Author's Chapter Notes:
So, I'm not gonna tell you anything, except for yet again a big time leap, but otherwise it gets boring. And now you all be happy ^_^
Chapter 4: Pirates!

“Miss, are you all right?”
Buffy mumbled something and turned around in her berth. She was feeling sick. She’d vomited after an hour the ship had reached sea and right now she felt like she wanted to kill her self.

Buffy heard the man retreat. In front of her door was some mumbling. Some one else came in.
“Good day, Miss Summers.” He said.
“Go away!” Buffy yelled. She was feeling miserable. She didn’t want anyone to bother her.

“I’m just here to introduce myself, Miss Summers.” The man answered.
Buffy turned around and sat up. The man was middle aged. He wore normal sailors clothing and glasses. He didn’t look unkind.
“Can’t you introduce yourself when I am sleeping and away from all the misery?” Buffy asked.

The man smiled and answered: “I’m quite sure I can not introduce myself properly, while you are sleeping. You see, when you’re in a sleeping state you are unable to hear me.”
Buffy grunted and let herself fall back.

“I’m Rupert Giles, but most of me call me Giles. I’m the doctor on this ship.” He simply said, looking at her.
“Miss Summers, it helps to take your mind of the fact your feeling miserable.”

“How do I do that?” was the muffled answer.
“By entering a conversation. And since I am the person sitting closest to you, it could be a conversation with me.”

She sat up again. “Alright. But first I’d like to point out you can call me Elisabeth or Buffy. Now, Giles, tell me about yourself.”
Giles smiled and started his story. He told about his youth in London, his parents, how he started his education for healing. He also talked about his wife on the shore.

It was a long story, but at least it distracted Buffy from her seasickness. When he was finished, Giles studied her closely.

“You look better. Do you want to go up to the deck or stay in your compartment for a little while longer?”
She felt better, but she didn’t have the strength to go up. “I think I’ll stay here.” She mumbled.

“Great, I’ll keep you company. Now tell me about yourself.” Buffy hardly had time to protest, since kept on urging her to him something before she could say anything.

“Fine!” She grunted and Buffy started telling the man about her life. She told him everything. She told him about William, about her education. She talked elaborately about her mother. Buffy talked about the time after her mother had died and how she had taken on all her mothers’ tasks. And she told about her war with Liam.

Giles frowned and said: “Yes, I heard Mr. O’Connor is quite an unpleasant man. If I were you I’d try to run.”
“I’m going to run. I’m just waiting for the right moment.” Buffy said softly.
He let out a dry chuckle. “Buffy, running from a ship? That’s madness. How on earth were you planning to escape from a ship and get out of it alive?”

She shrugged. “I don’t know, Giles. I couldn’t run when he was around, because he was watching me. I couldn’t set myself to run when he was gone, because I was guarded all the time and I couldn’t leave my dads’ business unfinished. So, now I’ve set my chances of escaping from this boat.”

Giles studied her face. Buffy really looked determined to leave. And in the few hours they’d spend together, he had grown quite fond of her.
“Alright, I’ll help you.”
She looked up with surprise on her face. “What? Why?” she asked confused.
“Because, I can see you’re a lovely girl and you don’t deserve to have to battle for the rest of your life.”

“Thank you,” She muttered gratefully and hugged him, “You have no idea what this means to me.”
Giles smiled softly. “It’s alright, girl. Just don’t do anything to disgrace my trust. Then everything will be okay.”

*^*^*

Buffy’s seasickness past and things started to look a little brighter. She found a very good friend in Giles, to who she talked to often. They discussed all kinds of things from how he was going to help her to their favorite books.

Life on a ship was regular and most days looked like on another. Buffy spend her time talking to the staff, reading and learning how to navigate a ship. The last thing was the only thing she looked forward to every day. It took her mind of everything. When she was talking or reading she couldn’t concentrate. When she was studying she was forced to concentrate and ban all other things out of her mind. Buffy enjoyed that.

Everyone on the ship still called her Miss. Summers, except for Giles. Buffy didn’t mind, really. The only one she had befriended was Giles, so Giles was the only one to call her Buffy.

One day (the ship was now sailing for about three weeks) Giles was busy helping a man who got him self wounded, while Buffy was looking at him from the side line.
“How can you do this work?” Buffy asked with a disgusted face.
“At first you can’t, but later on you get used to it.” Giles answered.

The man was clearly in a lot of pain. He had a wound on his arm, which he hadn’t had checked right away. The wound had become infected and it started oozing puss. Giles tried the best he could, with the small amount of herbs he was allowed to take with him on board.
Buffy learned Giles was not the most popular man on board.

Later that day, when Buffy was studying, she heard men shouting on deck. Of course that happened a lot, but this was different. It sounded like emergency shouts. Something was attacking them.
Slowly she walked to the deck and had her thoughts confirmed.

Giles approached her quickly.
“Hide!” he urged.
“Why?”
“Pirates!” and off he was.

Buffy ran back into the captains’ cabin. She hid in the wardrobe and shut the door. Apparently she shut the door to hard, because something fell on her head, knocking her out.

She couldn’t remember how long she’d been in that small room, but she knew why she woke up.
Outside were two men walking around and talking.
“I wonder why they wouldn’t give in. They’re not packed with very important cargo.” said one voice. It sounded low but melodious.

“That’s not what they were really shipping,” the other said. His voice was also low, but with a more raw edge, “There’s something more important here. It’s hidden, but we’ll find it.”

Buffy listened closely. She heard one man approaching and standing still in front of her wardrobe. She held her breath hoping he would pass.

Suddenly the door opened and Buffy tumbled out.

“Uhm…captain, I think I’ve find the special cargo you were talking about.” The man looking at her grabbed her hand and pulled her to her feet.

Buffy heard someone taking place in front of her, but she didn’t look. She was too busy with wiping her hair out of her face and yelling: “Don’t you dare to hurt me, or you’ll get it.”

Suddenly a soft hand was placed under her chin and lifted her up. She looked directly into two familiar blue eyes.

TBC