Chapter 32: Power Comes From Within



Angelus had his feet propped up on his desk and a smile plastered on his face as he looked across the room at Spike standing before. The souled vampire’s jaw was clenched and his fists were tightened as they hung by his side.

“How you’ve been Spike old boy? Your soul keeping you satisfied?” Angelus asked as he placed his hands behind his head, making himself very comfortable.

Spike didn’t say a word; he just kept staring at his grandsire teasing and mocking him.

“Aren’t you going to even ask about little Buff? You must be worried about her.” Angelus switched the topic to something he knew would interest Spike more.

“Where is she?” Spike asked, taking the bait that Angelus brought up.

Angelus laughed at his very demanding grandchilde. He uncrossed his legs off his desk and leaded forward on his desk. “You care deeply about her don’t you?”

“Answer me.” Spike growled.

“She worth quit a lot to you huh? Pretty much your whole existence is now focused around her…isn’t it?” Angelus kept mocking.

Spike didn’t answer and let silence overtake the two of them in the office.

Angelus nodded, “Would be pretty hard to live with yourself knowing if she died again…you failing her and living day after---“

Spike couldn’t take another word that came out Angelus mouth anymore. And in two struts he was in front of the desk and grabbing his nemesis by the collar of his jacket and pulling him inches from his face.

“Where is she?!” Spike growled while flashing his yellow demon eyes briefly.

Angelus just smiled at Spike’s threat and merely nodded, “I’ll do better than tell…I’ll show you.”

Spike shoved Angelus back out of his grasp, causing him to roll back in his chair a few feet. Angelus grabbed a remote control in his desk and pressed a few buttons and watched a big television screen being lowered from the wall. Spike raised an eyebrow in confusion. ‘What the hell is he doing?’ he thought to himself.

The black television screen flashed to a picture of Buffy struggling inside the box that she was in earlier.

Once Spike saw Buffy’s face he froze in place and started to stare mindlessly at his girl yelling and screaming for help while continuing to pound away in the box.

“I think this reality show would be a big hit if it was broadcasted on cable…but the only thing wrong is there is only one episode to offer.” Angelus smiled and glanced over at Spike across the room. His smile widened when he saw Spike’s panicked and stunned look on his face.

Angelus raised the remote and waited just till a certain moment before turning off the TV.

“I’m sorry Spike…” Buffy muttered on the screen. Spike swallowed and started to hyperventilate a little as he registered what she was saying. “I just…so tired…”

Buffy’s face vanished from the screen as soon as Angelus pressed a button on the remote. The disappearance of her face in a flash triggered something in Spike and he turned to his nemesis in vamp face and growled.

Angelus laughed, “Just the reaction I was looking for.”

--------------------------------------


About a few hundred feet below where Spike and Angelus were already at each others throats, Buffy was setting her plan of escape to action.

“I don’t want to do this…” Lewis muttered to himself as he held on to the cage bars and looked up and down the dark hallway.

“Don’t be a baby.” A lady whispered harshly.

The sound of heavy boots started to echo down the hallway.

“He’s coming…” Lewis whispered.

“Shhh…” the lady shushed everyone and crouched down beside a body covered in the only blanket in the cell.

“We got a dead one in here!” Lewis yelled down to the sound of the heavy boots that were coming closer.

The boots belonged to a vampire guard that made his rounds every other day just like Lewis told Buffy.

Once Lewis yelled out that there was someone dead in the cell the sound of the boots became quicker—practically skipping with excitement that there was free blood somewhere.

When the vampire reached Lewis’s cell he glanced onto the floor at a blanket wrapped around a body.

“Everyone back!” the vampire ordered everyone in the cell.

All the humans rushed to the back wall and away from the bars so they couldn’t escape.

“Back I say!” the vampire ordered and grabbed a key and started to unlock the cell and stepped in. “Any of you make a move I’ll bash the little girl’s scull in.” he snarled and threatened Noelle’s life.

Noelle reacted to the mean vampire’s words by burying her face in a woman’s dirty dress. The lady crouched down to the child’s level and wrapped a protective arm around her. Lewis also stepped in front of the little girl and blocked the two from harms way.

The vampire sniffed the air for any sides of blood and didn’t register anything.

“No bleeding is coming from the body.” The vampire said and kicked a lonely foot that was coming out from the blanket.

“She was sick.” Lewis informed. “She died this morning.”

“Shut up.” The vampire growled harshly, “I don’t care for her life story.”

Lewis bit his tongue and didn’t dare utter another word to upset the guard any further.

The vampire crunched down on the floor and started to unravel the blanket that reserved the body inside. And once he unwrapped the part that hide her head the guard was left staring at Buffy….playing dead on the ground.

“She’s young…” the vampire licked his lips.

Lewis’s heart started to race as he watched Buffy continue to play dead. ‘What is she waiting for…?’ the thought raced through mind. And before he could let his heart burst from racing so fast through his chest, he saw Buffy’s eyes flash open and smile up at the vampire.

