Chapter 29: I’ll See You on the Other Side



Buffy and Angelus’s swords clashed as the two seemed to dance around the room.

“And the thing about the dance is, you never gets to stop” Spike’s voice echoed in the back of Buffy’s mind.

‘Damn you Spike’ Buffy thought to herself as she recalled her love’s words back in the alleyway of the Bronze on that one night so long ago. The haunting of Spike’s words made her think that he was right in a way. Buffy thought about the last time she fought Angelus and then she realized things didn’t change… here she was eighty years later do it again. ‘Will this continue forever?’ she thought to herself.

As Angelus took another swing and Buffy ducked her head and sweeped her feet out to make him lose his footing, she made a decision….its either kill him or die trying. She wouldn’t settle for both of them walking away from this…this was it…this was the finale.

When Angelus jumped to his feet he took Buffy off guard and punched her in the face with his free hand.

“Come on hero…” Angelus taunted and socked her in the stomach, “This all you have in your dead little body?”

As Buffy recovered from her blow she noticed how cocky he was holding his sword. So she took a swing at his arm, knocking the weapon out of his grasp.

Angelus looked down and winced in pain when he saw she had cut him. When he looked back up at Buffy with fire in his eyes he saw the Slayer holding the point of the sword right at his neck.

‘This dance is over’ Buffy thought to herself, ‘It’s finally over.’ “Looks like I win.” Buffy said with a twinkle in her eye

Angelus just stared at her.

“What? No quick come back? No last words?” Buffy asked when all Angelus’s did was stare at her.

“You know Buff…I got nothing left more to say…except one thing…” Angelus ducked his head down and grabbed a small blade hidden up his sock and turned it on Buffy’s neck when he grabbed her from behind. The Slayer gasped in surprise as she felt the steel blade point into her jugular. “…you never pause when you have your enemy where you want them…at their mercy….its just a stupid move don’t you think?” Angelus continued.

Buffy unclenched her sword from her hand and let it fall from her fingers. She heard it clatter as it hit the ground.

Angelus loosened the knife at her neck and spun Buffy around in his arms to make her look up at him. “You know I should just do you the old fashion way…” Angelus’s said while darting his eyes to Buffy’s neck, “I tasted you...not too long ago….” He moved his eyes back to look at her to see her reaction.

‘The dream…’ Buffy instantly thought.

“As I recall your blood was sweet as candy…” Angelus said as he went back to being memorized by the skin on her neck, “…and I do love candy…” he started to lean in but Buffy took him off guard when she head butted him away, making him let her go and end up landing a few feet away from her on the ground.

“What every happened to ‘never pausing when you have the enemy right where you want them’? The way I see it Angelus…you talk too much” Buffy said as she watched Angelus rub his head.

Angelus’s let out a chilling laugh, “Oh Buffy, Buffy, Buffy…you now starting to take my advice?”

Buffy ignored him and went to reach for her sword on the ground but Angelus moved forward stepped on the sword, not letting her retrieve it.

When she looked up at him he answered, “Forget the weapons…”

*********************

“I won’t do it Spike.” Eli shook his head as they walked through the sewer tunnels and towards the entrance they first started at.

“Fine then. Don’t come.” Spike grunted with fire in his eyes.

“I don’t think you should go either…”

“Angelus has Buffy…if the only way to get to her is go through the city…then so be it.” Spike said as he picked up his pace a little bit as he saw the ladder in a distance.

Eli put his arm on Spike’s to stop him, “Look---“

“You want to stay? Fine! It’s probably best if you stay anyway and finish this work up down here. But you can’t change my mine…Buffy is in trouble and that’s where I go.” Spike explained and continued over to the ladder.

“I’ll give you 42 hours.” Eli said quickly before Spike could go disappear above ground.

Spike turned around and stared at the wizard.

“I’m going to set the timer…so you better not take your good old time getting revenge on Angelus…just get Buffy and get out…quick.” Eli said.

“42 hours?”

“1 am…Friday.”

Spike blinked a few times, gathering his thoughts. “If I’m not back…and Buffy gets out…do it…no questions asked.”

“And if neither of you are back?”

Spike didn’t answer.

“48 hours…” Eli changed his mind, “Just before sunrise…if my magic works and I lift the spell that Rufus has plagued over the earth…it will be just before sunrise.”

Spike turned and looked at the wizard and nodded and started back up the ladder.

“Wait!” Eli stopped Spike again and pulled out a gun from his inside his blazer pocket.

