Author's Chapter Notes:
same deal- dont own 'em, dont sue me :)
Frustrated, Buffy slammed her stuff into her suitcase. The man, or whatever he was, was a monster. She had to get away. As she threw everything in the bag, the claustrophibic panic rose in her chest, so she felt like she could barely breathe. Rather than gathering her things, she bolted for the door, determined to break it down. When she found it unlocked, she didn't think twice about taking off down the hallway. She raced to the front doors instinctively, but skidded to a stop when she saw the boards nailed over them. "What the...?" She trailed off, realizing that her desperate bid for freedom had been useless.

"Structurally unsound." Came William's voice from behind her. Buffy didnt turn around, but instead slammed her hand up against the door. "Someone got the idea that this place could come tumblin down at any time, so they nailed 'er up tight." He said calmly, keeping his distance. When Buffy spun around, William saw the anger in her eyes, he could practically see it coming off of her in waves. When her eyes locked on his though, the anger turned to fear. Before he could say anything, she had taken off running.

Buffy stumbled and nearly fell twice, but her panic was pushing her to keep going. With no knowledge of where she was going, Buffy took a quick turn and ended up in a courtyard. When she heard the footsteps pacing up behind her, she made a quick decision to hide. Glancing around, her gaze fell on a large pillar that was off to the side of a great fountain. Buffy hid behind the wide column, waiting to hear him enter the room. When he did, Buffy held her breath, willing her body completely still. She heard him take a few steps forward, and then she nearly sighed with relief when the footsteps retreated once more. Not wanting to push her luck, Buffy stayed plastered against the stone pillar, and began formulating an escape plan in her mind. At the far side of the courtyard was a high wall, that appeared to lead to the side of the building. Buffy was studying it from her hiding place, looking for anything that could serve as a hand or foothold. Realizing that her flip-flops would be of no help, she silently glanced down at her feet, to wiggle her toes free from the shoes. Her plan was shattered though when she heard his voice, from practically next to her.

"A long way down from that wall there love, the fall could kill you." He practically purred. Before she could bolt again though, he latched onto her arm and half dragged her behind him. Utterly confused now, Buffy bit back her stinging comments, and went along reluctantly, not wishing to incur his wrath. He led her down the hall to the chapel again. Buffy didn't other to hide her shudder when they entered, and William surprised her by releasing her arm and pacing up to the stone altar. "Come here, there is something I want to show you." Buffy remained stationary.

"M'not gonna bite kitten, please." He said, and Buffy heard something in his voice, something she hadn't thought possible from the ruthless being. She silently stepped towards him, but kept a safe distance. "Your friend was right, you know." He said softly.

"Willow?" Buffy said, hesitantly. The man nodded sadly.
"They damned me." Despite her hatred for him, Buffy recognized a pain in his eyes, and something inside of her reacted to him.

"What happened?" She asked, after a long pause.
"Years before I was even born, the priest in this church did some bad things. He tortured and killed people, in this very place."

"But this is a church!" Buffy interrupted, in total disbelief.

"Children who came to study the gospel under him, women who came to him as nuns, he killed them. Many believed that he sacrificed them, after handing their souls off to Satan himself." Buffy nodded mutely, looking around the room. "The townspeople found out, and dragged him from the altar of his own chapel one sunday, hanging him in the center of the town for all to see. When he had died, they burned his body. Some say they scattered the ashes over this estate, while some claim that Satan had taken everythign left of him, that there were no ashes to find."

"I don't get how any of this relates to you though" Buffy said, pulling herself out of the trance that his voice had created.

"My mother" he said, his voice dropping to a whisper. "I didn't have a father. She was an odd bint, out of her mind. Her name was Drusilla. We lived along, reclusive-like for most of our lives. Instead of bed-time stories, she taught me magic, spells, and curses. To be honest, I always thought her a bit daft. Well, one day, someone came across her witchcraft, and she was dragged out before the entire town. She publicly denied the allegations, and then pointed at me. Fed 'em some story 'bout having been raped by the Devil himself, and that I was his son. She claimed I had forced her to do it. Fired up by her words, the crowd then fell upon me, and dragged me, bound, to this very place. 'Return him to Hell where he belongs!' they cried. That was when I felt the first knife bite into my flesh. My mother ignored my screams, and turned away. Within a few minutes, it was all over. I lay on the altar, my body broken and torn, knowing I was about to die. They all left me there, and I died alone...or would have." He trailed off.

Buffy remained motionless, horrified by the story. As she looked at the altar closely, she thought she saw something. Without even so much as a glance at William, she approached it slowly. As she got closer, her hand flew up to her mouth and she gasped in revulsion. Blood was trickling down the sides of the altar. "Oh my god..."

"Mine. Something about this place, some black magic or deeper evil took me then. I've been trapped in this limbo within the confines of this place. I dont age, I dont feel, I dont exist. At least not until you got here." Buffy spun around to face him.

"What do I have to do with this?" She said, temper igniting in her words. Somehow though, William knew that her anger was directed more at the people that had done this, rather than him.

"I don't know what it is, but I know you felt it too." He said almost desperately, taking a step towards her. She quickly stepped backwards, keeping a safe distance.

"Are you a ghost?" She asked quickly, her face somewhat pale.

"I never died." He said, the sadness creeping back into his voice.

"The eyes watching me, the getting through locked doors?" She said accusingly.

"Parlor tricks, stuff my mother taught me when I was young. S'all black magic. I don't like using it, but for the past hundred years, s'been all I had."

"And making yourself look like my boyfriend?" She spat, hands on her hips.

"Didn't do that one love." He said, shrugging his shoulders. "I have never been able to change my appearance. You wanted to see what you saw."

"I dont believe you!" She cried, lunging at him. He didnt step away, or even so much as raise a hand in self defense. She struck him square in the chest.

"Its true pet. There is something much deeper here. That first time we kissed, that we really kissed, right after you saw, actually saw me for the first time, it was like I was alive again." He said, grabbing her by the shoulders, urgency in his voice.

"So you are keeping me here because of that?! You raped me, and kidnapped me so that you could feel good?" Tears began to flow from her eyes as she struggled.

"Buffy, love, believe me, I didn't want to hurt you."

"You are really sick, you know that?" Her eyes were like daggers, she was furious now. "You mother wasn't raped by the devil, she was a whore! And a coward! You are the one who is truly evil--you forced me, you took my body! You deserved what you got, now you need to leave me the hell out of it!" She raged, striking him across the face with her hand. Caught off-guard, William was momentarily stunned. He took a staggering step backwards, and Buffy raced off again. Rather than chasing her, William let her go, and walked slowly up to the altar. Like every time before, when he reached the altar, the searing pain returned. The coldness of near-death came over him. Rather than stepping back to escape the torture, he fell onto his knees, and let the hurt wash over him. He knew death would never come for him, but he welcomed the pain.