Author's Chapter Notes:
Recap:

Buffy jumped off the tower to save the world and died. The Scooby gang performed the resurrection spell to bring Buffy back but due to the demons interrupting them, there were consequences. Buffy emerges from the grave 80 years after she died and finds a vampire controlled Sunnydale. Spike comes back to Sunnydale after hearing about a Slayer fighting in the Hellmouth. He has no clue that it’s Buffy.
However, when Buffy and Spike meet again and he tries to help her get through a tough time. Meanwhile in Las Vegas Angelus is running the show and trying to get his way. He hires two wizards, Rufus (the bad guy) and Eli (the good guy) to help his so called ‘Plan’.
Buffy finds out that Angelus is alive after he magically bites her in her dream. Spike and Buffy train. Spike reveals that he has a soul and tells Buffy how he got it and why.
Buffy finds an old journal of Wesley’s that reveals that Angel turned into Angelus and murdered all of Angel’s friends.
Chapter 22: The Secret Garden Part 1


Sunnydale


Spike packed all the weapons and materials into the back of the car that he found and repaired. He shut the back door and then opened the driver’s door and slid in, seeing that Buffy had her seatbelt on and looked ready to go. She had elbow propped up near the window and her head resting on her palm looking out the window, turned away from Spike.

“I think were ready to go.” Spike said and turned the key and started the car. He looked over at Buffy and saw that she didn’t move her face from the window. Spike took a deep breath and then exhaled, then began to drive away from The Magic Box—where they were parked in front of.

*~*~*~*

An Hour Later…

The whole car ride Spike and Buffy were silent. Frequently Spike checked over at Buffy to see if she had moved her head away from her window. And when he saw that she didn’t, he let out a big sigh. Spike was surprised that Buffy didn’t snap at him for all the sighs he let out because in fact he was annoying himself.

Spike decided to try and strike up a conversation and get Buffy to talk.

”I uh…I spoke with Clem…told him what we’re up to…” Spike glanced over at Buffy and then back at the road. “He also helped place the engine in this car…I think it will make it to Las Vegas…He also wishes us luck and said he’d keep an eye on things around the town.”

Spike glanced back at Buffy and saw that she still hasn’t budged an inch.

“Alright luv…what’s wrong?” Spike let out another deep breath. “I don’t fancy talking to myself this whole trip.”

Buffy didn’t utter a word.

”Buffy?” Spike made longer glances from her to the road. “Buffy…will you talk to me please?!” He raised his voice a little and hit the steering wheel in frustration.

Buffy quickly turned her head and faced Spike, and when he looked over at her he saw that her eyes had sorrow and sadness in them. His anger that she wasn’t talking to him seemed to melt away and turned into worry.

“How did my sister and friends die?” Buffy asked in a whisper.

Spike pressed his foot on the break and the car came to complete stop in the middle of the road. He turned the engine off and stared out at the front window to the darkness of the open road.

“What?” Spike asked quietly as he kept staring forward.

Buffy pulled out from under her coat Wesley’s journal that was she was kept close to her throughout the whole trip. She looked over at Spike and then down at the journal and passed it to him—holding it out for him to take.

“I found this in the Magic Box.” Buffy said.

Spike glanced down and saw a dusty old journal. Without looking Buffy in the eye, Spike took the journal she held out for him. He gazed over at the journal and passed his fingers over Wesley’s signature on the front cover.

”I read some of it…” Buffy explained, “Angelus killed them all…he killed Angel’s friends…and Wesley documented it all until he was murdered too…”

”…I know.” Spike whispered, “I remember…”

”Did Angelus kill my friends and sister?” Buffy looked over at Spike.

Spike, for the first time, took his eyes off the journal and looked up into Buffy’s eyes.

”No…” Spike answered after a few moments, “He didn’t kill them.”

Buffy bent her head down and looked into her lap.

”Then how did they—how did they die?” she asked.

“Listen pet, I don’t really think you should know. I don’t think you’re even supposed to know.” Spike said.

“Did they die naturally?” Buffy looked back up at Spike.

After a long pause he answered, “…yes…”

Buffy shifted back and forth to each of Spike’s eyes, studying them to see if he was telling the truth. She turned back to the window when she couldn’t find one spark of a lie in his eyes.

“That’s all I wanted to know.” Buffy whispered.

