Author's Chapter Notes:
Note: there is mention of non-main character death in this part. Not graphic but if that sorta thing bothers you just skin over that part.
Also thanks to Casey for beta'ing this for me. you so rock sweetie. *hugs*
Willow, Dawn and the rest of the gang had been talking to Angel, even Spike had.
Willow wanted to know everything about Connor. She was filled with all the usual questions like, ‘How could a vampire have a child, not to mention two vampires having a child?’ It wasn’t possible.

Angel was worried about Buffy, and about how she was taking the news of his son. They even let it slip about Buffy’s little breakdown the night he called, despite Spike’s constant protests.

Angel almost liked his grandchilde for wanting to protect her like he was. He was happy to hear that at least someone was with Buffy when she had her little breakdown, even if it was Spike, and not him.

They also told him about to whole Katrina thing. How Warren and the geek squad killed her and tried to frame Buffy.

Spike was secretly helping Willow find out more about Connor from the elder vamp. They all knew Buffy was slowly getting better, but didn’t want to push the issue. Besides, Spike had other motivations for helping Willow; he really wanted to help Buffy’s dreams come true.

The vision of her lying broken in his arms pouring her heart out haunted him. If there was any way, any way at all, he could give her what she desired, he would.


Spike and Willow sat in the Summers’ kitchen late one night talking about the prophecy Willow has translated after Wesley had sent to her. Dawn had already gone to sleep, and Buffy was out on patrol.

“Hi, Will” Buffy said as she came through the back door, “Dawnie asleep?”

“Yeah she went about an hour ago. What happened to you?” Willow replied taking in the slayer’s appearance. She was covered from head to toe in yellowish- green slime that dripped in thick wet plops when it hit the ground.

“Slimy demon with two heads and lots of gooey mess when you kill it!” Buffy joked. “I need to take a shower. I’m slimy and smell like a Double Meat Medley, yuck!” Walking past Spike, she can’t resist the urge to run her goo covered hand though his hair and make him a little messy too since he hadn’t been there to get slimed.

“Hey, watch the hair, Slayer!” he growled trying to avoid her hands.

“Just getting you back for not going on patrol with me tonight.” Buffy snickered, heading upstairs to take a shower.

The two of them wait until they heard the shower going before going back to the matter at hand.

“So, what ya find, Red?”

“Not much more about Connor. But did you know another vampire had a kid? And that one was prophesized?”

“It says here, that a vampire one day would have a child and that child would be a great leader someday. But that’s all I can get out of this thing.” She sighed in frustration. “There’s nothing about how it could happen or who it will be. The only other thing I did find was a reference to a slayer and a vampire who fall in love about 100 years ago, in one of the watchers’ journals.”

“What did it say?”

“Not much really. But then I came a cross the reference again in another book. Here look.” Willow said turning the book to show Spike. “This refers to a slayer and vamp who fell love. I’m not sure if it’s the same ones but it’s the same time period. This may be a myth or it may be real, but it might explain the whole vampires having babies thing if it’s the real deal.”

“Do tell, Red?” taking the book he studied it, sounding very interested.

“Well, about 100 years ago somewhere in Ireland there was this vampire who was sent to kill a beautiful young slayer.” Willow grinned, happy to think someone else might be just as interested in this as she was. “They fought several times. Once, he had her in his grasp ready to kill her and couldn’t. I mean he didn’t, he just couldn’t because he’d fallen in love with her. He didn’t even try to turn her.”

“During this same time she had several chances to kill him as well, but she didn’t. The last time they fought it ended with them …. You know having…” Willow just couldn’t say it.

“Having Sex?” Spike added, smirking at how shy the red headed witch could be sometimes.

“Yeah, they snuck around, keeping their relationship under wraps so that no one would know, especially her Watcher. They’d been secret lovers for quite awhile when she became pregnant with their child. They tried to hide it, but after a while the Watcher and a few others found out.”

“Almost at the end of the pregnancy his Sire found out, and boy was he pissed. He paid them a visit and gave them an option either the Slayer and child could die or the vampire could. But he wouldn’t let them all live or let them be happy ever again.

“The vampire couldn’t stand the thought of the woman he loved and their child dying, so he made the ultimate sacrifice. He died so that they could live.”

“The Sire left but not before telling her that was why vampires don’t have children. ‘Nothing ever good came from a Vampire in love.’ he told her.”

