Chapter 21: The Journal


Las Vegas…



When the meeting was adjourned Eli grabbed Rufus by the arm and pulled him away from all the other staff members.

”We need to talk.” Eli said sharply.

The two wizards walked down the hallway and into the elevator. Once the doors shut Eli turned to Rufus.

“What the hell?!” Eli started.

”I see you’re upset.” Rufus sighed and stared forward. He crossed his arms against his chest and seemed to be waiting for the doors to slide open.

“You betrayed me! You went behind my back and---“

”And like you weren’t!” Rufus exclaimed and turned to Eli.

Eli had to do a double take at that comment.

“What?” Eli breathed out.

”Oh, don’t play stupid…I know…Angelus told me everything.” Rufus said harshly.

“Angelus?” Eli scrunched up his face. “What did he tell you?”

For some reason he was anxious to find out more about Angelus and his evil plans.

“He told me how you were trying to stop all the plans and go off and do your own thing.” Rufus said.

Eli knew that what Rufus was saying was mostly true but he would never admit.

”Angelus is wrong.” Eli said.

Rufus glanced over at his brother wizard and let out a huff of a laugh.

“You know what?” Rufus asked and paused, “It doesn’t matter anymore…whether you are a team player or not, you can’t stop this spell from happening.” Rufus said.

The elevator dinged and then the doors slide open. Rufus stepped out and started down the hallway towards his room.

He stopped half way and turned towards Eli in the elevator.

”If I were you, I’d either shape up and beg for Angelus’s trust or get out of town before he kills you for getting in his way.”

Rufus turned around and walked to his room. Eli just watched the doors slide shut in his face.

*~*~*~*~*~*~

Sunnydale…

After Buffy woke up once in the morning, she fell back into a deep sleep again. The hours in the day passed while Spike and Buffy slept, and soon it was sunset.

When Buffy finally woke up she found herself refreshed and comfortable. She also found an arm placed securely on her waist and another hand holding onto hers. Buffy finally figured out that it was Spike’s hands and that he was spooned up against her back.

‘Is it weird that I don’t find this at all weird and creepy?’ Buffy thought to herself as she kept perfectly still. ‘It was seemed like just yesterday that I hated him being in the same time zone with me and now here he is holding my hand….and I’m letting him!’ While Buffy’s thoughts ran wild in her mind she subconsciously started rubbing his thumb across the top of his hand. Her movement started to wake Spike up.

Spike slowly opened his eyes and found himself face with Buffy’s hair. He started to move his fingers around and noted to himself that he felt Buffy’s body in his hands. When Spike saw Buffy was moving her head a little and clearly awake he backed away from her body slowly.

Buffy turned her body around and lied face up on the bed as Spike did. They both turned and looked at one another.

”Sorry, I didn’t mean to…” Spike started.

”It’s alright.” Buffy interrupted.

They glanced away from one another for a second before turning back to each other.

“How’d you sleep?” Spike’s voice came out a little nervous.

“Good…” Buffy said and sat up and looked through the cracks of the windows. “Looks like we slept through the day; its sunset now.”

Spike sat up and took a glance too, “Yeah…you’re right.”

Spike turned around to Buffy. For the first time he noticed how close she was. Their faces were inches away from each other.

“So…do you want to patrol?” Spike asked.

Buffy looked down at her lap, “Actually…” Then she looked up at him, “I think its time we get a look at the big picture…”

Spike looked up at her with a confused look on his face.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Spike and Buffy rode down the streets of Sunnydale on Spike’s motorcycle. Buffy held on tight to Spike’s waist from behind him.

”Are you sure you remember where you put it?!” Buffy yelled over the sound of the motorcycle so Spike could hear her.

”Yeah!” he yelled back, “We’re almost there!”

They rode off out of the town of Sunnydale and onto the highway. After about a few miles Spike made a turn and slowly made his way onto a dirt path. In the middle of the road he came to a complete stop. Buffy got off the motorcycle and started to look around into the dark night.

”Where are we? I thought you said it was here?” Buffy turned back to Spike.

”Keep your knickers on…we have to walk to get the rest of the way…there is brush up ahead and I didn’t want to drive us through a bunch of jaguar bushes.” Spike said and set his motorcycle next to a tree.

“Oh…” Buffy mumbled.

Spike pointed down the path, “Shall we?”

Buffy and Spike walked side by side in silence. Along their path they had to maneuver around big piles of brush and muddy areas.

”Well…here we are.” Spike said.

Buffy walked forward and looked up at a sign that labeled an entrance to their destination. ‘Sunnydale Junkyard’ is what the sign read in spray paint.

