Author's Chapter Notes:
You guys don't really show that you are patient :D. Anyways, wait and see is all I can say.

Once again for all the reviews!
Chapter 2: Yeah…run

Buffy stared at her hands. She knew this was going to happen. She was going to marry this man.
Someone jerked at her arm, pulling her up and placing her next to Liam and her father.

“I am very honoured to become a member of your family.” The young man declared.
Hank smiled and replied: “My daughter is lucky to have you.”

All Buffy could do was stare and smile. Her mind was working overtime. What was she going to do? Was she really marrying this man or was there an option of escaping?

During all her thinking, Buffy was congratulated by several couples and some who requested her to help them with organising their dinners. She politely declined those.

The evening ended. Some of the guests went home and the few who came from afar, including Liam, retired to their rooms. Buffy made sure most things were already cleaned up properly. When she was done, she went to her room as well.

For a long time Buffy didn’t go to bed. Her maid Jane came to get her dress, while Buffy sat in a chair staring at the dancing flames in the hearth. When Jane was about to leave Buffy asked: “Jane, what do you think of my engagement with Liam?”

“He’s an excellent choice. He’s not too old, he’s good at business and he’s very rich,” Jane answered dutifully, “Of course, the downside is that he lives in Jamaica. So we don’t have you with us anymore.”

Buffy nodded. She heard him say that during dinner. It was silent again for a while. Jane still stood close to the door. The girl noticed and gestured that the maid could come and sit in the other chair. The only thing making noise was the fire consuming the wood it was given.
“What did you hear about him in the kitchen?” Buffy broke the silence.

In the corner of her eye she saw Jane stiffen. It wasn’t good to trust rumours, but the rumours spread by Netty, the cook, were mostly true.
“‘M not supposed to tell you, miss.” Jane stated. She hesitated for a moment. Was it fair to keep the truth away? She looked at the young lady in the other chair. She looked calm, but serious.

Jane sighted and finally uttered: “You deserve to know what’s been spread. Netty says he’s very possessive. If he doesn’t get what he wants he becomes this monster and tries until he gets it. I also heard he was married before, but the poor girl committed suicide after a couple of months. The poor girl was only 19 years old.”

Jane peered at her mistress. Buffy still looked calm, but her features were greyish and her eyes were shot open.
“What do you suggest I do?” She enquired.
“If I was in your position, I’d try to run, miss.” Jane said softly before she got up.
“Yeah…” Buffy said wearily, “Run…”

*********

Next morning she was still a bit spent from the stress of the day before. Luckily Jane took over some of her tasks and Buffy could start her morning slowly.
Her head had been grinding the question ‘how are we escaping?’ She still had no answer.

After breakfast Buffy was invited to the office of her father. She had to cross halve the town to get there, she didn’t mind. There was a firm breeze, sweeping her mind clean.

When she arrived at the office Liam and a man she thought was called Henry Jones were also present. Buffy remembered him to be her fathers’ consultant. It also made clear what this meeting was about. Wedding plans.

“Good morning Elisabeth,” Hank greeted her happily, “You remember my consultant?” And he pointed into the direction of the man with grey hair and a big moustache. He looked around the age of 65.
Buffy shook his hand politely. Next she moved on to Liam. “Good morning.” She said slowly.

“Good morning, Elisabeth.” He answered, emphasising ‘Elisabeth.’ When she wanted to shake his hand, Liam brought it to his mouth and placed his lips on her knuckles.
After he finally let go, Buffy sat down next to him, secretly wiping her hand with her handkerchief.

“Great,” Hank said with a loud voice, “Now that we’re all here, let’s get to business. Elisabeth, you know that now you are leaving this household, I am moving to a smaller house?”
Buffy merely nodded.

“I want you to be in charge of that. Everything is paid for, isn’t it Henry?”
“Yes, Mr. Summers.” The old man responded.
“So that should be no problem,” Hank mused.
“Father? No offence or anything, but why are you leaving me in charge?” Buffy asked with curiosity. Her father always said that if he was going to move, he would decorate it.

“Oh right,” Hank muttered, “That was what Liam, Henry and I were discussing before you came in. Liam has recently bought a small farm, planning on growing certain special plants that don’t grow in England or Jamaica. It has very fertile ground and it supposed to be fairly successful. He asked me to be his business partner. To start it up, which is going to take about 4 years, we’re both going to live there and spend time on the project. Of course you are going to live there as well.”

Buffy was surprised. She hadn’t expected her father to start up anything new. It also left a different question: “When are we leaving?”

Before Hank could answer Liam already replied: “Your father and I are leaving in about two weeks. You, on the other hand, are leaving in 3 months. It gives us time to decorate the house a bit and make it livable.”

She hated the way he spoke to her, like she was a 6 year old. But 2 and a half months of freedom made her face lift up.
“When will the wedding be then? 2 weeks isn’t enough time to plan the whole day.” Buffy spoke to her father, ignoring the man next to her.

“I’m not sure when the wedding will be, but it’ll have to wait until we have arrived in America.” Hank said with a smile.

Buffy felt relieve in her stomach. She still had time! After these announcements the men talked more about the new business. Buffy wanted to contribute to the discussion, but Liam seemed desperate to keep her out of the conversation. Every time she wanted to say something, he cut her off.

After three hours the meeting came to an end. Buffy was glad to leave. She went to the harbour to get some fresh air, but she didn’t even bother to look anymore. All she now had on her mind was escape.

“You’re happy aren’t you?” A dark voice said behind her. With one fluid motion Buffy turned around. “You’re happy you still got time. I heard them gossipping in the kitchen. Buffy is already planning on absconding. Funny, eh, how news can reach the wrong ears.” Liam’s voice was lower than normal and had a dangerous edge.

Buffy looked him straight in the eye. “I’m not afraid of you Mr. O’Connor. You try to intimidate me with the dark voice and the invading my private space, but it takes a bit more to scare me.” Her voice was clear and sharp. It showed no sign of fear. And in fact, Buffy didn’t even feel fear. Not in the least. She felt strong.
“I’ve heard some rumours too, you know. A girl, you were married to even committed suicide. I knew you were an asshole. I didn’t know you could drive people that mad.”

Liam smirked at that remark. “Don’t believe everything you hear.”
Buffy snorted: “Yeah…You’re really the one to talk.”
Liam shrugged. “Anyways, to make sure you’re not running away, I’m going to let you be watched when I’m gone. Just to be sure.”
With that comment he turned his back on her.

Don’t think you’ve won Mr. O’Connor. You might have successfully end this discussion, a battle is not a war. And this is definitely war.” Buffy thought, staring again at the horizon.

TBC