Author's Chapter Notes:
I know, another long wait, but somehow I keep getting super busy. Well, enjoy the chapter! Thanks for all the amazing reviews and to my beta--thanks!
Chapter 17: Confinement



As a child, long car trips bored her, but now they seemed to bore Buffy even more. Especially when her once large collection of CDs had somehow mysteriously dwindled to the meager selection in her travel-size CD case. She’d brought her sketchbook along but felt awkward drawing with Spike so close. Her sketches were personal and the idea of Spike seeing them made Buffy cringe.

“Who wants what for dinner?” Joyce turned around to face the two teens.

Spike shrugged. “Anything but fish.”

Surprisingly, Buffy’s preference was exactly the same. She glanced at Spike to see if he’d noticed that at all, but his eyes were glued to the book in his hand. It’d shocked Buffy when he’d started reading the novel in his hands since he was probably the only teenage male she knew who read for fun. When Buffy had questioned him, Spike had just snapped a remark about her being illiterate.

Geez, and he thought she had issues with the whole ‘let’s-be-friends’ thing.

Giles pulled up into the McDonald’s drive through where Spike ordered a burger and Buffy happily ordered a McFlurry despite her mother’s disapproval. Hey, she’d been stuck in a car for almost four hours and a treat was definitely needed.

She swirled her spoon into the melting mixture, pulling out chunks of Oreos and nibbling on them. Bored, bored, bored. She sighed, loud enough for Spike to hear.

“What with you, Summers?” he muttered before taking a bite of his burger.

Buffy slowly withdrew the spoon from her mouth, making sure she got all of it. “Bored,” she replied after swallowing.

Spike stared at her for a moment, his eyes oddly fastened on her lips. Buffy’s hand raised up to wipe away any ice cream. “Is there something on my face?”

Spike shook his head. “No.” He quickly shoved the burger into his mouth, taking time to chew. Weirdo, she thought.

Buffy nudged him. “Do you have any of your CDs with you?” His iPod was sitting in his lap but music fanatic he was, Spike probably had brought CDs along too.

He gave her a puzzled look. “Yeah, some of my Ramones CDs, but I highly doubt they’re up to your teenybopper tastes.”

Buffy’s nose crinkled with annoyance and distaste. “First of all, I do not have teenybopper tastes, and second of all…” she paused, taking out the CD in her Walkman and shoved it into Spike’s hands.

With wide eyes, he looked down at the CD and up at her. “The Dead Kennedys?”

Buffy nodded with satisfaction. “So…your CD?”

Spike laughed a little, a sound mixed with shock and well…respect. “Never pegged you for a rock/punk fan.”

“My cousin likes them. She introduced me to a bunch of her favorites and I was hooked. Besides, I never pegged you for a…” she looked at the cover of Spike’s book, “poetry fan.”

Spike glared at her but handed the CD over. “I want it back exactly the way I gave it to you,” he warned, “otherwise you’re buying me a new one, got it?”

Buffy mock saluted him. “Got it, sir!”

Joyce, hearing Buffy’s sarcastic tone, turned around. “Stop you two, we’ll be at the place in about a half hour.”

Buffy placed the CD in the Walkman and turned the volume up. Spike had already put his earphones back on, his attention drawn to his book, which was fine because he was just annoying her anyway. Picking up her McFlurry, Buffy spent the rest of the ride enjoying cookies and cream deliciousness and the sound of the Ramones.

********

“This is it?” Buffy asked dubiously, staring at the small beach house. It was older, the light blue with white trim paint faded and the garden overgrown, but what the house lacked in appeal, made up in location. The actual house was up on a slight hill with stairs that led to the beach. There was no one else nearby and the neighbors’ houses were blocked by thick clumps of trees on either side.

“Oh Buffy, isn’t it wonderful?” Joyce asked her daughter happily as she grabbed her suitcase. Giles was already unlocking the door while Spike held on to his and his dad’s suitcases.

“Come on dad, open the bloody door,” Spike grumbled, eager to drop off the heavy bags. What was his dad packing? It was nearly eight-thirty and the sun had set an hour ago, leaving the sky abnormally black without streetlights. The nearest town, Giles had informed them, was about a half-hour away.

“Ha!” Giles exclaimed as the door swung open. “Here we are.”


Everyone clambered into the house, ready to abandon their bags and relax. Being in a car for almost five hours wasn’t all that appealing for anyone.

Buffy looked around, taking in her surroundings. The inside was pretty much the same, old and worn but livable. She frowned slightly. “Um, Giles, where’s my room?”

