probably within the next few days…” Angelus explained.

”Why?” one asked.

”Because gentlemen that sun out there…” Angelus pointed out at the opened window. “Well today was its last sunrise.” Angelus told them.

Eli’s eyes widened with surprise.

”Isn’t that right Rufus? Eli?” Angelus turned and looked at the wizards.

”That’s right…everything is set.” Rufus said to Angelus with a proud smile.

Eli turned and looked at Rufus in amazement. He had no idea about this whole plan. Eli looked back at Angelus, who was smirking at Eli’s confusion.

‘He double crossed me…’ Eli thought as he looked into Angelus’s evilness.

TBC...