Author's Chapter Notes:
I would really apreciate any reviews you might have.This is my first Spuffy story so please be gentle.

Disclaimers: All the characters belong to Joss Whedon and the name of the story is a song by the Dire Straits.
Prologue: Sunnydale High

Buffy Summers sat huddled in a corner in her room listening for any noises outside her door. ‘I’ve got to get out! Now! Now! NOW!’ she thought to herself as she swayed back and forth never changing her rhythm or pattern.

She felt trapped, concealed inside herself, unable to escape from her dark hole of despair. There she sat until finally she was sure no one was around. She stood and peeked outside her door. Satisfied that there was no one there she left her room and entered the one across the hall.

As she entered the room she heard whimpering coming from the bed. She saw her 12 year old sister Dawn curled up under the blankets thankfully unharmed. She quietly crept over to the bed and lay down beside her younger sister of 2 years. There she lay cuddling with her sister dreading the next day as though it was going to be the day she were executed. Though not as severe, she still dreaded the day completely, her first day as a freshman in high school. Finally she crept back to her own room and fell asleep preparing herself for the next day.

**~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~**

September 1st, 2005: First day of High School

Buffy Summers woke up to her alarm clock buzzing in her ear. She got up, took a shower, got dressed in a red and black halter and silver mini skirt. She went downstairs and started to make breakfast. First down was her brother Angel. He set the table and helped her dish out breakfast before the others came down. Angel Summers was 16 years old. He had been Quarterback of his High school football team in LA and was sure he would be the new star at his new school Sunnydale High.

Buffy and her family had moved from LA that summer a few months after her mother, Joyce Summers had died from a brain tumor. She hadn’t met anyone yet because of all the unpacking that had to be done, not that she was looking forward to meeting anyone. Since her mother had died, her father had become more and more depressed as time went on. Soon he started to drink alcohol to forget his problems. At first it was only a little but soon he grew to depend on it. That’s when the abuse started. He never harmed Angel because he was his star son. Angel knew nothing about the abuse and that’s the way Buffy wanted it to stay. Dawnie occasionally got a bruise or two, somewhere that could easily be covered and would heal quickly. Buffy got the most of it, some from taking the blame from her sister and piling onto her. Now he occasionally hit Buffy. He mostly just called her names because he had started to blame her for her mother’s death because she was the one that had found her. Buffy knew that deep inside he knew it wasn’t her fault and that partly he blamed himself so she tried not to hold it against him what he did to her.

Finally Hank Summers made his way down the stairs, sat at the table with his breakfast sitting in front of him, Buffy sitting across foam him eating hers. Once he had finished eating and Angel had gone upstairs to wake Dawnie he looked up at Buffy. He took one look at her outfit. “Good idea to give the town a heads-up that they’ve got a new world class slut in their town,” he said. Then he walked to the side of the kitchen and grabbed his jacket shoes and bag and walked out the door for his first day of work at his new job as a lawyer at a company called Wolfram and Heart.

A few minutes later Angel and Dawn came down the stairs and Buffy went upstairs to do her final touches to her make-up and grab her stuff while her siblings ate their breakfast together. She heard Angel calling her and made her way down the stairs to the foyer as he and Dawn made their way out the door. They drove past the Jr. High School, where they dropped Dawn off and made their way towards the High School.

They parked in the parking lot near the entrance of the school and as Buffy started to get out of the car, Angel grabbed her arm. “You’ll do fine, Buffy. Try not to worry about it being your first day at a new school. Just try and have fun and make some friends.” “Yeah, you say that but you’re not the one who’s starting her first day of High School in a completely new town, knowing no one. You’ll fit right in with all the rest of the jocks. Where will I fit in?” she asked. “Come on let’s get inside, don’t worry about it, you’ll make friends in no time.

Buffy and Angel made their way towards the school walking side-by-side, Buffy, trying to look tall and proud beside her brother although he was over two feet taller than her. Together they made their way into the school and towards the office where they would receive their schedules, meet the principal and officially start their first day at Sunnydale High.

**~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~**

Sunnydale High School

The receptionist at the office handed them their schedules and directed them to the principal’s office. “Not all of us are like him” she stated, before she opened the door and announced their presence.

Angel and Buffy sat down in two chairs set up across from the desk. The principal sat in his tall chair (which made him look amazingly small) polishing a shiny golden name plate which said ‘Principal Snyder’. Suddenly the tiny man stood up. As Buffy studied him she found that the tiny man bared a remarkable resemblance to a troll. “Welcome to Sunnydale High” he said loudly. “I know all about you’re history Ms. Summers and I’ll be watching you very closely. A lot of educators tell students, 'Think of your principal as your pal.' I say, 'Think of me as your judge, jury, and executioner.' Now go to you’re first class, and if you cause any trouble, remember, I’ll be hearing about it.”

Buffy and Angel left the office and walked into the hallways. They looked at each other and Angel said “Well that was interesting.” “Uh-huh,” replied Buffy. “C’mon,” said Angel, “I’ll help you find your locker.” Angel and Buffy made their way to Buffy’s locker and Angel left her there while he went to find his own.

As Buffy unlocked her locker and started to put her stuff inside, a nice looking red-head came up beside her. She opened her locker and then looked over at Buffy. “Hi, I’m Willow, Willow Rosenberg.” “Buffy Summers,” Buffy replied. “Are you a freshman?” Willow asked. “Yeah, I’m from LA.” “Well, I’m a freshman here too but I know my way around a bit so maybe I could help you find you’re first class,” said Willow. Buffy looked at her great fully. “Oh God, thank you so much, that would be great.” “I’m not really God, but hey I’ll take it.” Buffy handed her, her schedule. “Oh good, you’ve got two of your classes today with me and I think you’ve got a couple with my friend Xander this afternoon. Maybe I could introduce you later. C’mon first class we’ve got now is English.”

Willow and Buffy made their way towards the English room. As soon as they entered the class full of students the room went completely silent…

*****~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*****

Please tell me what you think.