Chapter 25: A Change of Fate


They both were leaning up against the wall of the dark office at the military base. Their feet were spread out, overlapping with one another. Spike’s arm was gently secured around Buffy’s shoulder, causing her to lean into his side. Buffy’s small hand was placed on his chest while her other arm went behind his back.

“Luv…” Spike whispered, he wasn’t quit sure if she was awake or not. His question was answered when she moved her head up to look at him.

”Yeah?” her voice was tired and quiet, almost shy like.

“Is it alright if I ask a penny for your thoughts?” he started, “I mean…the more I know what’s going on cause…I mean…” he sort of jumbled with his words at first but finally got his point out, “What happened?”

”I’m not sure…we kissed…” Buffy stated the obvious while looking across the room, avoiding his eyes.

”Ya and…” Spike trailed on, wanting her to fill in the blanks a bit more.

”And now we’re not…and we are letting our minds run wild.” Buffy added.

”Very true.” Spike sighed and reached out for Buffy’s chin and turned it up so she was looking back at him. “But maybe we could put our fears to rest if we just talk about it…” he paused for a moment, “Talk to me.”

”Well…to put YOUR mind to rest…I’m not didn’t kiss you because your conveniently here.”

”Good to know.” Spike sighed.

”I don’t know Spike…you kissing me sent me on a tailspin of confusion.” She admitted.

“You kissing me back sort of had the same effect on me too love.” He commented and tightened his hold on her just a bit.

”I kind of figured…and this is where I want to tell you I love you deeply and kiss you and so forth…” Buffy said sadly.

He loosened his hold a bit on her, he got the message plain and clear…he didn’t need her to say it to him…he said it for himself, “But you don’t love me.”

Letting his arms fall away from her he felt a bit cold. Buffy instantly sat up and saw his heartbroken face. She quickly reached out and grabbed both sides of his face and turned his face to direction all his attention on her. It wasn’t hard for him to be fixed on her.

“Hey…” she said with a caring and soft voice, “...Listen to me…you wanted me not to play games…and I don’t want to either, I won’t. What I feel for you is developing, developing rapidly. Just because I don’t love you totally with every piece of my heart don’t mean you don’t already have pieces of me.” Buffy explained and gently stroke his cheek, “I need time…I know that 80 years has be the understatement of the year of waiting but… yesterday to me was a completely different world.”

”I know love.” Spike nodded but looked a little be still dejected.

”Give me time Spike…I know that isn’t something we are given a lot of…well especially me since well I’m the Slayer but—“

”It’s going to be different this time Buffy…I won’t let you die that way again.” Spike interrupted her to tell her what he thought on that matter of her death.

”Spike…” she was about to say he couldn’t possibly know what her future held but he jumped in again.

”You will…”

Buffy gave him a small smile and stroke his cheek again.

”Things like that…what you just said, it makes me want to love you even more but at the moment—“

”I understand.” Spike cut her off and gave her a short kiss on the lips and told her once more, “I understand.”

”I don’t know what I would have done if I came back and you weren’t here.” Buffy said as a single tear started to roll down her cheek.

”You’d be just fine.” Spike confidently said.

”I don’t know…I don’t think so.” Buffy shook her head and sat down and rested back into his arms like she was previously doing.

“Well, lets come to a compromise…why don’t we just say ‘thank god it never happened’” Spike said and let out a long sigh as he stroke her hair and kissed to top of her head.

”I agree with that.” Buffy said and closed her eyes as he sat with her.



*~*~*~*~*~*~*~




A few hours later, Spike and Buffy were gathering supplies all the supplies they need to head to Las Vegas to defeat Angelus. As Spike gathered the maps up she found Buffy looking and staring outside. He noticed she seemed a little bit more than preoccupied with what was going the window.

”Something wrong?” Spike asked as he touched Buffy’s shoulder and rested it there.

When she didn’t speak or turn away, Spike asked again, “Luv?”

”How long has it been dark outside?” Buffy asked out of the blue.

Spike glanced up at the sky and noticed the pitch black night sky.

”It’s got to be a couple of hours. Right? Sun should be rising soon.” Spike took another glance around the dead military base.

”But it’s not. It feels longer than a couple of hours…it feels like it should be way past sunrise…” Buffy explained.

“Maybe we lost track of the time or…” Spike reasoned.

”No…” she said sternly and glanced at Spike, “Something is off…I can feel it…something happened.”

Spike let out a breath as and mumbled, “Angelus.”



*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



An hour later Spike and Buffy were speeding down in the middle of Nevada towards Las Vegas. Both of them were silent in the car, keeping an eye on the sky for any change.

”You think he did something to the sun?” Buffy broke the silence and turned to look at Spike clutching the steering wheel as he watched his speed hit 90.

“Never know with him…since he’s become all powerful and mighty he may have someone working on the sidelines for him.” Spike predicted.

“You think it was spell?” Buffy muttered.

Spike took a deep breath, “No question about it…magic is the only way this can happen. That…or universe is about to implode.”

Buffy snapped her head to stare at him. When he met her eyes he shrugged, “Never know.”

”Thanks for being so comforting.” Buffy sarcastically said as he glanced out the window again.

After a moment Buffy felt something slip into her left hand. When she looked down she saw Spike’s hand holding onto hers. When she looked up at his face she noticed he didn’t send her a glance. Buffy only gave a little smile to herself and rearranged her fingers so they were firmly clasped together.

“Check it out.” Spike spoke up and nodded to something in the distance on the highway.

Buffy squinted her eyes, trying to make the figure that was moving along the side of the road.

“Looks like a hitchhiker.” Buffy guessed.

”Or something else.” Spike muttered.

“Pull over.” Buffy ordered.

”What? No! Are you crazy? We don’t have time for—“

”Spike…just do it.” Buffy said.

Spike shook his head and slowed the car down to a stop a few hundred feet away from the figure.

Buffy jumped out of the car and saw it was a man dressed in casual clothes carrying a bag.

”Who are you?” Buffy asked.

“Who are you?” the man asked.

”We asked first.” As Spike got out the car too and raised a crossbow at the man.

“Don’t shoot. I’m not a vampire.” The man said as he held his hands up and dropped his bag down,

Buffy and Spike shared a look with one another.

”You were coming from the direction of Las Vegas…seems there is nothing BUT vampires there…so tell us another one.” Spike said as he gripped the crossbow firmly and continued to point it at the man’s chest.

”I’m not a vampire…I’m a wizard…name’s Eli.” The wizard said.

Buffy and Spike looked back at one another and then Spike lowered the crossbow down at him.





TBC...