Author's Chapter Notes:
thanks soooo much to all the reviewers and readers! Reviewers-wow I'm so glad you all like this story! thanks so much for taking the time to review it. And, of course, thanks to my beta!
Chapter 5: School Day Part II


“Summers, Buffy?”

“Here,” Buffy answered promptly, pulling out a new notebook and pen. It was time to be super student Buffy.

The teacher glanced up, looking a little surprised. “Well, it’s always nice to have new students in my class. Why don’t you come up here and introduce yourself.”

Buffy swallowed uneasily and slowly stood up, making her way to the front of the class. With a deep sigh, she turned to face the unfamiliar faces.

“Um, I’m Buffy and, uh, I’m from LA,” she turned to the teacher. “Anything else?”

The woman shook her head and motioned for Buffy to sit down. “Welcome to Computer Class. Now, everyone turn to page 20 in your textbooks…”

The teacher prattled on about how computers worked and Buffy tuned her out a little, letting her mind wander.

Her classes had been okay and despite the fact she was a couple weeks behind, most teachers had been accommodating, giving her time to make up the work.

The door opened and everyone glanced up and the teacher trailed off with a frown at the newcomer.

“Well, Spike I’m glad you could make it to class,” the teacher crossed her arms with a raised brow.

Spike gave her a deceptively charming grin. “Sorry Ms. Calendar, got held up by Snyder.”

“That’s Principal Snyder,” Ms. Calendar corrected and pointed Spike to the empty seat, of course, next to Buffy. “Sit down, Giles.”

Spike grudgingly complied, slumping into the desk, his legs sprawled outward and knocked Buffy’s knee.

“Sorry,” he mumbled before resting his head on the desk.

“It’s fine,” Buffy mumbled back, wishing she didn’t have a class with Spike Giles. She already saw him at home, why did she need to see him at school?


**********************************

“Ah…fine American cuisine,” Xander commented as the three new friends sat down at an empty table, trays in hand.

Buffy made a face at her mushy meat. “What is this supposed to be?”

“I think meatloaf,” Willow said, poking her own blob with her fork.

“Whatever it is, it’s definitely not real meat,” Xander announced, taking a bite of the ‘meatloaf.’

Both girls stared at him in horror. “Did you just eat it?” Willow asked, shocked.

“What?” Xander said through a mouthful. “I’m hungry!”

Buffy grinned despite her dismay and took a sip of her juice. She was amazed at how close she was to the Willow and Xander after only knowing them for less than a day. They were kind, sweet and welcoming and Buffy could feel her nervousness about being the new girl melting away.

“…tonight?” Willow asked Buffy and she shook her attention back to the redhead.

“Sorry, what was that?”

“Do you wanna come with us to the Bronze tonight? It’s the basically the only club here in Sunnydale,” Willow repeated.

“Oh,” Buffy paused, twirling her fork, “maybe. I don’t know. I still have some unpacking I have to finish.” Okay, it was a partial lie but there was a difference between hanging out with people in school and out of school.

“You have to come,” Xander wheedled, “We’ll throw you a welcome party.”

Suddenly, three trays plopped down next to Buffy, temporarily ending Xander’s attempt at persuading Buffy to go out with them.

“Hey,” Willow greeted the newcomers with a smile.

“Hey Wills,” a thin brunette with a Texan twang replied and then gave Buffy a smile. “Hi, I’m Fred, you must be Buffy.”

Buffy nodded, feeling a little awkward. “Yep, I’m Buffy. Nice to meet you.”

“I’m Wesley,” the dark-haired, apparently British guy besides Fred piped up.

“A-and I’m Tara,” the second girl with dark blonde hair and a shy smile added.

As soon as they sat down and started eating, the conversation started up again about the Bronze.

“You have to come tonight. It’s ‘stomp a cockroach, get a free drink’ night,” Fred gushed, popping a grape in her mouth.

“Cockroach?” Buffy asked dubiously.

“Yep,” Willow nodded for confirmation. “It’s a nice deal though. After all, who can resist the allure of free drinks?”

“You’re just saying that because you’re the best foot-stomper,” Xander muttered darkly.