“Young and alive.” Buffy announced and grabbed the vampire around the throat and threw him up against the bars.

The Slayer jumped to her feet and stared down at the fallen and very surprised vampire.

“You’re her…” the vampire muttered while looking up at Buffy.

“Slayer? The Chosen One? Why yes I am.” She smiled and jumped on top of him and started to punch away at his face.

And once she thought she had enough and the demon was lying on the floor unconscious she took the side of its cheeks in both hands and twisted its neck in one quick motion, sending the guard into a big pile of ash.

Buffy got up to her feet and turned around to the amazed looks on everyone’s face inside the cell. The Slayer shrugged and muttered, “Told you I had a plan.”

“What are you?” Lewis questioned.

“I go by a number of things...” she smiled, “But that’s not important right now…come on!” she yelled and went out the opened cell door.

She was hallway down the hall when Buffy noticed that no one was following her. She turned around to see Lewis and the rest of the group slowly stepping out of the cell…tasting there first moment of freedom. ‘Wow…I almost forgot how long these people were here…’ Buffy thought and looked around at all the other cages. ‘I got to get them out before this place blows up….’

She raced back down the hallway toward Lewis and the rest of the group. “We need to get everyone out…and quick.” She announced.

“I don’t think being quick is an option for us…” Lewis said; he still was a little bit in shock as he looked around and grasped his moment of freedom in over a year.

“Besides the keys the vampire had blew up along with his body.” The lady said.

“We have to get out of here…this whole place is going to blow up…” Buffy said.

“Blow up?” the lady asked as she held Noelle and the other boy, Christopher’s, hand.

“It’s the plan…well, the other plan…I’m not sure when it’s going to happen but it will. The whole casino and everything around it around going to be blow up with dynamite that’s placed under the ground.” Buffy explained quickly.

“How long do you think we have?” Lewis asked.

Buffy shook her head, “I don’t know…but we don’t have time to free thousands of cells…we got to do this quickly.”

“There is no other way than using a key.” The lady said.

Buffy bit her lip and tried to think up an idea fast…’Come on Buffy…think…think…’

“I love magic…its quick…its easy…its really just mind power and shifting energy from one part of something to another.” Willow told Buffy one time when they were inside the Magic Box just talking randomly about things.

“Anyone can use it…” the witch said.


Buffy smiled at the recollection of what her best friend told her and then turned back to the group of humans. However, she frowned instantly when she realized that this may take some time to convince a bunch of regular people about ‘real magic’.


---------------------------------------------------


Spike’s knuckles ached in pain and were bruised and bloody by the feverish hits he delivered to Angelus. He brushed the blood on his black pants as he got up off the ground away from the bruised and battered Angelus leaning against the wall.

“Did that help ease your grief…?” Angelus muttered weakly from the ground.

Spike was leaning on his shaky hands against Angelus’s office desk and whispered, “No…”

‘He still believes she’s dead…’ Angelus thought to himself and smiled a little bit. Even the single effort of smiling with his battered face hurt.

“So what’s next?” Angelus asked as he grabbed a hold of the wall and tried to raise himself to his feet.

Spike whipped around with a gun pointing to Angelus’s.

“More pain and torture is next…” Spike muttered with tears streaming down his face from thinking about Buffy being out of his life again. One thought of never seeing her smiling face again caused Spike to fire a bullet into Angelus’ right arm.

The unsouled vampire howled in pain and grabbed a hold of his hurt arm that now had a bullet lodged in it.

“Have you forgotten…?” Angelus grimaced, “Bullets don’t kill us…” he winced again.

Spike fired another shot at Angelus’s leg and made the vampire slump down onto the ground again.

“I know what kills us, you pathetic jackass. Regular bullets don’t do harm…but poisonous ones do.” Spike growled and watched Angelus now nurse his hurt leg.

“Going to make my death slow huh?” Angelus managed to breathe out through the pain.

“I’m doing this for her…” Spike said and fired another uncared for bullet into Angelus’s body.

“For a dead girl.”

*BANG*

As soon as the words left Angelus’s mouth another bullet entered his chest to where his heart was supposed to beat.

“The only dead thing here is you…”

“And you aren’t?” Angelus asked, he didn’t know why he didn’t keep savor his strength and keep pestering the vampire with the gun. I guess he figured that he would make the best of his time before his ending.

“I guess you and I see a difference in the meaning to what ‘dead’ is defined as…” Spike explained and sat the gun down on the desk and started to walk away.

“Wait…” Angelus yelled out from the floor when he saw Spike starting to leave his office.

Spike stopped but didn’t turn back.

“What?” he growled.

“Aren’t you going to finish the job?” Angelus laughed, “Make sure I don’t come back and destroy the rest of your little world.”

Spike started walking again, “You’re nothing to me anymore Angelus…and besides, you already destroyed my world…there is nothing left for you to take.”

“FINE!! Go ahead! Do what you like!!! Destroy my city!!!” Angelus yelled after Spike and then muttered to himself, “I’ll see him in hell…”


TBC....almost done...almost...