Chapter 23: The Secret Garden Part 2


“So Area 51 huh?” Buffy asked, as she followed close behind Spike as they walked in an abandoned military warehouse full of old tanks and airplanes. “Thought this place was were they kept all the aliens and crap.”

”Aliens?” Spike snorted, “You actually believe in all that outer space nonsense?”

”I can’t believe you’re actually asking me that question?” Buffy replied quietly, however there was no need to keep quiet since her voice still echoed in the big open space.

“With all the demons and vampires around why is it hard to believe that there could be creatures from outside space?”

”Well luv, think of it like this…the government just planted those dots in the sky so they could distract the public into thinking that there was something out their in infinite space while all along the danger was here on earth, at their front door, with demons, vampires, and well…evil.” Spike explained.

Buffy was speechless. Spike’s explanation seemed to actually make sense. And after a few minutes of walking in the darkness in a deep thought, Buffy bumped into something hard and fell down on the ground. She shook her head and then saw in the darkness that Spike was crouched over her, seeing if she was alright.

”You okay?” Spike asked with concern.

”Yeah…it’s just a little hard to see in here is all.” Buffy said as she stood back up on her feet.

Spike reached in his pocket and brought out his lighter and gave it a flick. And then in a split second Buffy could see Spike’s face again as he held the light between their faces.

”Here.” Spike said as he let the flame go out and handed the lighter to Buffy.

“Thanks.” She mumbled. She took the steel lighter in her hands and let the flame consume the darkness around them.

“Just don’t waste the light.” Spike said and gave her a small smile.

Buffy let the flame go out and slid the lighter into her front pants pocket. She felt Spike grab her hand and took them further into the warehouse.

*~*~*~*~

“So what exactly are we looking for?” Buffy asked as watched Spike through a bunch of files in one of the offices they entered on the second floor.

“A map.” Spike simply said.

“Map of what?” Buffy sighed as she leaned against the wall in the office, “And how do you know this office has this special map you are looking for.”

”Map of Las Vegas…and I don’t know this office has the information we are looking for….” Spike said as he threw another file down on the ground. “Why don’t you make yourself useful and check one of the other offices on this floor.”

Buffy rolled her eyes and ventured off out of the office.

“And don’t go leave this floor without telling me!” Spike yelled out after her.

”Yeah, yeah!” she yelled back, her voice echoing down the hallway.

Buffy entered one the nicer offices on the floor. She probably guessed that the office belonged formerly to a higher leveled officer or something. All over the room there were papers thrown about and books stacked up waist high.

“What a mess…” Buffy mumbled as she ran her fingers over some dusty books, causing her fingers to get dirty. She ran her hands down her pants, hoping that some of the dust would come off. When Buffy looked back at her hands she saw that they were still dirty.

When a stack of newspapers slid off the big desk and hit the ground, Buffy jumped back a little and held her hands to her chest in startled state.

“Man…” she mumbled to herself as she took her hands off her chest and let out a deep breath. Buffy walked over to the stack of newspapers and picked up the first one she saw. She squinted while trying to read the headline of the newspaper; however she had no luck making out any of the words since it was so dark in the office. Buffy reached into her pocket and brought out Spike’s lighter and flicked it open.

‘DIASTER STRIKES LAS VEGAS’ Buffy read the bold big bold capital letters that took over the page.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



2008…

Las Vegas…


“…We've only just begun to live…” Angelus sang as he strolled past an overturned car on fire and watched two vampires chase a group of humans down the street.

Angelus just continued to smile and sing ‘We’ve Only Just Began’ by the Carpenters; “White lace and promises. A kiss for luck and we're on our way.”

“Please, please help!!!” someone screamed in a distance.

To sound of pleading merciful screaming made Angelus smile widen even more. He felt like kicking up his heals and toasting to his success of taking over the city in an amount of hours. Once night had fallen he gathered all his vampire minions and announced it was ‘dinner time’.

“Mommy!” a child screamed.

Angelus picked up the smell of fear and followed it into a nearby alley. He saw a woman and her two kids huddled cornered by three growling hungry vampires. Angelus watched a smirk and thought ‘It’s like a scene from my favorite movie’.

“Leave us alone!” the mother shrieked and tried to hide her children behind her body.

“Yes…let them be.” Angelus spoke up, wiping the smirk off his face and putting on the act of being ‘Mr. Hero’.

The three vampires turned to their boss and gave a confused look, “But you—“ one of the vampires started.

”Leave them alone!” Angelus said, “Go someone else…get the picture?” whispering the last part and giving the three vampires a look.

“Oh…right.” One of the vampires nodded, and the three of them hurried out the alley.

”They won’t bother you anymore.” Angelus said nicely as he turned back to the mother.

“Thank you. Thank you so much.” The mother cried as she took her daughter, that couldn’t be more than five years old, in her arms and hugged her close.

“No need for it…” Angelus smiled.

“Yes there is…you saved me and my children.” The woman said with tears in her eyes.

“Oh please…” Angelus waved his hand, acting like he was embarrassed for her graciousness, “I was just in the right place at the right time.”

Angelus’s eyes darted from the mother down to her young son that was hiding beside her side.

“Please there must be something…”

’Sweet innocence blood…’ Angelus thought as he stared at the boy.

“…I can do for you.”

Angelus looked back at the mother and smiled, “I said there was no need to pay me back…you wouldn’t want to help this old…bad…man…”

The mother gave a confused look at her hero and held her little girl tighter.

“But…you’re good?” the mother whimpered, her statement suddenly turned into a question.

“No I’m not.” Angelus smiled and took a step forward for the little boy but was stopped by a voice from the entrance of the alley.

”No he’s not.”

Angelus turned around and laughed at the site before him.

“Hello…Angelus.”

”Spike…”