Chapter 24: One Thing Leads To Another

Spike was surprised to find himself being knocking in the back of the head with a book, since he knew that the he and Buffy were the only one’s at the military base Area 51. He was looking through old maps of different cities when the incident happened.

”Bloody hell…” He mumbled to himself, dropping the maps that he was holding to rub the back of his head.

“You’re a coward.” Buffy’s voice spoke up in an icy tone.

Spike froze and turned around to find Buffy glaring daggers into his soul. He was taken by surprise at her sudden anger towards him.

“Excuse me?” Spike mumbled in shock, forgetting the bump on the back of his head and turning to face her.

”You heard me.” Buffy announced and walked up to him and shoved an old newspaper in his chest.

Spike grabbed the paper she pushed at him and started to read the headlines, making out only big blocked letters in the moonlight. After he took one glance he looked up at Buffy’s eyes. She looked like she was waiting for an explanation.

“What do you want me to say?” Spike whispered as he looked back down at the newspaper.

”That paper was dated years ago…”

”I know…”

“So…you knew…you knew the world was in a crisis and you just pretended that you didn’t. You didn’t even bother to stop Angelus.” Buffy yelled.

“You don’t understand luv—“ Spike started but was cut short.

“You’re absolutely right…I don’t understand. I thought you didn’t know about Angelus until recently…that this whole thing had happened only in the last few years…now; I find out that this has been going on for decades Spike!” Buffy’s anger was causing her to tears stream down her face. The frustration she had building up inside of her was causing her to show two different emotions at once, anger and sadness.

Spike shook his head; he seemed desperate for Buffy to understand his side of the story.

”I wanted to help…I actually tried to stop him on my own but….”

”But what?”

”It’s complicated, Buffy….words were exchanged between the two us…but in the end he threatened me with something that made me step away.” Spike explained.

“And that would be?”

”...Dawn.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~

Las Vegas…2008…

The mother and her children, that were almost about to be Angelus’s midnight snack, had sneaked away when the two vampires came face to face with one another. Both Spike and Angelus were both in a state of raging hate that they didn’t even notice the three humans running out the alley.

“Been a while…” Angelus spoke up first.

“Wish it had been longer.” Spike retracted.

“Haven’t seen you since…oh…what? The Slayer’s six feet under party a few years ago if I remember.” Angelus knew what buttons to push on certain people. It use to be Drusilla that would get Spike all fired. However, recently since he found out the love Spike held for the fallen Slayer, it was Buffy that got to him.

Spike growled at the disrespect that the soullessness of Angelus had remarked on. “Mention one more word about that again and you’ll get a stake in your eye.”

”What? Did I hit a sweet spot?” Angelus smirked.

“Let’s cut to the chase.” Spike got down to business.

”Why? Do you feel uncomfortable talking about Sacrifice Girl…?”

Spike, in one strut, leaned in and punched Angelus square in face. The force Spike put into the punch caused Angelus to be knocked back a little bit. But the only response Angelus gave him was a laugh.

”If I didn’t know any better, I would say that punch came straight from your aching soul…but then I forgot…you don’t got one….” Angelus continued, “Isn’t that pathetic? How lame is it to be a vampire with no soul that acts like he’s got one?”

”How ‘lame’ is it to be a vampire who goes for cheap shots and kills helpless victims and not put in a real fight?” Spike asked.

“A pretty damn smart one…who’s well feed.” Angelus smiled.

“I heard what you did to the L.A crew…” Spike changed the subject.

“How I picked my teeth with each one of their bones? Yeah…what about it?” Angelus smirked as he saw that Spike seemed uncomfortable with the disturbing words.

“Then I heard about this little incident.” Spike gestured around the city and the sounds of screams coming all around Las Vegas from innocent victims.

”Brilliant isn’t it?” Angelus patted Spike’s shoulder as if they were good pals and continued to walk by him and out the alley.

“You had your fifteen minutes of fame…” Spike started, “Think its time to stop going after the easy kills and give me a challenge.”

Angelus stopped in his tracks and turned around. “You want to fight me Willy?”

“And beat your skull in.” Spike added darkly.

”You know it doesn’t have to be like that…we both can walk away and feast together…take over this city…we can be the most powerful vamps in all the world…it will be like old times.” Angelus replied, trying to convince Spike.

”Don’t fancy being your bleedin partner…couldn’t stand you before when I was evil, why would I stand you now?” Spike asked, “Besides…I don’t play for that side anymore.”

Angelus rolled his eyes and crossed his arms, “You still believing in that ‘being good on your own free will’ junk?”

Spike didn’t answer.

”Your little dead Slayer didn’t believe in you...so why continue…just a waste of time since she’s all…what was it? Oh…right…dead.” Angelus pushed the grieving vampire’s button again.

Spike, by this point was done reasoning. He took one big leap and lunged himself into fighting his soulless nemesis.

