Chapter 10: Welcome to Hell


‘Because I love you…’ The sound of Spike voice echoed in Buffy’s head as she walked down the sidewalk of the trashed Sunnydale. At Buffy’s side as she walked was Spike, having no intention of leaving one step away from her. After Spike told her he loved her they just simple started walking all of over Sunnydale, not talking.

At times Buffy glanced over at Spike and noticed that there was something different about him. She tried to pinpoint what the change was but came out with nothing. Buffy noted that he still dressed the same and had the same bright bleached hair, so she concluded that it wasn’t his physical appearance that changed.

As they kept walking Buffy’s thoughts were automatically washed away when she saw something. She stopped dead in her tracks to stare.

Spike noticed Buffy wasn’t walking by her side anymore and so he turned around and looked to see what she was doing. Spike saw her looking at the building that was once the popular Sunnydale hangout, The Bronze. However, it wasn’t The Bronze that Buffy was once familiar with; the building was old and looked unsafe.

Spike looked from the building back to Buffy for her reaction. He stood there for a few moments until her saw her finally starting to walk towards the building entrance. Spike watched as Buffy ripped nailed boards off the main door, and walk inside. Spike followed her at a safe distance, not wanting to disturb her.

Inside The Bronze the air was stale and dusty. To Buffy it was just yesterday that the building had be reopened after the troll destroyed part of the building, but for her to see it like this now it was just mind-blowing.

Buffy walked over to what was left of the performance stage, and ran her hand across the dust that had collected over the years.

“Not pretty is it?” the sound of Spike’s voice echoed in the building.

”No…it’s not.” Buffy said in a whisper without looking at Spike.

“This place has really gone downhill…” Spike said while looking around at the building, “Nothing in this town is right anymore.”

Buffy turned around and faced Spike, “What happened to my town? Why did it get so bad?”

Spike quickly glanced at Buffy when she addressed him and stared at her for a moment, “You died is what happened.”

”What’s that suppose to mean?” Buffy asked.

”It means…once you died…it seems that the town died too.” Spike said giving Buffy a meaningful look.

Buffy looked down at the ground to think and then looked back at Spike, “I can’t believe that happened…that my friends…Giles…I can’t believe they would let that happen.”

”It’s not their fault pet…their was no slayer in town and so we did the best we could …your friends couldn’t fight forever…old age caught up with them.” Spike said and then looked down.

Buffy also looked down at the floor. She couldn’t believe they were gone.

”How about you?” Buffy asked without looking up at Spike.

”What about me?” Spike looked back at her.

”Why’d you stop fighting?” Buffy looked up at him.

”I never have…just…I haven’t been around here…” Spike explained, “I guess Sunnydale seemed like a lost cause…no one cared anymore and so, I guess I stopped caring too.”

”And other Slayers?” Buffy asked.

”Other Slayers are around...just not stationed here…I guess they were just too scared.”

”Too scared?! Being the Slayer means putting fear aside and facing the scariest thing the world has to offer…being the Slayer means not caring about your own damn life and caring about other people’s lives before your own. Too scared? I guess those girls don’t really know what a Slayer really is.” Buffy said.

Spike looked at Buffy’s face and saw how upset she was. “Yeah…I guess they don’t” he said while staring at her.

Buffy walked over to a wobbly table and looked down at it. She turned her back to Spike so he couldn’t see some of her tears escape her eyes. The tears slid down her cheek and onto the dusting table, leaving imprints in the dust.

“About that night…” Spike started. He wanted to say this for eighty years to Buffy and now he had his chance. “The night we fought Glory…I just…” Spike looked up and saw Buffy looking at him with teary eyes. He wanted to come over and brush her tears away but he just continued talking, “I’m sorry for what happened…”

”What?” Buffy breathed out.

Spike couldn’t continue while looking at her face so he turned away and continue to speak, “If I did what you told me- if could have kept Dawn safe…you wouldn’t have had to jump.”

Buffy gazed at Spike until she spoke, “No…”

Spike turned to face her.

”It wasn’t your fault…” Buffy said.

”Buffy if—“

”Death was my gift.” Buffy interrupted him.

”What?” Spike asked after a moment of silence.

”A few weeks before the battle…I went on a spiritual guide. The First Slayer told me that death was my gift…I didn’t understand what it meant until I was up on that tower. Everything was so clear and I knew everyone I loved was going to be alright, so I sacrificed myself for my sister…I died for the world…” Buffy looked around at the building, “But not this world.” She looked back at Spike, “I don’t know what to do now….”

”How ‘bout we take it one day at a time?” Spike suggested, “And for now let’s go back and get some rest and some food…you must be starved.”

Buffy nodded and walked towards the exit and Spike walked beside her.

”What about the town?” Buffy asked.

”It will still be here tomorrow…” Spike said as they both exited The Bronze the way they came in.

*~*~*~*~*~*


Las Vegas….

It seemed that Sunnydale wasn’t the only place where demons had taken over. In Las Vegas demons and vampires seemed to have run amuck. Hotels and casinos were now the owned by vampire gangs. Everything in the city was centered on one hotel though, called The Crypt.

On the twenty-fifth floor was where the vampire staff catered to the owner of the hotel’s everyday need. One vampire knocked on their boss’s door.

”Come in.” a voice yelled from behind the door.

The vampire entered through the door and looked around at the beautifully decorated office in a huge room. The vampire walked slowly towards the main desk as if he was afraid. Behind the desk was a nice executive office chair that faced away from the regular vampire but towards the nicely lighten city of Vegas at night.

”Sir…” the vampire spoke cautiously.

The chair spun around quickly and there sat Angel, grinning.

”Please…call me Angelus.”

TBC…hahaha…cliffhanger.