Chapter 30: I Fight the Good Fight


‘I can’t remember heaven being like this…so bright.’ Buffy thought to herself when she came forth into a blinding light. ‘No…heaven wasn’t like this…it was more like just before dawn...peaceful...calm…just like coming home.”

“Buffy…” the voice called her out from a distance.

“Buffy…” it called again but a bit more loudly.

The brightest of the blinding light faded and the Slayer found herself standing barefoot in an ocean of sand. By looking around quickly Buffy realized she recognized the desert she was in. It was a familiar place that she could memorize inside and out—a place she could find blindfolded.

“Buffy…” the voice called out from behind her.

The Slayer turned around to see Dawn standing just a few feet from her dressed in a sundress that danced in the wind when a fresh breeze of air passed by.

“Hello Buffy…” Dawn smiled.

“Dawn…” Buffy glanced up and down at the figure that appeared to be her sister. “You can’t be her…” She whispered with sadness.

”No…I’m not her, you are correct about that.” She said and walked closer to Buffy slowly. “I can be anyone you so desperately desire…” the mystical figure of Dawn said. “And at the moment you were losing consciousness to your surroundings I’m guessing you wanted to see your sister.”

Buffy paused and thought about Dawn, “I do…I missed you—I miss her.” Buffy corrected herself quickly, she didn’t want this illusion to distract her and make her a fool.

The figure of Dawn nodded and then morphed into Mrs. Summers wearing her motherly warming smile.

“Mum…” Buffy gasped, “How did you—“

”It’s your mind dear…” Mrs. Summers reassured Buffy.

”I-I didn’t think my mind could do something like this…” Buffy shook her head in astonishment.

“Well I guess you can say this isn’t your normal dream…even for a dying brain that sees what it wants to see this is not even close…but it will do.”

”Dying…” ‘Dying brain? I’m dead?’ Buffy thought out the rest of her sentence.

“You aren’t died yet sweetie.” Joyce read Buffy’s mind, “The Powers wouldn’t like that would they?”

”Powers?” Buffy scrunched up her face in confusion. ‘What Powers?’

“Powers that Will...” Joyce started to explain, “Powers that Be, Powers of Fate…whatever term you prefer is fine…it’s all the same thing. Right?”

”Mum…I mean--wait, what do I call you?” Buffy asked.

“I have no real name…I’m just a guide…a mystical spirit that is sent her to help you.” Joyce smiled.

”Help me?” Buffy backed away and raised her voice in defense. She started to face away from the figure that resembled her mother. Buffy couldn’t fight having herself stand there being mad at a figure that appeared and talked just like the woman that was taken too soon from her. She then thought very hard about having someone else appear, someone that she could easily feel comfortable complaining to.

“Oh come on pet…don’t shield your gorgeous self away from someone that wants to help you.”

Buffy turned around and saw Spike dressed in his trademark black attire accompanied with a cocky attitude. ‘Much better…’ she thought.

”Some help…” Buffy scoffed, “You brought me back to a world that had everyone I loved and cared about taken away from me!”

”Everyone?” He cocked an eyebrow

‘Okay maybe it was a bad idea to have Spike as this mystical image person.’ She thought to herself.

”Well…okay, Spike’s here but still…even with him look how I turned out. Angelus won. I’m dead…again…and now realizing this, soon Spike will find out what happened to me and think its all his fault. Doesn’t really rank high on my scale as the proper way to die.”

The mystical figure of Spike chuckled, sounding too much like the real vampire that it was almost scary.

“Pet, you’re not dead yet…” he told her, “And do you really believe the Powers want you to lose to Angelus’s?”

Buffy shrugged, “The Powers do like making me there puppet master.”

”No they don’t…Things are done for a reason. There was reason behind everything you do each day. There was a reason you were chosen to die and save Dawn that night, a reason you were brought back eighty years later, a reason that out of everyone in your past Spike was there beside you.” He told her.

“And what about now?” Buffy asked after letting everything he tell her sink in. “Was there a reason why I’m dying again?”

”Well…on that account you can say even we were taken by surprise. It wasn’t supposed to happen. You see there are the Powers of Darkness just like there are the Powers of Good, luv.

