Author's Chapter Notes:
Some of this stuff comes from the episode off of Angel in Season 4 titled “Long Day’s Journey”.
Chapter 12: His Angelic Smile


When Buffy got back to the crypt she went straight to the bottom level and crawled into the bed that she had called her own for the past week. She laid her head on the pillow and stared off at the wall. Buffy didn’t even bother to say hello to Clem when she walked into the crypt. He asked her how patrol was and tried to make small talk but Buffy just tuned him out of her mind and kept walking past him.

When Spike walked through the crypt about an hour later Clem jumped in and started questioning him.

”Hey, where have you been? Buffy’s downstairs…is she alright? She’s been down there for an hour. What’s going on?” Clem asked.

As Clem kept talking Spike walked passed him and over to the weapons chest that was placed in the corner; he put his stakes and the crossbow away.

”Spike?” Clem asked when he noticed Spike was acting odd.

“She was in heaven.” Spike said softly as he stared down at the stake in his hand before he placed it in the chest, “She was in heaven.” Then he slammed the chest closed.

Clem flinched at the loud sound, “What?” he asked quietly.

Spike walked over to a sarcophagus and sat on it. He took a deep breath that was more like a shiver. He kept his eyes locked on his hand, which he was clenching together tightly.

”Heaven…” Spike said and then chuckled at the word, “Of course she would be there…” he mumbled.

Clem frowned, “She told you she was in heaven?”

”Yeah…” Spike sighed.

“At least you now know why she is…the way she is.” Clem said.

”Yeah…god…why is this happening to her?” Spike asked, “She doesn’t deserve this.”

”Yeah…I know….” Clem said as he watched Spike get up off his seat and started to pace.

”We should keep a close eye on her…” Spike concluded and then looked back at Clem, “Theirs no telling what she could do.”

”Right…sure I’ll look out for her.” Clem nodded and then automatically thought of something, “Wait…did you tell her about your…you know?”

”No…not yet.” Spike said.

”You can’t hide it forever.” Clem said.

”I know…but we have more important things to take care of, like trying to get Buffy back on her feet and getting Sunnydale back to its old self.”

Clem nodded, “Your right…one thing at a time.”

Los Angeles

2002


Cordelia and Connor stood anxiously near their car in an alley, staring up at where the sun was shining. However, the sun was replaced with a ball blocking it, making darkness spread over LA.

Angel and his crew exited the building and came into the alley. Seeing Angel, Cordelia ran over to him.

“Angel we have to talk.” Cordelia said.

Fred glanced up at the sky in awe, “I can’t believe we lost the sun.” Gunn, Angel, and Wesley glanced up with her.

Cordelia ignored Fred’s comment and addressed Angel, “I think I figured it out.”

Angel glanced from the sky to Cordelia’s face, “So have I…The Beast knows me.”

Cordelia shook her head, “No…it knows Angelus…I had a vision while you were gone…a memory.”

Gunn looked at Cordelia, “How could you have a memory that is not your own?”

Cordelia looked at Gunn, “I told you, when I was a higher being, I’d experienced everything Angelus has done. But some how now, the Powers have refreshed me about what happened…” Cordelia turned to Angel, “I saw you...it was long ago…in a field of bodies with The Beast.”

Connor looked at Angel with disgust and outrage, “You knew this thing and you never told us?!”

Angel ignored Connor and stared at the ground, thinking, “No…I couldn’t come up against something like that and not remember.”

Gunn thought of something, “’The answer is among you.’” Angel turned to Gunn and both of their eyes met, “That’s what the little girl in that white room said…is-is this what she meant? That it wasn’t about Connor…that it was about—“

”Angelus.” Fred finished Gunn’s sentence.

Angel shook his head, “I told guys…I don’t remember.”

”I don’t think you should trust your memory Angel…you didn’t remember killing Manny.” Cordelia said.

”What?” Angel asked and turned to Gwen.

”It was an inside job.” Gwen said.

”So what does this mean?” Angel asked.

”It means you’re a suspect. If Cordy is right, then this means that The Beast had some sort of mind control on you to make you forget.” Wesley explained.

”And he has a plan…blocking the sun, taking down Wolfram and Hart, the rain of fire….” Cordelia said, “And I think those things are not the finally straw…it’s gonna lead to something bigger.”

”I don’t know what to tell you guys…I don’t know what the plan is. I don’t remember.” Angel said with frustration. He felt like he was repeating himself a thousand times.

”No, but Angelus might.” Wesley said.

Fred didn’t like the sound of where this conversation was going, “Wes…”

Wesley stared Angel straight in the eye, “The only way to defeat The Beast…” Wesley paused, “Angel, we need you to be Angelus.”

Angel stared at Wesley and all of his crew, and then lastly he stared up at where the sun was. All that was left was darkness consuming the sky.

Las Vegas

2082


Up on the twenty-fifth floor of The Crypt Hotel and Casino, Angelus stared out his big office window in the daylight and smiled. He loved his new necrotempered glass that his staff installed in the hotel so he would burn up.

Their was a knock at the door but Angelus seemed to ignore it, and whoever was outside the door decided to take the chance and come in anyway. The vampire that walked in looked business like, dressing sharp and was holding a folder.

”Uh…boss? Can I have a minute?” the vampire asked.

Angelus just continued to stare out into the city of Las Vegas in a daze; he noticed there were no people out in the streets. He laughed to himself, ‘Maybe because there ARE no PEOPLE left in the city…only demons.’ he thought.

”I remember a time where the sky was dark all day long…for days.” Angelus said out loud, remembering the time The Beast came to L.A.

The vampire that stood a few feet away looking side to side, not know how to respond.

Angelus placed his hand on the window, and looked at his hand, “We’re like caged animals here…” he said while still looking at his hand stay on the glass, “This is not good enough.” Angelus mumbled.

From Angelus’s point of view, he was the one being laughed at; being looked down upon. At the moment he didn’t seem too satisfied with his big hotel and casino, and the fact that practically ever vampire in the city loved him. Angelus wanted more.

Angelus took his hand off the glass and made a fist and punched the glass. His hand sizzled as he drew it back from the outside daylight and he walked off away from the direct sunlight that came pouring through the hole in the window. However the little business vampire wasn’t too lucky, in an instant he was on fire; burning into dust because he was standing right in front of where the hole was made. Angelus didn’t take the bother at watching the vampire burn, he just walked across his office, avoiding the sun, and walked out his door.

In the hallway Angelus grabbed a random vampire that walked by and barked an order, “It seems I made a mess in my office…clean it up.”

”Right away sir.” The vampire said.

Angelus shoved the vampire away and walked down into the hallway, humming himself and smiling.