Much to her surprise, Giles looked a little flustered. “Well, um,” he cleared his throat, “you and William will be sharing a bedroom. There’re two double beds and I’m sure you won’t have…”

Buffy had tuned Giles out at “sharing a bedroom.” She blinked hard and was tempted to pinch herself. Was he serious?

“Sharing a bloody room!” Spike shouted, hearing his father’s words.

Giles winced slightly. “William, don’t make this into a-a complicated matter. There are two beds and a bathroom. You two can manage for a few nights.”

Spike’s jaw tensed and for a moment, Giles thought his son was going to explode again, but instead he just nodded shortly.

“Uh…” Buffy said, unsure. “Share?”

“Get with the program, Summers,” Spike snapped and grabbed her suitcase. “The bedroom is over here.”

She followed him, her brow furrowed. There were, in fact, two double beds and more than enough room for them to somewhat comfortably share. Buffy set her bag on the bed closes to the bay window while Spike set his on the one near the bathroom.

“Guess we’re soddin’ roommates,” Spike said, meeting her gaze. His voice echoed his annoyance but also a tinge of amusement.

Buffy let out a short laugh. “I guess we are.” She smiled a little, relaxing slightly. “Come on, it won’t be that bad.”

“Please,” Spike scoffed, “us? We’re gonna nearly kill each other.”

“Our friendship is weird,” Buffy commented.

Spike had to laugh at that. “Are we?”

“Yes,” Buffy replied confidently, “we can…sometimes…get along. Okay, it’s a twisted version of getting along, but we do. And you’re right, mom and Giles are probably eventually going to get married and we’re gonna be stuck together, so might as well really try to be, friends, I mean.”

Spike regarded her, his head tilted in an almost…sexy way. Ugh, Buffy reminded herself, almost stepbrother here.

“Okay,” Spike simply answered.

“Good.”

They stood there staring at each other before Buffy busied herself with unpacking her own items.

“So…” Spike drawled, breaking the silence, “you swim?”

**********

Buffy begged out of sitting with the family after about a half hour of listening to her mother and Giles being all cutesy with each other. Gag, she thought. In her, or she should say their, room, Buffy was flipping through her magazine when Spike stepped out of the shower, his excuse for avoiding the nauseatingly in- love couple.

Buffy tried to discreetly look at Spike. He was annoyingly leaning around the doorframe revealing his muscular torso and sharp hips to her admittedly hotness-deprived eyes. When was the last time she’d seen a guy that built?

“Summers.” Spike’s voice cut through her hidden ogling.

“Yeah?” She replied, trying to sound unfazed.

“Hand me my shirt would you?” He asked.

Buffy sighed loudly so he’d know she was irritated and walked over to his bed where a black shirt was sitting. “Here,” she said, tossing the shirt into the bathroom. “Why couldn’t you get it yourself?”

“Because I don’t have a bloody towel. I left it in my bag. So unless you were looking for a gratuitous view…” he trailed off.

“Ew,” was all Buffy said as she sat back down on her bed. Actually, if she were totally honest with herself, she wouldn’t have minded all that much. If only that body belonged to someone other than Spike.

She yawned suddenly and realized she was kinda tired. She glanced over at the clock to see it was almost ten. Early-ish for her, but she had gotten up at six-thirty for school.

“I’m going to bed,” she announced and wiggled around to pull the covers back. She’d already washed her face and brushed her teeth before Spike came in to take a shower, so she was all set.

“Fine,” Spike said through the door, “I’m beat myself.” He opened the bathroom door wearing a shirt and boxers. For some reason, Anya’s comment came back to her. The one about Spike sleeping naked. She swallowed hard and looked away, intent on ignoring that thought.

“Night, Summers,” Spike said, his voice muffled by pillows.

“Night,” Buffy managed and turned the light off quickly. “See ya in the morning.”

She could almost see Spike’s smirk. “Run?”

Buffy felt her own smile on her lips. “Absolutely. Ten bucks okay?”

**************

The next morning was slow. Buffy woke up around ten in the morning feeling fully rested. She stretched, arching her back and let out a slight groan.

She glanced over to see Spike’s bed was empty and made, a sure sign he’d been up for a while. Buffy sat up and put her slippers on before walking out.

They were all sitting at the table playing a card game and it looked like Giles was winning, judging by his pleased expression.

Her mother noticed Buffy first and smiled at her. “Hey, look who’s up. Did you sleep well?”

Buffy nodded. “Yeah, pretty good.”

Spike scoffed. “Glad you did, I was treated to a symphony of snores.”

