Chapter 33: Stand Your Ground



The wizard dusted his dirty hands onto his jacket as he stood up from the ground. Eli surveyed the work around him that he had spent the last five hours dedicating his energy to. As he wiped the sweat from his forehead he looked at all the wires and dynamite connected up and down the tunnel. With a nod, satisfied of his accomplishment, Eli turned around with his lit torch and headed back to the entrance of the tunnel.

The sound of silence and isolation that was captured in the dark tunnel gave the young wizard a little bit of the hibby gibbies. Eli’s heart started to race a little bit and his mind opened to the side where imagination could get carried away with itself.

‘Is there someone behind me? What’s that sound? Did that shadow just move?’ the thoughts from the wizard started popping up one by one.

It was only when Eli found himself back to his starting position, where the duffle bag that was full of weapons were left, did the wizard start to feel a little bit more relaxed.

Eli crunched down and started to root through the bag a little bit, moving weapons and other things aside. He pulled out the magically orb that Spike and Buffy were fighting over with earlier out and started to examine it a little bit.

‘I wonder…’ Eli thought to himself as he came up with an idea.


-----------------------------------------------------------

“Now you remember what I told you?” Buffy asked her group of trusted allies.

“I don’t think we can do this.” Lewis shook his head and forgot all about his lesson of how magic worked from Buffy.

“Not with that attitude you won’t.” Buffy frowned and shook her head. “Magic comes within…the more you believe it the more you can make it happen.”

“Then how come when we wished we wanted to be out of here and free it never came true?” Christopher asked.

Buffy paused and looked at the kid. ‘Good point…’ she had to admit to herself.

“Duh!” Noelle spoke up before Buffy could respond, “You never said ‘Abracadabra’ Chris...”

Chris rolled his eyes at the little girl while Buffy did the opposite—giving her a little proud smile for sticking up for her. ‘Looks like a got a personal fan club…’ Buffy thought.

“The words are Latin…they hold great power and when you put all your energy into believing what they mean you pretty much get the power of ten men bottled up inside you.” Buffy explained.

Lewis sighed and placed his hand on a locked cage that was holding about half a dozen people hostage and muttered, “Patefacio omnipotens.”

Nothing happened.

“That was pathetic Lewis.” A woman whispered.

Noelle wondered over to another cage occupied by people and closed her eyes and whispered sacredly, “Patefacio omnipotens”

The little girl pulled the bars with a big tug and the door opened widely with ease. Noelle smiled in victory.

All the adults and Buffy had there mouths opened at the little six year old doing something so powerful.

“Wow…” Christopher muttered, saying aloud what was on all the grown ups thoughts around him.


-------------------------------------------------------------

Spike stepped off the elevator quickly and strutted into the lobby of the hotel. With his jaw clenched and his temper still steaming he gave off a vibe about himself that certainly read ‘untouchable’.

A few of Angelus’s lackey’s spotted Spike from the far end of the casino. They started to point and muttered comments about the bleach blonde before walking over with weapons held in hand. But even before the vampires could lay a hand on Spike, the bleached blonde had all the lackey’s tumbling to the ground after a few quick punches.

Everyone in the lobby, mostly vampires and demons, turned at the commotion. When Spike pulled out a stake from his pocket he heard hisses of distaste from the crowds around him.

Spike glanced up around him and noticed about five more vampires were advancing on him and about a dozen more were storming through surrounding entrances.

“This ought to be a picnic…” Spike grunted while staking a nearby vampire and then charging at the advancing crowd around him.


----------------------------------

“Patefacio omnipotens” Christopher whispered while closing his eyes. And when he opened them he smiled at the opened door that freed people.

The young boy turned his head and watched as humans started to come out of there cells and flood into the hallway—hugging and smiling at one another for there new founding freedom.

“Okay everyone!” Buffy announced loud so she could get everyone’s attention.

All the humans quieted down and turned to her. In the background Lewis and a few others were still opening cages and freeing humans.

“We have to get out of here and stay together. I’ve found out there is only one way of escape…the door behind me.” Buffy said and pointed to a wooden door. “And I have a feeling that there will be vampires guarding it. Now I really don’t know how many there is going to be so I’m going to have to ask you guys this favor…help me.”

Buffy paused and watched around her in the darkness at adults muttering to one another before she spoke up again.

“I know it’s a lot to ask but think of what you’ll be doing in the process…saving our world…a world that seems to no longer belong to us. Evil has taken it from our hands and won that battle a long time ago…but… they haven’t won the war. Just by taking a stand and saying ‘I will not give up’ makes you a hero…that’s what can make us an army. It’s us versus them...I can’t force you to do something you don’t want to…but I know I can’t do it without you…so, what do you say?”


--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Two lonely and bored out of there mind vampires were standing guard at locked door. One vampire was showing the other a silly childish card trick.

“Is your card the….the ace of spaces?” one vampire asked the other.

“No you idiot…” the other one said and shook his head in disgrace.

“What? Let me see your card?” he asked.

“It was the joker card…you Joker.” The vampire laughed and threw the playing card down at the ground.

A sudden bang came from behind the locked door that caused both of the vampires to jump in surprise.

“What was that?” the vampire that still held the deck of playing cards asked.

“I don’t know…check it out.” The other one muttered and nudged the vampire closer to the door.

“Why me?”