“She tried to be strong for their child, but after several days she couldn’t take the pain of a broken heart. So she killed herself and their unborn child, hoping to be reunited with her love in the after life.” Willow sighed, finishing the tragic story.

Spike just sat there staring at her; he was amazed by what she had just told him. He knew that everything she’d told him had really happened. He was one of the vampires who had been trusted with this information.

He swore he wouldn’t let that even happen again. Over the past century he’d thousands of nightmares about the way it ended.

How he wished he could’ve stopped the whole thing but he couldn’t. The Master Vampire had kidnapped them while he’d been out feeding. Dru hadn’t even known about them. For a while he had even tried to kill himself for what had happened.

But he wasn’t quiet sure if he should tell Willow that he had been there when it happened. He’d never shared that deep dark secret with another being. To his knowledge none of the others who knew about it had survived.

“I know, heard the myth before.” Spike said deciding it was best to keep his ghost hidden for the time being.

“Is there anything else ya’ve found out in those books?” Trying to change the subject without being to obvious.

Buffy had finished her shower and came downstairs at the very end of the whole thing. She wasn’t sure what Spike had told Willow but she wasn’t stopping to ask. What she heard was more than enough to start her blood boiling.

Standing in the door way of the kitchen, Buffy demanded to speak to Spike outside on the porch. ”Spike, porch now!” she growled.

Spike knew that voice, she only used it when she was going to kill Dawn for something she had done. Without a word he got up and headed for the porch not wanting to make her any madder than she already was.

Willow just stood there blinking, not sure what was going on or how much Buffy had heard of their conversation.

*******

Spike sat on the top step of the porch smoking a cigarette as Buffy came storming out the door. “What the hell did you tell Willow for?” Buffy snapped.

“I didn’t tell her anything, pet.”

“Then what the hell were you two talking about?”

“A prophecy and Connor, Red came across another reference to a vampire having a kid, well almost anyway. The bit died along with its parents at the hand of some master vamp. It was supposed to be a great leader. One who’d bridge the gap between Slayers and Vampires forever. It was going to bring peace to the world.” Spike sighed, finally looking up at her.

“Willow didn’t say anything about that in there. How do you know the baby was to do all this?” Buffy asked calming a bit. She still wanted to know what Spike had told Willow but she wanted to know what he hadn’t told Willow more.

“I know because….. I was there.” Looking down Spike let out a deep breath before continuing. “I was there when it all happened but I couldn’t stop it from happening. I couldn’t stop him from killing him and couldn’t stop the slayer from killing herself and the baby, either. I failed them all, Buffy. I’m never going to let that happen again. Never again.” Spike said, choking back tears.

“You know them? They were real, not a myth?”

“Yeah, they were real. Not going ta let anything like that happen to Connor, either. I know me and Peaches don’t really get along, but I’m not about ta let it happen ta his son.”

Buffy didn’t know what to say, all she could do was sit on the step beside him resting her head on his shoulder. She ached for him. How awful it must have been for her vamp to stand by and watch others he cared about die, unable to do anything to stop it.

It was silent for a while. This had been the first time they’d even mentioned Angel or Connor since the night she found out.

“I’m sorry you had to deal with all of it. That you kept it bottled up inside for all these years. Why didn’t you tell me?”

“Couldn’t just tell ya. Couldn’t tell anyone, luv.”

“You could have. I’m here for you. You know that, don’t you?”

“Thanks luv,” the vamp smiled, wrapping one arm around her and pulling her a little closer.

“How do we help Connor?” she asked softly.

“Not really sure, don’t even know if he’s in any danger. Just know I’m willing ta do anything ta keep him safe.”

Taking a deep cleansing breath Buffy met Spike’s eyes, “I think it’s time I go see Angel and meet his son.” She told him biting her bottom lip, “I’m just kinda afraid of going alone. Would you …you go with me to L.A?” Buffy asked softly in that voice Spike can’t resist.

“Ya want me ta go with ya?” Spike was very surprised Buffy had asked him to go with her and not one of her other friends.

“Yes, Spike I want you to go with me to LA and see Angel and Connor. I think you’re the only one I want to be there when I see him for the first time.”

Nodding, Spike brushed a stray hair out of her face. “When do we leave?”

“Tomorrow night.” She smiled gently, leaning into his touch.