Buffy’s mouth dropped indignantly. “I do not snore! Mom, tell him!”

Joyce shrugged, a grin tugging on her lips. “I don’t know…I’ve heard some distinct snore-like noises coming from you before.”

Buffy glared at her mother who just patted her arm and silently offered her a cup of coffee, which she accepted.

“Well,” Giles began, “today I think Joyce and I are going to stop into town and pick up food and anything else we need. Do you want to come?”

Buffy looked forlornly out at the beach. “Nah, I think I’m gonna stay and hang out by the beach. I haven’t done that in a while.”

“I’m gonna come with,” Spike piped up. “I want to see if I can find an extra swimsuit. But first, Buffy and I are going for a run.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “Oh yeah,” she said, remembering their brief conversation before sleeping.

“Yeah,” Spike replied grinning, “And I’ve got a trail all picked out for us. Come on, get dressed.”

Buffy scowled at him but complied, walking back into the room and fished through her clothes for a shirt, shorts and socks. She dressed quickly in the bathroom and brushed her teeth and hair.

She slipped her running shoes on and met Spike by the front door.

“Ready?” He asked, tying his shoes.

“Yep,” Buffy answered while stretching.

“Let’s go!”

***************

“Ha!” Buffy said with triumph. Her breath was ragged but she didn’t care. She’d got the ten bucks. “I win.”

“Bloody…hell,” Spike panted. “What did they stick in your coffee?”

“It’s the trail,” she told him, “it’s so pretty…helps me move.”

“That’s a soddin’ contradiction,” Spike accused as the dragged themselves into the house.

“Whatever. Dibs on shower!” Buffy yelled and ran into the bathroom, slamming the door shut.

Spike stopped. “Bloody hell,” he repeated. Although, Buffy in the shower wasn’t helping him either. All throughout the run he’d been watching her, every detail from the way the muscles in her legs flickered as she ran to the way her face looked, shining with perspiration and cheeks flushed. That, Spike decided, was the reason he’d lost. He’d been too entranced by the bloody bint. The only pestering question was why.

**********

Actually, Buffy was beginning to realize, taking a shower was kind of stupid since she was going swimming anyway. She stepped out a few minutes later and pinned her hair up as much as she could and changed into her favorite black bikini. Simple yet skimpy enough for tanning.

Grabbing her towel and a bag of chips, Buffy put her flip-flops on and went to find her mom. Joyce was sitting on back with a book in hand, reading intensely.

“Hey, I thought you guys were going to town?” Buffy asked, sitting next to her mother, chomping on chips.

“We are,” Joyce answered, taking a fist full of potatoes chips, “but William needs to take a shower first.”

Buffy nodded. “Okay, well I’m gonna go to the beach.”

“Wait,” Joyce said and patted the spot Buffy had vacated. She cautiously sat back down, watching her mother carefully.

“I just wanted to make sure everything is okay,” Joyce said, reassuring Buffy it was nothing bad. “I know you and William don’t get along that well…”

“We’re fine,” Buffy said quickly, “really.”

“I know, it’s just…” Joyce paused, “are you okay? Moving and everything was hard for you but sometimes…I feel like you’re sad and I don’t know why.”

Buffy swallowed. “No mom, I’m fine. Just…I miss Faith sometimes.” The lie about being okay came easily, which only made Buffy feel guiltier.

“Oh, well maybe she can come down sometime,” Joyce answered hopefully.

“Yeah, I’d like that,” Buffy said and realized it was true. She did miss her cousin, her best friend and the only one who knew the whole story. But that was a downside as well, she wasn’t sure if she was ready to face all of that.

“Well,” Joyce stood up, seeing Rupert waving from inside the house, “I think they’re ready. You sure you don’t want to come?”

“I’m sure,” Buffy answered, picking up her towel. “Buy something yummy for me!” She called out and then walked down the steps to the beach. She surveyed the area and spotted a large wood raft about twenty feet out in the water. It seemed like a good place to sit and tan, she decided.

Gingerly, Buffy stepped into the water, shivering. It was freezing, possibly beyond freezing.

“One, two, three!”

On three, she dove in, the cold water shocking her skin. Buffy broke through the water, sputtering and chattering. Good god was it cold! She treaded water for a few minutes, trying to warm up slightly before swimming over to the raft.

Climbing up the rusty railing, Buffy shivered again as a breeze danced across her skin forming goose bumps. The raft was warm from being out in the sun all day and after a little while, she dried off and warmed up slightly.

Somehow, Buffy found herself drifting off to sleep only to wake up with her skin pink all over.