”And it seems that this little twist of Angelus gaining the upper hand was thrown at us by our enemies, the Powers of Darkness…”

”So I guess you guys have bad days too huh?” Buffy joked with a small frown.

”Worlds not perfect pet…you were able to see that the day you were born. And even more so when you first fought you very first vampire.” The mystical figure walked closer to her, practically leaning in on her personal space.

Buffy raised an eyebrow at how close this mystical figure was standing to her. “Even as a spirit guide that looks like Spike you have some sort of attraction towards me?” Buffy nervously said and stepped back.

”Don’t blame me…it’s your mind luv…you must really think this guy is something special.”

Buffy’s face blushed a little and she gave herself a small smile when she thought of Spike.

”So…” she shook her thoughts of the loving thoughts she was having of the bleached vampire to the task at hand, “What now?”

”What do you mean?” Spike tilted his head with a curious expression.

“About me…if I’m not dead does that mean you’re sending me back? Or what?” Buffy shrugged.

”So now you care about your fate? If I recall, not a few seconds before you lost consciousness you were giving up…lying in a wooden box…surrendering yourself to death.”

Buffy looked down at her feet that stood in the golden sand. Even though she was talking with a mystical figure that really had no feelings or true form it felt very much like Spike telling her he was disappointed that she gave herself up so easily.

”What was I suppose to do?” Buffy muttered; the sound of pure exhaustion was distinct in the tone of her voice.

“Keep fighting…”

Buffy’s head snapped up when she didn’t hear Spike’s voice anymore…it was now Giles.

”Giles…” she was amazed that she didn’t even realize her mind wanted her Watcher to be present at the moment. I guess Buffy figured that Giles could yell at her just as well as Spike could.

But it surprised her more that this form of Giles wasn’t angry, “Buffy you know what you have to do…people are counting on you…you are the best of best fighters that I’ve ever seen…having the world on your shoulders all the time would be considered a burden to most… but to you…hell, its like breathing.”

Buffy blinked, “Is this Giles talking or the Powers…?”

The figure that stood as the British Watcher just stared at her, not uttering a word for a few second until…

”I believe in you.” The voice that came out of the mouth of the mystical figure was strong and different. When it spoke those words to her it didn’t sound just like one person talking. Buffy recognized a number of voices all collecting as one to bring out the emotions behind the words. In a single sentence Buffy could hear all the voices separate from each other and listen to each owner.

She heard Dawn’s voice…Giles’s, her mother’s, her friends…and Spike’s.

It was the encouragement that she didn’t realize she wanted and needed. And it was so powerful that the words sent her spiraling back to earth with a bang.


*~*~*~*~*~

A Few Miles from Las Vegas...


The gas petal was pressed all the way onto the floor of the car, climbing to reach its maximum speed limit. Spike wished he had more power put into the car but he knew he had minimum resources.

“Come on you damn thing.” He muttered under his breath as he watched his speed hit over one hundred.

In a distance he started to see the sight of civilization, if you could call a city run by vampires ‘civilization’. Spike knew that he was probably spotted by now since there was only one road coming from his direction.

He glanced up at where the sun would be and saw the darkness. Spike let out a sigh as he was only a few hundred yards from the first building of Las Vegas. As he drove past the building he kept his eyes open for any sign of attackers.

’Bang!’ the sound of gunfire happen almost immediately as Spike pasted the second building. Spike’s car was hit from the side but he still continued to drive. However being in the city he had to slow down just a bit due to the structure of the roads, which was a huge disadvantage. He was going at about 50 mph when he heard another loud ‘Bang!’ He was hit from the side again.

Outside, vampires loaded with guns on the rooftops were firing at the moving target with perfection. Someone finally aimed accurate enough to get Spike’s front tire blown causing him to swerve and crash into a building.

About twenty vampires sprung out of the darkness of the alleys and surrounded the still car immediately with stakes and guns in hand.

Spike came out of his car in peace, with his hands in the air.

”I’ve come to see Angelus.” He yelled out before they could start to fight him.

“Oh ya? Why would we bring you to him?” a vamp challenged.

“Cause I’m Spike…and I believe he’ll be expecting me.”

All of Angelus’s minions glanced at each other when they recognized the name.

*~*~*~*~*~