Author's Chapter Notes:
I want to say thanks to a wonderful beta and deatr friend- Cas. Thank you so much darlin'. *snuggles*
“Buffy, hey where’ve you been?”

“Yeah, we’ve been looking everywhere for you.”

“Huh, what?” Buffy looked up to see Dawn and Willow there standing in the kitchen in front of her; she hadn’t even heard them come in let alone talking to her. She’d still been trying to get a hold of all her emotions and thoughts.

“Buffy, we’ve been looking for you for hours!” Dawn was practically yelling at her out of frustration and concern for her sister. She’d been so worried when she hadn’t come home earlier in the day. Her fear had grown worse when she’d learned she’d left Spike’s place hours ago and no one had seen hide or hair of her since.

“Dawnie, can I talk to Buffy for a minute alone? Call Xander and Anya for me and tell them we found her.” Willow implored with the younger Summers to not go off the handle at her sister. She wanted to try and talk calmly with her best friend. She knew it wasn’t possible with Dawn around.

“Ok,” she huffed. “I promised Spike I’d let him know, too….” grabbing the phone she walks out of the kitchen, on to the back porch.

They both hear Dawn say, “I just hope he hasn’t done anything stupid like kill himself trying to find you,” as she shuts the door.

“Are you sure you’re ok, Buffy? You look kinda out of it.”

“Will, I’m fine. Just a little tired, that’s all.” Buffy looks up at her best friend and tries to convince them both with a weak smile.

“We’re just glad you’re home safe and sound.” The witch tried to smile, but it didn’t reach her eyes. “We got worried when you didn’t come home so I went to Spike’s to see you. He said you left a few hours before I came looking for you.”

Giving her best friend a good hard stare, she continued, “He’s really worried too, Buffy. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him this upset before.”

“Sorry.” She sighed looking down. “I just had to take a walk, clear my head.”

After a long pause she looked up, “Look I’m really tired, Will. We’ll talk later, I promise.” Getting up, Buffy hugged Willow, giving her an I’m okay, really smile before heading upstairs to take a nap.

*************

Buffy awoke to the dimly lit room just as the sun was setting. She was feeling a lot better and more rested as well. Buffy could hear Dawn in the bathroom, blow drying her hair.

“Buffy, are you up?” called a quite voice from the other side after they rapped on the door.

“I’m up, Willow. Come in.”

The young red head entered the room and took a seat at the foot of the bed. “We’re all going to the Bronze for a while. Wanna come?”

“Thanks. I’ve got to patrol first, but I’ll meet you guys there later.” Buffy’s voice sounded much happier that the morning, letting Willow know she meant it.

A few minutes later, Willow left to find Dawn so they could leave, where they’d meet up with Xander and Anya at the Bronze. Getting up, Buffy looked out the window as the last rays of the sun sunk behind the mountains in the distances; it was her one of her favorite times of the day- beautiful and dangerous at the same time.

She knew it was almost time for the vampires and demons to come out. She had work to do. “There’s never a lack of things to kill in Sunnydale, is there?” she said to herself, as she went into the bathroom to take a shower.

*******

As Buffy stepped out of the shower, she heard a noise in her room. Thinking it was Willow or Dawn, she left the bathroom in just a short towel and entered her room.

“Spike! What the hell are you doing here and in my room?” she gasped, trying her best to cover herself more from his lustful gaze.

“Waiting for ya, luv. Had to make sure ya’re alright,” Spike said softly as he looked her up and down, giving her the ‘raised eyebrow smile’ of his. She loved that smile. She always melted when he did that.

“No, really. What are you doing here? Dawn and Willow are here.” Buffy whispered trying to make sure no one heard her.

“They’re gone. Waited until they left before I came up. I’m not stupid, you know.”

“You sure about that one?” she snorted, turning her back on him and pretending to find clothes.