“Where did you get that?” Spike stared at the gun in shock, “We checked you for weapons and—“

“I’m a wizard Spike...” Eli rolled his eyes, “This stuff is like kids trick’s to me.”

Spike grabbed the gun and examined it and then finally tucked it in his coat pocket, “Thanks…and well…thanks for not betraying us…Buffy and I are grateful…really.”

Eli just nodded and looked down to the ground. He reached into his pocket and started to shuffle around looking for something else.

“And there is one more thing….” Eli said as started to pull the object out.

*********

Angelus kicked Buffy in the stomach, sending her flying into the wall and slumping to the floor. She groaned as she clenched her few broken ribs. ‘Oh god, help me’ she thought to herself, the pain was so unbearable that she felt tears welding up in her eyes.

After an hour of the both of them battling back and forth it was unfortunately Buffy who looked ready to throw in her towel. At first she had this confidence that she was going to swoop in and beat Angelus in just a few quick punches and take charge. But in reality it was Angelus who has dominated the fight for the better part of the evening.

“Do you want to stay down?” Angelus crunched down to talk with Buffy, who still was not able to get back up on her feet.

Buffy didn’t answer; she just kept holding her hurt side with her tired hands.

Angelus’s smile had a little blood coming from the corner of his lips. He swept his tongue out and tasted the blood with satisfaction.

“Well Buff…guess this leaves the big finale huh?” Angelus leaned into her face.

Buffy cringed and closed her eyes, waiting for the fangs to sink into her neck side. However all she felt was Angelus’s arms hoisting her up off the ground. Buffy was in shock when she opened her eyes and saw him looking down at her as he held her. For a microsecond she thought he was helping her, being the hero of the day and turning into Angel.

He smiled at her, giving his Oscar nominated impression of being the hero for a moment. “I’ve been waiting a long time for you to get here…” he said staring down at her, “And I made you a present.”

‘Huh?’ Buffy thought to herself as Angelus walked a short distance to the middle of the room. With her head positioned in Angelus’s arms she couldn’t really see anything besides his face and the ceiling.

“Care to see?” Angelus asked and then dropped Buffy down out of his arms with bang and into the wooden box in the room that she forgotten about until now. “Its great craft work don’t you think?”

Angelus’s hands and eyes skimmed the rim of the box in admiration. Then he looked down at Buffy giving him a bewildering look.

“Oh baby…I’m going to enjoy this.” He said as he leaned down and gave her a cold hard kiss on the lips.

Angelus walked away out of frame from Buffy for a moment and came back holding a thick wooden lid. He gave one last smile and slammed it down on top of the box and locked all the sides with deadbolts. In a mere five seconds it went from being an ordinary wooden box to now Buffy’s death trap.

From the inside of the now “coffin” Buffy’s eyes widen at the darkness she was in and tried to thrust the top lid off but found no luck. Her breathing picked up as she realized the situation she was now in, and panic overcame her.

‘I’m back to where I started from…alone…trapped…and in a coffin...’ she thought to herself. ‘Well at least it’s not underground…’ and at the minute she thought that she felt the box shift a bit.

As soon as Angelus’s slammed the outside world away from Buffy by setting the finally deadbolt on the box, he pulled out a small remote control from his pocket and pressed a few buttons and watched the box start to be lowered into the floor.

Buffy screamed and pounded harder on the wooden lid as she felt the box start to be lowered somewhere.

‘Oh god, oh god, oh god.’ was the only thought that kept repeating in Buffy’s head as she continued to scream for help. “PLEASE!! NO!!! HELP ME!!!STOOPPPPP!!! LET ME OUT!!!”

Angelus’s listened to her screams from the outside with a smile of delight. The sound of a woman screaming in terror had always been like music to his ears. But now, hearing the Slayer beg for her life? To Angelus it was like an opera being sung just for him.

Angelus then mumbled a few magical words and then a door appeared on the side of the wall out of thin air. He started to whistle a happy tune over the sound of Buffy’s constant screaming as he started to exit the room.

******

It had been four minutes. Inside her coffin Buffy was lying on her side staring into pure darkness. After her constant screaming and thrashing in panic for a few moments a sudden calmness came over her and she just stopped moving all together.

“You win…” Buffy whispered inside the box, feeling almost like Angelus could hear what she was saying.

“I’m sorry Spike…” she breathed out, “I’m just…so tired…”

And with that she closed her eyes and let the Powers That Be take care of her fate.