Chapter 11: Better Left Dead

In the middle of the graveyard at night a group of vampires were hanging, smoking and talking without a care in the world. Now that there were no longer any humans left in Sunnydale they were discussing leaving, find a new town to crash.

”How about Seattle…its rainy 9 months of the year; its vampire paradise.” One vampire suggested to his gang.

“Nahh…that place is already squirming with vamps; it’s like Disney World there for us.” Another vampire said, seeming to be the leader of the gang.

“Is Disney World still around?” another vampire asked.

”I’m not sure.”

”We could go and find out.”

”Florida is one of the sunniest places in the country you dumby.” The vampire leader said and threw is cigarette near the vampires head.

”How about Vegas…heard that’s the place to go.” Another vampire said.

”Yeah but it’s like invitational only to get to stay at the nice buildings that are sun-proof.” The leader said.

“I think you guys should go to Colorado…” Buffy’s voice came out of no where.

The vampires got up off the ground and looked around and spotted Buffy and Spike standing on top of a crypt. The vampires just glared at the two of them.

”…I hear it’s nice time of year…but hey…that’s just my opinion.” Buffy said then got serious and whipped out her stake.

Both Spike and Buffy jumped down off the crypts roof and started to fight the group of vampires. The fight was two to ten in the beginning but after nearly twenty seconds the vampires were dropping like flies.

Spike punched one vampire down onto the ground. On the ground the vampire examined Spike.

”Hey…aren’t you Spike?” the vampire asked.

”Good guess.” Spike said and pulled out a crossbow from behind his back and aimed it at the vampire, “Now here’s a lovely prize for playing our game.” Spike pulled the trigger and hit the vampire straight in the heart. Spike started to reload his weapon but he paused when he looked over to see Buffy fighting off her last vampire.

’God how I miss watching this…’ Spike thought to himself as he watched Buffy’s moves.

Buffy plunged the stake into the vampire and then began to dust herself off. She turned around and stopped when she saw Spike staring at her.

”What?” Buffy asked.

”Nothing…” Spike said quietly and shook his head.

Buffy shrugged and started to walk off in the graveyard. Spike followed close behind.

“So…good fight back there huh?” Spike said after there was a moment of silence.

It had been a week since Buffy had been back from the grave, and everyday Spike thought he was starting to make a little bit more progress with Buffy. He was glad that she didn’t look so pale anymore and that she was starting to eat when he took her out of the town to a regular restaurant. He noticed she was talking more, but however it wasn’t the things Spike wanted to hear. He wanted to know where she was when she was dead, and how she is feeling about being back.

They both still stayed a Clem’s crypt until they could find another arrangement.

“Yeah…I guess it was a good fight.” Buffy said while she was still walking and looking around the cemetery.

Spike grabbed Buffy’s arm to make her stop walking, and she did.

”What?” she asked.

“Just…” Spike started while staring at her. He noticed she had a blank face that he could read. In the past, Spike knew how to read her like a book but now it was hard to know if she was sad or really pissed at him. He hated not knowing what was going on in her head, he felt like he had to keep his guard on all the time, because he didn’t know if she would strike out at any point in time.

“What?” she asked again with a little more attitude.

”Nothing…” Spike mumbled as he stared at her.

Buffy shook her head and turned around and started to leave, but Spike didn’t follow.

”Where were you?” Spike called out to Buffy.

Buffy froze in place for a moment before turning slowly around and looked back at Spike.

”I need to know…” Spike said, “Where were you after you…?”

Buffy paused, “Why do you want to know?”

“Because I have to know…” Spike said and started to walk towards her, “It will eat me away if I don’t know and right now it’s eating you away too.”

Buffy stared at Spike for a moment, “Alright…I’ll tell you.”

Spike was surprised that she agreed so quickly. Usually it was like pulling teeth with to cooperate.

”But you have to tell me one thing…” Buffy continued.

”What’s that?” Spike asked.

”Why and who brought me back?” Buffy asked, “Whistler said you had all the answers…so…tell me.”

Spike glanced away from her as he began to speak, he could bear to look her in the eye. He took a deep breath, “It-It was the summer after you…after you died when it all began. I was looking after Dawn one night, Giles had flown away to England, and your friends….your friends decided to go behind my back and do something dangerous.”
Spike faced Buffy as he ended his sentenced.

Buffy took a deep breath and waited for him to continue.

”They thought Giles, Dawn, and I didn’t understand the pain they were going through…” Spike snorted, “However, it was just the opposite….we felt the pain ten times as much as they did, we were the ones hurting the most.”

Buffy looked down at her feet, still listening.

”So they performed the spell one night…but it got disrupted…Sunnydale was under attack by a bunch of demons and they interrupted the spell, which didn’t make it work out the way they planned.” Spike paused, “I guess they didn’t get what they bargained for.”

“Why’d they do it?” Buffy asked softly as she looked up at Spike with a few tears running down her cheek.

”I think you know why.” Spike said.

Buffy sniffed and nodded. She turned around so Spike could no longer see her tears or see the expression on his face what she was about to tell him. She looked out in a distance at the graveyard as she began to speak.

”I can’t believe they…if they loved me they would let me go.”

”Buffy—“ Spike started but she interrupted.

”I was happy.” She simply said and stared off in a daze, “…and I was at peace…being…where I was…I felt a great deal of happiness and love and joy. I felt complete…and finished.”

While Buffy talked on Spike stood there in shock.

“…I don’t know what to call where I was...if there really is a heaven…then…then I think I was there.”

Buffy looks upset and distressed. She then starts to walk away and lift Spike standing alone in the graveyard. What Buffy didn’t know was that she was not the only one upset, a tear escaped and slide down Spike’s cheek as he watched her walk away.



TBC...