Spike snorted back. “Positive, pet. They left about 10 minutes ago. Heard ya in the shower and figured ya didn’t want any help in there. I mean I wanted to help, just didn’t know where we stand after last night… or this morning, and all.”

“We’re fine, Spike. I’m not mad or anything. Thanks for taking care of me last night. I mean with the Angel/ Connor thing,” Buffy babbled, trying not to look at him. She was embarrassed and didn’t want him to see.

Spike loved hearing her babble. She was always so cute when she was like that, he thought, smiling at her. “That’s ok. I mean, I hope you’re better. Got worried when Red came looking for you. I was really worried something had happed to you.”

“Oh, I just had to take a walk and clear my head. I went to my mother’s grave. I haven’t had much time lately to go.”

Spike nodded, “Just glad yer all right. I went by myself earlier had a good long talk. Had to catch her up on a few things,” he admitted. Spike had always enjoyed the long talks with Joyce.

Slowly, Buffy walked towards the bed. She reached down and picked up her clothes. Spike sat on the edge; her black leather pants were just under his leg. Buffy tugged him off her pants, not really wanting to see just how much his presence affected her. “I’ve gotta go.”

She paused just long enough to look out the window. “It’s late and I need to patrol,” she offered, then walked back into the bathroom.

A few minutes later Buffy immerged from the bathroom wearing those black leather pants he loved so much, and a white sweater that was fitted but not too tight; it had a plunging neck line that revealed just enough cleavage.

Spike sat speechless on the bed with his mouth hanging slightly open. ‘God she looks beautiful,’ he thought to himself ‘and she’s mine. Maybe? Ya, she’s mine.’

“I’m ready to go, are you coming?” Buffy called to him, still sitting on the bed. Opening the door, she walked out.

Spike looked up. “Coming pet, that is if ya want me to?” Spike called out, a tad bit unsure as he followed her down the stairs and out the front door. Even though it was something they regularly did, for some reason things felt different between them now. Something he couldn’t quite name, or not yet anyway.


***********

“We’ve already patrolled this section four times, luv. There’s no big bads here, unless ya’re counting me that is?” Spike smirked.

“I guess you’re right, Spike. Too bad, I was really in the mood to kill something tonight.” Buffy joked trying to cover her growing nerves about meeting up with the rest of the gang.

“What’s wrong?” Spike asked, as he stopped in front of her.

Buffy sighed, “It’s just…. Just I don’t want to go to the Bronze and have to face all of them. Not to mention the questions like, ‘Hi Buffy, why did you stay the night at Spike’s’? Or ‘So I heard that Angel called last night and you wigged out. What’s that all about?’” Buffy said in her best Anya voice.

Spike chuckled; knowing the demon like he did, he knew she wasn’t far off. Anya was a lot of things but couth was not one of them. “Yeah, I see yer point. So, what, ya’re just going to patrol all night ta avoid the inevitability, luv?”

“No. I guess I should go. I’ve stalled long enough.” She sighed, looking up at him. “Can you please come with me?”

“Don’t ya think they’ll get suspicious? They’re going ta ask questions, anyway.”

“I know, but at least I’ll have someone to back me up this way.” Buffy begged him with her eyes. And he caved in, like always. There was just something about his slayer. He could never say no to her, even when he knew he should.

Buffy grinned, grabbing his hand, “Ok, let’s go,” she beamed, dragging him off in the direction of the nightclub. “Oh and don’t say a word about why Angel really called.”

“Connor? Don’t worry, luv. I’m not touching that one not in a million years. That’s yer place, not mine.”

“Good ‘cause I’m not ready to talk about that not quite yet.” Buffy sighed losing some of her momentum.

************


“Ready?” Spike asked.

“No, not ready. But I guess we have to go in.” Buffy sighed, giving Spike’s hand a squeeze before letting it go.

She didn’t want to go in and she especially didn’t want to loose the calming feeling she had when ever Spike was touching her. She couldn’t explain it but somehow he seemed to calm her, even if it was just a bit, she needed that most of all right now to face her friends.

