Chapter 5: I Walk Alone

If Spike had a heart it would be racing. He hadn’t been to Sunnydale in years and didn’t plan to return ever again, but there he was, in the middle of the night, speeding down the highway moving closer to the Hellmouth.

Every mile Spike got closer to reaching Sunnydale his memories in the back of his head became more and more clear. The memories seemed to play as if they were movie in front of his face.

“I'm counting on you ... to protect her.” Buffy said to Spike as held the ax in his hand.

”Till the end of the word…even if that happens to be tonight.” Spike answered.


He hasn’t played her voice in the back of his head for so many years; he didn’t allow himself do it. Trying to remember her voice only reminded him it was only just a memory, and all he had left was memories. And memories to Spike weren’t good enough.

“I’m counting on you…”

“I’m counting on you…”


Spike’s tears started to well up in his eyes but he never noticed them. The wind from the motorcycle ride blew his tears away in seconds.

He looked up ahead he noticed he was at the overlook of the town, which was once his home for awhile, the good old Hellmouth. He stopped his bike in the middle of the road and looked down at dark town and shook his head in disappointment. He saw in some of the streets barrels of fire burning and demons on the east side of town gathering. The site of Sunnydale looking like this disgusted him so much he started to get anger. He was anger with the new Slayer that was called living in Texas while the Hellmouth looked like this. Spike knew once he had run in with the new slayer, he was going to give her a good yelling at…and maybe her Watcher too.

Spike sighed, “Home sweet home.” He said to himself and started his bike up and traveled down into the valley of Sunnydale. He didn’t even have to bother doing his custom ritual of knocking over the ‘Welcome to Sunnydale’ sign, it was already knocked over.


She walked the alley with attitude, with a stake in hand and glare that would cause anyone a second thought before messing with her. Whistler cleaned her up the night before; gave her new clothes and a new set of weapons so she could do her job. Her hair was decent and her skin was nice and clean, anyone that didn’t know her would never guess she had been dead for eighty years.

Her mission was pretty clear after talking with Whistler, kill everything in the town. Take back her town; take back what was once hers.

Buffy came to the end of the alley and looked out onto the street and saw a bunch of demons gathering around a fire. Buffy was about to step out of the alley when a hand grabbed Buffy’s shoulder. On impulse, Buffy grabbed the hand and threw it over her shoulder and then noticed it was Whistler.

“Nice reflexes kid.” Whistler said with a touch of pain in his voice.

”What are you doing out here?” Buffy asked. She didn’t seem to be friendly or be sorry for her actions. She seemed nasty and defensive.

”Seeing what you are doing out here.” Whistler said and started to get up on his feet.

“I’m the Slayer…this is my business.” She nodded over to the group of demons.

”I know that…but don’t you think…maybe you should…I don’t know…wait?” Whistler didn’t want to come out and say that the Slayer couldn’t handle herself; if he did he knew he would get another throw down by her.

“I think this town has done enough waiting…its time to kill some demons.” Buffy said.

”Uh…do you think that’s a good idea…I’m mean, you just got back and all…you may be a bit…rusty.” Whistler said.

”Didn’t seem rusty when I threw you across over my shoulder.” Buffy said.

”Well that’s different, I’m not a fighting demon….they are.” Whistler motioned to the demon pack.

”Get out of my way.” Buffy said

Whistler knew there was no way he could take on the Slayer, so this time he stepped away and let Buffy exit the alley.


Spike rode on his motorcycle to the entrance of the cemetery and stopped. He got off his bike and looked at the degraded graveyard and shook his head and started to walk into the cemetery.

He was on a mission to know what the news in Sunnydale was, if there was really a Slayer or not protecting the town. The only demon Spike knew that would be happy to answer his questions was his old friend Clem, if he was still alive and living in his old crypt.

Spike didn’t bother to knock when he opened his old crypt door. Clem instantly jumped out of his seat in front of the TV and his bowl of popcorn tumbled to the ground.

”Oh man…way to make an old demon—“ Clem instantly stopped in mid-sentence when he saw his bleached blond vampire friend walk through the door, “Spike?! Where have you been…long time no see pal.”

”Hey Clem.” Spike gave a nod.

”What…how? Where’ve you been?” Clem asked, “Been awful lonely with you gone and all.”

“Yeah…look…Clem…” Spike started but got interrupted.

”You should have been around two weeks ago…a couple of the old gang got together and decided to go to that new demon casino on the edge of Vegas and—“

”Clem!” Spike stopped Clem from talking.

”Yeah?” Clem asked.

”Look…I got some news that I need to know if it’s true or not…” Spike began.

”OH you mean about the Slayer…wow, news travels fast...I mean she only just got here about a day ago.” Clem said.

”So it’s true? The Slayer is in town?” Spike asked.

”Well yeah…but—“ Clem said but that was all Spike wanted to hear and went out the door, “Wait!” Clem called out, “Jeezs…no one lets me ever finish.” Clem mumbled.

TBC…thanks for all the reviews and the nomination.