“Because you’re the Joker.” He laughed.

Another bang came from the opposite side of the door again and the two vampires shared a serious look with one another. One vampire reached out to grab its gun but didn’t have time to reach it before the door burst open with a crack and revealed Buffy behind it.

“Hello boys…” the Slayer smiled and stepped out from the doorway into the lit room with her hands on her hips.

The two vampires blinked a few times in shock and looked behind the Slayers shoulder to see a countless number of humans standing there and looking just as pissed off as she was.

“Uh-oh…” one vampire sang with a frightened look.

“Get em’!!!” Buffy yelled and all the humans rushed out of the door with a battle cry singing from their throat and fire in there belly. They were an army now and they were standing there ground.


------------------------------------------------------------------

Eli sat cross legged on the ground of the dark tunnel with the orb glowing in front of him as he chanted with his eyes closed.

He was so deep in concentration that he didn’t hear the shuffling footsteps behind him. It was only when a familiar voice spoke up that he stopped his spell and turned around.

“So this is where you’ve been hiding…” Rufus muttered.

Eli took in a deep breath as he looked up at his brother wizard before him.

“Rufus…” Eli muttered and stood up quickly.

Rufus eyed the glowing orb on the ground and then looked back at Eli’s face.

“What do you think you’re doing?” Rufus asked.

“The right thing…something good for a change.” Eli said.

“Good for a….” Rufus stopped and laughed at the words, “You feeling guilty are you? Don’t you realize what’s happening around you…the end is coming and its time to pick sides.”

“And you obviously picked Angelus’s side…” Eli stated. It wasn’t a question without a doubt that he knew Rufus had gone completely bad.

“Why not? It’s a side I know that will win…” Rufus explained.

“But its wrong…can’t you see that?” Eli asked, trying to see if maybe there was one spark of goodness still left in the wizard.

Rufus shrugged, “So what? Its easy to give in…” and the Rufus pulled from out of his coat jacket a gun. “Wouldn’t you agree?”

Eli reacted by taking a step backwards immediately and rising his hands up in the air. “So this is how it’s going to be?” Eli asked, “You going to kill me?”

“I know what that orb is…” Rufus motioned to ground at the glowing orb that was still shining away. “You were going to restore his soul…”

“Quit the contrary…” Eli muttered and eyed Rufus’s fingers that were on the trigger of the gun. “That wasn’t what I was doing.”

“I’m not stupid Eli…I may not be as powerful wizard as you, but I do understand a few things…” Rufus narrowed his eyes and tighten his finger on the trigger a little bit more but not enough pressure to cause the gun to go off.

“Is this why you decided to go bad? So you can have to upper hand for once? Be in the power seat for a change?” Eli asked in disgust and then shook his head, “Well that’s not going to get you anywhere…you think being bad will make you Angelus’s number two man? That you’ll have power…”

“I will have power.” Rufus contradicted, “I already have it…do you see me being the one holding his hands up in surrender?”

“Shoot me then…” Eli challenged. “Do it…since your so bad…do it.”

Rufus raised the gun to Eli’s head. The good wizard bit his lip hard and froze in fear. The moment that Rufus had his gun pointed at his wizard brother seemed to linger for what seemed like days…Eli closed his eyes and waited. When he finally heard the gun go off he waited…waited for the pain…but somehow it never came.

Eli blinked his eyes open and saw the gun was no longer pointed at his face, but that the orb was blown to bits and was smoking a little bit on the ground. He turned and gave a questionable look to Rufus and saw that evil wizard was staring daggers at him.

“Whatever you were doing can never be done now…” Rufus said.

“I was trying to undo what you did…return the sunlight…” Eli explained, “Using the energy from the orb, I was going to undo the deed you shamelessly did.”

“I’ve grown accustom to the dark.” Rufus replied.

“You won’t be too fond of it when Angelus’s decides to turn on you and make a midnight snack of your neck.” Eli taunted out.

Rufus gave a deep growl before dropping the gun in his fingers and tackling Eli down to ground. The two wizard’s battle back and forth like young brothers would do as children. Rufus delivered a round of punches to Eli’s face at first but then the good wizard shoved him back and got in a few sucker punches too.

“Absentis!” Rufus muttered magically and sent Eli flying across the room, knocking over the lit torch, and causing one of the flames to land on the wire of the dynamite.

When Eli got up to his feet his eyes widened at what had happened. “Oh my god…” he muttered to himself and seemed to be unable to move. The wizard’s mind drifted back to Spike and Buffy…and the fact that they were still fighting in the hotel without knowing that a major explosion was about to happen.

Eli was about to rush forward and try to stop the spark from hitting the dynamite from happening when he got tackled again by Rufus from behind. The two wizards once again went down…wrestling on the ground.

“Stop it!” Eli grunted, “I have to…” he muttered in between fighting Rufus, “Buffy…Spike…”

“Oh shut up…” Rufus muttered and picked up the gun that was not back in his hand and aimed to fire.


--------------------------------------------------------

Outside the dark city of Las Vegas all was quiet and calm….even though it was run by vampires now it looked completely innocent.

The calmness was gone within seconds when a giant fire ball erupted over the main casino and a few other nearby by buildings. The whole top half of Angelus’s casino was blown to bits and only a giant mushroom cloud of dust lingering in the air.

It would have been a miracle if anyone survived…


TBC...