Inside, they try to avoid the questions by dancing and avoiding Anya and Xander in particular. Willow all ready knew most of what happened and tried to help by running interference between the other couple and them.

“Thanks, Red.” Spike whispered in her ear as they danced.

“I’m doing this for my best friend. Why are you doing it? Why are you keeping her secret, what do you want in return? Money? Or do you want something that money can’t get you?” Willow had a tone of suspicion in her voice.

“I’m doing it for Buffy. She’s my friend too.” Spike stated matter of factly.

“When did you two become friends?”

“Over time. Over time, Red.”

Willow was quite surprised at the way Spike and Buffy were getting along so well and wondered if more happened last night that Buffy had told her.

“Can I cut in?” The young Summers asked, tapping the petite red head on the shoulder.

“Sure, Dawnie.”

“Thanks, Willow.” She smiled as she and Willow traded positions.

Spike and Dawn danced while Willow went to find Buffy. “We need to talk,” she said as she found the slayer hiding out in the darkest corner of the room nursing a coke.

“I’m not ready to talk about Angel’s call or Connor.”

“I don’t want to talk about that. I want to know what happened with you and Spike last night. The two of you are getting along…. Well, too well.”

“We just talked. He helped me see thing a little differently. He helps us patrol, Willow. We’re trying to be friends. It makes thing a little easier, that’s all. It’s not big deal, really.”

“I don’t understand, but it’s getting late and Dawn has school in the morning. I guess it’ll have to wait.”

“Don’t forget I’ve got that new job, too.” Buffy added grateful it was as late as it was. “Let’s get Dawn and go home. Any clue where she might be?” she asked looking around the crowded room.

“She’s dancing with Spike, I think. Or that’s where I left her anyways.”

“I’ll go find her. You go let Xander and Anya know we’re leaving and that I’ll see them tomorrow.” With that Buffy headed to the dance floor to find Dawn and the vamp.

“You can’t cut in, Buffy!” Dawn protested.

“Sorry Dawn, but it’s time to go home. You have school and I have to go to work in the morning.” Buffy wasn’t happy that she had to go either. She really wanted to have a dance with Spike herself, but not on the dance floor. “Let’s go.” She sighed tugging at her sister.

“Spike, can you at least walk us home, pleasssse.” Dawn begged clinging to him.

He chuckled prying her fingers from his leather coat. “Alright Nibblet, I’ll walk ya home, but only if it’s ok with big sis here.”

“Fine with me, as long as you actually leave,” Buffy said with a smirk, as she muttered the last part so only he could hear it.

“Where’s Willow?” Dawn asked.

“Waiting at the door for us,” Spike nodded spotting her. Making their way to the door, they met up with her and headed for home.

*******

“Bye Spike,” Dawn beamed, giving him a quick peck on the cheek as she bounced into the house.

“Bye bit, I’ll see ya after school tomorrow?” Spike said with a smile in his voice.

“You bet!”

“I’ll be waiting.” He chuckled, watching her disappear up the stairs.

“See ya, Spike.”

“Later Red.” He nodded as she too turned to leave.

“Willow I’ll be in, in a few minutes. Make sure she goes to bed.” Buffy asked as she leaned against the porch rail.
“Will do, Buff.”

She waited a minute to make sure that Willow has left and wasn’t listening at the door, before she turned to him, “Thanks, Spike for tonight and everything. You don’t know what this means to me.”

“You can always show me,” he grinned, cocking his scared eye brow.

“Spike,” she laughed, giving him a playful little slap.

“Not right now, maybe later ya could come over. We could work out a payment schedule of some sort.” He smirked.

“Not tonight, maybe another night though.” Buffy’s voice sounded very wicked. Smiling, she gave him a quick kiss before turning in heading in to the house herself.

“Balls, I’m whipped.” Spike mutters under his breath as he started for home himself. ‘But this is a good thing,’ he though making his way back to the crypt.