Chapter 6: The Aftermath

Summer, 2001


Xander and Willow took every back street that they knew in Sunnydale to get away from the demon bikers that had invaded town. They had wondered around for nearly two hours, trying to find a familiar landmark that might guide them to The Magic Box. Willow being wiped out from the big spell that was performed, didn’t help there journey.

“Do you know where we are?” Willow asked Xander who had his arm around her waist, trying to help her walk.

”Uh…” Xander looked around, “Yeah…I think the Magic Box is this way.” He pointed forward down a different alley and they started to travel some more.

The two best friends walked in silence down the alley, both of them still had there minds on what happened earlier.

“Maybe we could try again…I mean…maybe-maybe we can find another urn.” Willow said out of the blue.

“Will please…” Xander said in a tone that pretty much begged Willow not get into the discussion about the resurrection of there friend.

”We could…I mean—or maybe Tara and I could—“, Willow began but stopped when Xander stopped walking. Willow turned to Xander to see why he stopped.

”She’s gone Willow.” Xander looked straight into Willow’s eyes and tried to set things clear to his best friend.

Willow just looked at Xander, her eyes were starting to get watery but she never let a tear roll down her cheek. They both started to walk again down the alley in complete misery.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Inside The Magic Box Tara and Anya were worrying about Willow and Xander. Anya was pacing near the counter while Tara was checking out the big front window to see what was going on outside.

Frantic knocking was heard from the back training room. Both Anya and Tara exchanged a glance before rushing towards the back door.

”Umm…looters?” Anya asked in a scared voice. Tara just rolled her eyes at Anya’s question.

”Anya!” Xander’s voice was heard from the other side of the door.

”Xander?” Anya asked in relieved voice and unlocked the back door and opened to see Xander and Willow.

Tara helped Xander take Willow, and Anya instantly gave Xander a hug at the doorway.

”I knew you weren’t dead.” Anya said as she hugged him.

”I will be if we don’t close this door.” Xander said and loosened out of Anya’s hug and shut to door.

Xander and Anya turned to see Willow and Tara sitting on a stack of gym mats.

”What took you guys so long?” Tara asked.

”We kind of got lost in the woods…did you hear from Spike and Dawn?” Xander asked.

”No…we called them but no answer.” Anya said.

“Maybe they’re on their way.” When Xander finished his sentence he heard a frantic knock at the door Willow and Xander just came through.

”Ask if it’s a looter.” Anya whispered to Xander.

“Open the bloody door!” Spike yelled from the other side of the door.

Xander quickly opened the door to see Spike and Dawn, and they both quickly entered. Dawn was wearing a football helmet.

”What’s up with the hat?” Anya asked about Dawn’s football helmet.

”It’s a helmet.” Dawn said defensively and took off the football helmet and threw it down on the ground.

“Jeezes…no reason to get defensive.” Anya mumbled.

”How many are out there?” Xander asked Spike about the demons outside.

”I don’t know…saw a bunch near the house...I don’t get why they’re here…” Spike said.

”Well…it seems that they know about Buffybot.” Anya explained.

”What?” Spike asked and looked at Willow and Tara. Spike saw blood stained on Willow’s face and squinted his eyes to examine her, “What happened to you? Is that blood?” Spike asked Willow about her face and took a step closer to her.

Willow instantly looked down, wanting to hide her face.

Spike looked from Willow to Anya and Xander and back to Willow and Tara, “What’s going on?” he demanded. Dawn also looked around at the group, waiting for answers too.

”Nothing…” Willow mumbled.

”If nothing happened, why did you paint your face with bloody blood?” Spike asked. He was started to get mad because the Scoobies were obviously keeping something from him.

”We did a spell.” Tara came out and said it.

”A spell?” Spike asked.

“Yes, but it doesn’t matter now…it didn’t work.” Willow looked up at Spike.

”What kind of spell?” Dawn asked.

”Anya take Dawn in the other room.” Spike said while glaring at Willow. It seemed that by just looking at Willow he figured out what happened.

”But—“, Dawn was about to object but got cut off by Spike’s hard voice.

”Now.” Spike said sternly.

Anya and Dawn didn’t want to mess with Spike so they did as they were told. As soon as the two girls left Spike started to move closer to Willow and Tara.

”Please tell you didn’t do what I think you did.” Spike said.

”We did.” Willow said looking at Spike and with no shame in her voice, “But it doesn’t matter…it didn’t work.”

“Look—“, Xander was about to explain but stopped when Spike’s head wiped around and gave a deathly glare.

Spike turned back to Willow, “How could you do this…how could you not tell me?!” Spike shouted and clenched his jaw.

”We thought you wouldn’t—“, Tara began.

”Thought I what?!” Spike asked, “Understand? Approve? Because you’d be right, I don’t approve. How could you be so stupid! What if you started an apocalypse?!” Spike paused and said it a low voice, “What if you did something to her soul?”
Xander, Tara, and Willow looked away from Spike’s face, sort of looking ashamed. They never thought of the affect of what now happened that the spell was only partly done.

”You think I don’t want her back?! I probably want her back more than all of you combined…but this wasn’t the way…did you even think of the affects…the consequences?” Spike asked the three.

”It doesn’t matter now! It didn’t work!” Willow spoke let tear escape her eye, “We failed...I failed.”

TBC....