Spike let out a deep sigh and then turned the key and started up the car again. The rest of the way he kept quiet and didn’t bother trying to talk with Buffy. And somehow in the silence he could hear the tears trail down her cheeks and fall into her lap.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Las Vegas….

Angelus sat in his office at his desk and watched the clock on the wall keep ticking away.

”It is now 6:20 AM.” Angelus said and spun in his chair to his companion, Rufus.

Rufus gave Angelus a proud goofy smile, “Its time for the sun to rise…”

Angelus got up out of his seat and looked out the window to the city of Las Vegas. The sun was no where in sight.

”Well it was…time for the sun to rise…” Angelus said as he kept looking out his window.

“Our plan worked…the spell is cast and like you wanted—no more sun.” Rufus said.

Angelus turned to Rufus, “First off…it was my plan.”

”Right…right…sorry.” Rufus quickly stumbled.

“So…how strong is this spell? What exactly happened?” Angelus asked.

”Well…I WAS going to burn out the sun like what was planned… but I didn’t have enough power without Eli. The simplest way to create darkness was to just stop the earth.” Rufus said.

Angelus narrowed his eyes, “You stopped the earth?”

Rufus got a little bit nervous and skittish at the way Angelus was looking at him. “Umm…yes…for as long as we need the darkness, the earth will not move.”

Both of them stared back at each other in silence until Angelus let out a hiccup of a laugh. Then after a few laughs he started snickering evilly.

”Are you telling me….” Angelus started in between his laughter, “That…that…somewhere on the other side of the world humans are trying to go to sleep and instead of seeing a full moon will be getting the sizzling sun?”

”Well…yes…” Rufus gave a half grin.

Angelus got up out of his chair and started walking towards the door. As he kept walking his laughter did not die down. In fact, his laughter seemed to get louder as he exited into the hallway.

Rufus just stood alone in the darkness that was coming inside the window. On his face he displayed one look….worry.


Somewhere Between Sunnydale and Las Vegas….


“Where are we?” Buffy spoke up for the first time in hours.

”Trust me…” Spike muttered.

After being on the main highway for so long, Buffy didn’t seem to be worried about where they were going. However, after Spike took a turn onto a dusty old road she was started to get skeptical about where they were exactly going.

Buffy looked ahead and saw a sign that has big bold lettering. However she couldn’t read it due to the darkness of the day and the speed of the car was moving. She turned around and looked back at the sign when they zoomed by it.

”What did that sign say?” Buffy asked and turned back around and faced Spike.

“It’s just an old sign…” Spike said as he kept his eyes glued to the road in front of him.

”But what did it say?” Buffy asked again.

”Well…” Spike let out a sigh, “It just said that we entered a restricted area…but like a said, the sign is outdated and old.”

”Restricted Area? What does that mean? Are we—are we on government property or something?” Buffy questioned.

”Old government property.” Spike answered.

“What?!”

”Relax…this place has been abandoned for twenty or so years…besides, who’s going to stop us?” Spike asked.

”I don’t, maybe the government.” Buffy said sarcastically.

“Luv…if you haven’t noticed already…the is no one here…” Spike said.

Buffy looked forward and saw a bunch of big buildings becoming clearer and clearer.

”Where are we?” she whispered.

Spike pulled the car to the side of one of the big warehouse buildings and turned off the car. He opened the car door but before he stepped out he looked over at a confused Buffy and said, “Well…it use to be Area 51.”

Las Vegas…

Angelus stood in the elevator by himself. His eyes were glued in on watching the floor numbers pass by quickly down passing the lobby and basement. Once the elevator reached the basement floor Angelus reached into his pocket and pulled out a small key and opened a box under the basement button that was labeled ‘A’. Angelus put his key in the slot and turned it round and round until he heard a click.

The elevator began to move again. It went down below the basement and to a secret floor. The doors opened and Angelus stepped out into a damp and dark quarters. The sound of pipes dripping and human moans could be heard along with the sound of Angelus’s shoes walking down a hallway.

“Please…please…” a cry was let out of a woman.

As Angelus continued to walk down a path he passed many dark cages containing weak figures. A few times as Angelus passed by a cage a fragile hand would reach out and try to touch him.

The place was a prison for hundreds upon hundreds of woman, men, and children. They were his prisoners because they were weak Angelus was strong. They were his prisoners because they were human while Angelus didn’t have a touch of humanity. They were Angelus’s prisoners because no one knew about them; no one knew they even existed down in his dark chambers. It was Angelus’s little secret.

TBC…