Fred and Wes snickered at Xander’s sullen expression and Buffy tried to suppress her own laughter.

“Okay, okay,” Buffy relented with a little grin. “I’ll come tonight.”

***************************************

Buffy had to admit her new friends weren’t the most popular people around and were a far cry from Faith’s so-called friends Buffy’d hung out with in the last year.

But they were the kind of people Buffy actually wanted hang out with and be friends with. They were genuine and didn’t pull off some act, trying to be someone they weren’t.

“Here,” Willow handed Buffy a slip of paper with a phone number on it. “This is my phone number. Call me and I’ll give you directions to the Bronze.”

The two girls were slowly walking out of the building, relishing the warm afternoon sun. School had ended only a few minutes before and Willow was walking Buffy out before the Computer Club’s meeting.

“Hey,” Buffy asked suddenly, turning to face the redhead. “Do you guys have a cross country team?”

Willow nodded. “Yeah, Fred’s on the team. Do you do long distance running?”

Buffy shrugged, her eyes drifting to the track where she could see clumps of people standing. “A little. I’ve never been on a school team though.”

“Maybe you could ask Fred to ask the coach to let you try out,” Willow suggested.

Buffy nodded absently, still watching the runners in the distance. “Maybe I will.”
Her newfound love for running had helped her clear her mind and work through her frustrations. And it helped her forget…for a little while; letting her focus on her breathing, her pace and that burn in her muscles.

“Hey,” Willow began with a little frown. “Where’s your ride?”

Buffy shifted in her spot, reaching up to tug on a strand of her hair. “Actually-“

She was cut off as Spike, in a swirl of black leather and faint smell of smoke, brushed past her, bumping her shoulder. “Come on, Summers,” he muttered.

Willow watch with wide eyes as Buffy moved towards Spike’s car. “Spike’s your ride?”

“Um…” Buffy fished for some kind of explanation but the only one that made sense was the truth. “I’m sorta…living with him.” Or maybe that didn’t really explain much.

“Let’s go!” Spike snapped, leaning out of his open window.

“I’ll call you later,” Buffy promised as she slid into the car.

“You better,” Willow warned, still watching the blonde with a confused look.

Spike pulled out the parking spot with a squeal and sped off, leaving skid marks on the asphalt.

“That,” Willow said out loud, “was really weird.”

***********************

Buffy’s arms were crossed over her chest, wary as Spike violently turned out of the parking lot. “You know,” she began, “you could have been a little nicer.”

“To who?” Spike asked, his eyes still fixated on the road.

“Willow,” Buffy answered.

Spike rolled his eyes. “You’re point?”

Buffy shot him a confused look. “I thought you guys were friends.”

Spike shrugged. “We are, I guess.” His tone was casual, as if there wasn’t anything wrong.

“You’re an idiot,” Buffy told him with a glare.

Spike jerked the car to a stop and turned to face the blonde girl beside him, his eyes sparked with anger, his jaw set. “What the hell is your problem, Summers?”

“You!” She shot back. “Does it kill to be nice to your friends? I get it, I really do. You’re mad because your ho of a girlfriend broke up with you after, what, seven years? But you can’t just be an asshole to everyone forever!”

There was a deadly silence in the car as both blondes stared at each other, waiting.

Finally Spike spoke, his voice tight, filled with barely controlled anger. “Get out of my car.”

Buffy blinked. “What? No!”

“Get the fuck out or I’ll throw you out,” Spike told her. His expression was so serious, Buffy, feeling humiliated, slowly opened the door and stepped out.

Spike reached over to shut her door and then pulled away from the curb without a second glance behind him.

Buffy watched him drive off in shock. “Well,” she said out loud, “How the hell am I gonna get home?”

She stood there for a few minutes, hoping maybe god would listen to her for once but no such luck.

With a sigh, Buffy put her backpack on and started the three-mile walk to the Summers-Giles house.


A/N: I know what you’re thinking: Spike is such an asshole! Why??? Here’s the answer I can give you: both Buffy and Spike have their problems they have/are dealing with and they will work through them but be patient, it takes time.
Also, don’t worry Spike’s behavior will change a little soon. Thanks!