“Great,” she mumbled to herself, poking her arm and watching it turn white then red again. “Yep, I’m burnt.”

She sighed and glanced back at the house. They weren’t back yet but judging by the sun, she must have fallen to sleep for about an hour or so. With her skin radiating heat, it felt uncomfortable sitting out in the sun, and Buffy stood up to jump back into the water when something Faith had once said came back to her.

B, skinny dipping is the closest to heaven you’ll ever get. Try it.

At the time Buffy had backed out, mostly because they’d been there with Faith’s flavor of the week and his dumb friend who was supposed to be Buffy’s date. But now…

She quickly untied her top and pulled off the bottom half before jumping in. Once again, the cold water was shocking and it took a few minutes to adjust but once she did…

Holy shit, Faith was most definitely right.

Buffy lazily swam around the raft, enjoying the water caressing her bare skin. It was freeing with an underlying sexy feeling to be so exposed. She floated on her back, using her hands to propel herself. Her eyes closed and she breathed deeply.

She wasn’t sure how long she lay like that, floating around the raft, but eventually she swam around a little, even doing laps.

She giggled at the thought of what her old gym teacher would say if she saw her. The woman had been a neurotic neat freak and had specific rules on what was appropriate and what wasn’t. She’d have a heart attack at the sight of her best swimmer doing naked laps.

“Buffy!” She blinked and stopped swimming. Did someone just say her name?

Buffy looked up to see Spike in swim trunks setting his towel down. He waved again at her. “Summers!”

Oh no, no, no, no. Buffy could feel her whole body clenching and heart hammering. Spike was swimming towards her now and all she could do was panic. When had they gotten home? Had she been so oblivious she’d missed it?

“Hey, Summers,” Spike said as he reappeared from underwater much closer to her. “Didn’t you hear me?”

“Uh,” Buffy said, slowly moving away from him. “No.”

Spike frowned at Buffy’s slightly pink and worried face. She looked deathly afraid and her eyes kept flickering to the raft half in front of her. “How long have you been out here?”

“Um…” he was coming closer now, only a mere ten feet away. “Afternoon.”

Spike’s frown deepened. “What the bloody hell is with you?” She kept backing away and behind the raft.

“I’m, uh, swimming, busy,” she stuttered, her eyes wide.

Spike ducked underwater and swam closer. When he popped up next to her, Buffy shrieked and slid under, moving away.

“Summers, what the hell is your problem?” Spike demanded.

“I’m just…I wanna be alone!” She nearly shouted.

Spike froze, watching her with a mixture of fear and annoyance. “Fine, be alone I don’t…” he trailed off as he noticed her shoulder had a tan line from a strap, but the strap wasn’t there. A devilish grin spilt across his face. “Summers…” he spoke slyly, “are you topless?”

Immediately, Buffy’s face went bright red. “N-no,” she stumbled over her answer.

Spike’s grin widened. “Yes you are. I never in a million bloody years would have ever thought you’d be an exhibitionist,” he chuckled slightly.

“Spike…stop,” Buffy muttered, shutting her eyes briefly out of humiliation. When she opened them again, Spike had moved from ten feet to about three feet in front of her. Too close. Her heart sped up and she swallowed hard.

“You. Are,” Spike said and then to prove his point he reached out and touched the tan line on her shoulder. “See?”

Buffy was fairly certain Spike could hear her heartbeat by now and her breath which was coming in short pants. A skittering bolt of heat shot down to her core. Oh god, she was getting turned on. Bad, bad, bad Buffy, she admonished herself.

Spike’s finger still lingered on her shoulder and of its own violation, it seemed, the digit slowly moved to her collarbone, fingering it slightly.

“Uh…” She had to stop this. “I’m not wearing anything at all.”

Or that was one way to do it.

Spike reeled back and stared at her, eyes wide. “You mean…?”

She nodded miserably. “I’m naked as the day I was born. Please, Spike, just go.”

Topless, Spike could handle, but the very thought of Buffy swimming there wearing nothing, leaving her completely bare…oh fuck.

“Right,” he managed. “I’ll go. Er, your mum wanted me to tell you she bought a bunch of sandwich stuff, in case you were hungry.”

“Okay,” Buffy said, her voice tiny, “I’ll, uh, do that.”

Spike nodded and swam off. He wanted to get as far away from the very, very tempting-ness of Buffy naked. From her smooth naked flesh being only a foot away. God he really was screwed.

Buffy, with fumbling fingers, grabbed her bikini from the raft and put the two pieces on. She swam back to shore and shakily made her way up to the house. She could only hope that Spike would erase the whole incident from his mind.