In the middle of the fight Angelus got Spike in grip against the wall, “You know you can’t beat me; couldn’t before…can’t ever.”

Spike took a cheap shot and kicked Angelus in the shin. They both continued to fight, and at one point Spike grabbed his stake out of his duster pocket and leaned forward for the kill. However, Angelus was too quick. He knocked the stake out of Spike’s hand and grabbed it and pinned it into Spike’s chest. The pressure admitted to Spike’s chest made him freeze in the moment.

Angelus glanced down between the stake and Spike’s face. “One quick push and you can join your little dead sacrifice girl.”

Spike waited; Angelus never left any of his victims, demon or not, alive. He knew it was his end. Spike felt like he failed the world yet again.

”However…” Angelus leaned back moving the stake away form Spike’s body. “I’m not going to do it.”

Spike’s tense body relaxed just a little bit, he still waited for the loophole in this matter.

“I’m giving you a get out jail free card…you leave now and get out of MY city and I won’t stake you.” Angelus offered.

”I’m not going to let you murder countless people.” Spike said.

”Yes you are…you’re going to go far, far, far away…” Angelus said as he started twirling the stake in his hand.

”Why would I agree to this?” Spike asked.

Angelus walked up to Spike and got very close to his face. He leaned forward and whispered in his ears, “Because if you ever come back I’ll come after the Slayer’s friends….and her sister…”

Angelus leaned back, watching Spike clench his jaw tightly, “And if you fight me now…I’ll kill you and I’ll go after them anyway…just like I did to Cordelia, Gunn, Fred, and Wes. They’ll have no protection…and never see it coming…one by one I’ll torture them for hours until they beg for death.”

The words pouring out of Angelus’s mouth was pure torture enough for Spike. When he didn’t reply to Angelus’s little bargain, the soulless vampire took that as a sign of agreement. Angelus smiled and walked out the alley whistling happily and loudly.

”Oh and by the way…” Angelus stopped whistling and looked behind his shoulder at the unmoving Spike. “It was nice seeing you again.”

*~*~*~*~*~

Present Time….

”…if I had the choice again…I’d still walk away.” Spike said, finishing his tale of his encounter with Angelus all those years ago.

After the tale you could see that Buffy was no longer angry, she seemed sort of understanding. She realized that if she had to make a decision like he did she would probably do the same thing.

”What a world we live in…” Buffy muttered and shook her head.

”The sacrifices we make never seem good later huh?” Spike asked.

Buffy glanced up at him, staring into his eyes for a moment and saw decency in the souled vampire. She never realized that he and she were one of the same. Sure, they took different paths in life, but however they ended up years later being all each others got.

“I’m sorry.” Buffy whispered, “I’m sorry I doubted and judged you.”

”Is this an apology from the Slayer? It’s got to be the first for me.” Spike teased, trying to lighten up the mood.

Buffy cracked a smile.

”And that’s got to be the first smile I’ve seen in a while too…don’t get those much either.” Spike commented as he smiled lovingly at her.

The smile still stuck on the Slayers face as they stared at one another. However it was short lived; pretty soon Buffy was back to business.

“Anyway…you find anything useful?” Buffy asked.

Spike let out a deep breath, “Why do you do that?”

Buffy looked confused, “Do what?”

”I give you a compliment and you shun away.” Spike pointed out.

”I didn’t shun…we have to get down to business and—“

”A minute ago you didn’t care if the whole world was on fire…” Spike started, “A minute ago you weren’t a Slayer and I wasn’t a vampire…we were just us…”

”Yeah…now we have to face reality and get down to work…” Buffy reasoned and started picking up the maps that Spike dropped earlier to the floor.

Spike stepped up and grabbed Buffy’s arms and held them so she wouldn’t break free.

”What are you doing?” Buffy asked.

“You know, there is no one here…no one here to judge you or tell you what is right and wrong…this time you have to make those decisions for yourself and use your own judgment, Buffy.”

”I don’t understand what---“

Spike cut her short as he leaned in and kissed her. At first Buffy didn’t respond, she was nearly in shock from the touch of his lips to hers. But after a few moments she relaxed and let the maps slip out of her hands and drop to the floor. Buffy grabbed out and put her arms around Spike as he continued to kiss her.

When a breath was needed Spike leaned back and rested his forehead against hers. He looked into her eyes and saw she had her eyes closed and was breathing a bit heavily. Spike brought his hand up and caressed her cheek ever so slightly, making her eyes open and meet his.

“I don’t want to play…” Spike whispered, “I love you and I don’t want to the one because I’m just conveniently here…”

”Spike…” she softly started and waited a moment before saying, “Kiss me.”

Spike knew he shouldn’t kiss her before talking everything out but he knew that couldn’t resist the way she said the words ‘kiss me’ to him. In an instant they both were passionately kissing again.