They started walking through the junkyard around old washing machines and moldy furniture just sitting in the grass.

”Why’d you place out here? I thought you would…I don’t know, take it with you.” Buffy made small conversation.

”Well…I placed it out here a few years after you….” Spike glanced back at Buffy. They both stopped walking and shared a look. He didn’t want to mention her death so he skipped over that part. “Anyway…I didn’t want the battery to die…I mean it’s a classic…”

Buffy rolled her eyes and walked her way around a maze of old car parts. Spike stopped in place and stared off at something, causing Buffy to bump into his back. She backed up and stood beside him and stared at the same thing he did.

”Well…there it is.” Spike sighed.

Placed between a few other pieces of junk sat Spike’s old 1950s black Desoto in high grass. A bunch of leaves covered the top of the car and the headlights were broken. The car defiantly looked its age.

“We can’t drive that.” Buffy said.

”I know…” Spike said and took a few steps forward.

”Then why are we here?!” Buffy asked loudly, not really caring if any beasties around the area heard her.

Spike didn’t answer her question; he was too busy trying to get the back of the car opened.

Buffy rolled her eyes and went over to help him. While he tried to open the back door she tried to open the front passenger door.

”Seems to have rusted shut or something.” Spike mumbled.

”You think?!” Buffy said as she pulled with all her might and then finally the door flew off.

Both of them looked down at the car door still in her one hand and then looked up at each other. They shrugged and Buffy threw the car door across the junkyard. Spike started to rummage through the car, throwing beer bottles and newspapers out of his way.

“So if you didn’t want the car then what did you want?” Buffy asked as she crossed her arms across her stomach, seeming like she was cold from the chill in the air.

”Well you said you wanted to get a look at the big picture right?” Spike asked as he still searched inside the car.

”Yeah…” Buffy admitted.

”Well…” Spike came out of the car and in brought out in both hands weapons. “…you can’t look out the big picture without big weapons.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Buffy and Spike traveled back to Sunnydale and made a pit-stop at the Magic Box. They walked in through the front door and looked at all the garbage and ruins that made up the whole shop.

“You look out here for any weapons and I’ll gather the ones we already got in the back.” Spike said and exited to the back training room.

”Are you sure that battery you took from the car will work on car you got? And by the way, where is this ‘other’ car you got?” Buffy called to Spike in the back room.

”Don’t worry about it…” Spike shouted back to her.

Buffy walked behind what was the Magic Box store counter. ‘I bet if Anya was here she would kill me for being on this side of the counter.’ Buffy thought to herself and smiled which slowly turned into a frown. She knew it was her fault that she kept reminding herself about her friends and family being gone.

Buffy took a deep breath and concentrated on finding weapons again. ‘There is a time and place for grieving and that is not now.’ She thought to herself.

Buffy opened a few of the desk drawers and only found old newspapers and blank order forms from the Magic Box. After she shut those drawers she noticed that a few books on the bookcase across the room had fallen down. Buffy walked across the room, towards the fallen books and started to pick them up and read them. ‘The Pygmies Dark Monsters’ one book read which raised Buffy’s eyebrow. She set the book down and read the next book title, ‘Creatures of the Night in the Western Hemisphere’. The last book on the ground however didn’t have a title. Buffy picked it up and dusted it off and noticed in the corner there was an inscription of someone’s name that has slightly faded away.

Buffy squinted her eyes and tried to read out what the name was, “We…s…Wesley Wyndam-Pryce.” She read.

‘Oh my god…’ Buffy thought to herself.

“This is Wesley’s journal…” Buffy said to herself.

‘Why would it be in the Magic Box?’ Buffy thought to herself.


*~*~*~*~*~*~

L.A. 2005…

Wesley sat behind a few piles of cardboard boxes writing in his leather journal vigorously. He seemed scared and trying to be quiet, as if he was in hiding.

He wrote:

’Dear Giles,

I am going to be brief since I don’t know how much time I have left. I’m giving you a heads up that Angelus is back and seems to have planned to stay. This was never supposed to happen. He has already gone through to my gang one by one and gotten to them…I don’t know how to even describe the hell that this is. I wish best of luck to you and hopefully you will get the news of his return and will find a way to stop him.

God have mercy on us all…

Wesley’


Wesley shut his leather journal and placed it in a huge envelope and sealed it.

“Wesley?” the taunting voice of Angelus echoed in the room Wesley sat hiding in.

Wesley took a deep breath and gulp. He knew that he would not make it till morning but he hoped that his journal would. That was his last dying wish.

TBC…..