Author's Chapter Notes:
It's not a very long chapter, but it took me a long time to write. You all can consider it as an interlude.
The title of this chapter and the quote from Faith later on in this chapter is from the book Pirates! by Celia Rees, on which this story is very, very losely based.
It's not the exact quote, because I've only read the Dutch version. But it comes from that book. Just so you know.

Btw, thanks again for all your wonderful reviews ^_^
Chapter 6

“She can protect herself with her fists. And she’s not stupid.”

“How can you be so sure?”
“The bint hit me on the bloody nose.”
“Yeah, but she knows you. Who says she’ll beat a stranger?”

“She’s too girly.”
“You know what? She stays on the ship and we’ll see how it goes. If she’s no good we bring her to a save port. But no way am I sending her back.”

“Fine, but she’ll act like the rest of the crew.”
“Ah, just like you?”
“Shut up! I’ll watch over her. Make sure you won’t do anything inappropriate.”
“Fine, it’s settled then? She’s on trial.”

Everyone nodded in agreement. As soon as the decision was made, everyone went to work.
“We’re sailing out right now!” William shouted and went to his quarters.

Buffy had been waiting on the sideline. She knew what was going to happen, but it scared her.
“Here.”

She looked up and saw another girl dressed in men clothes standing in front of her. She had thrown typical sailor clothing in Buffy’s lap.

“You have to put it on. You’re part of the crew now. Or at least you’re on probation.”
Buffy smiled weakly. “So I’ve heard.”

The girl held out her hand. Buffy shook it friendly.
“My name’s Faith Lehane.” The girl introduced herself.
“Elisabeth Summers,” Buffy answered, “But most call me Buffy. Please call me Buffy.”

Faith smiled and pulled her up. “Come on! I’ll show you around.”

As soon as Buffy was dressed Faith dragged her all over the ship, introducing her to the crew. Buffy noticed they were studying her, but she just acted friendly. When some of the men started to make obscene jokes, she just laughed and joked back with just as obscene things.

Faith had an amused smile on her face. She liked this little rich kid, who had just come on board.

*^*^*^*^*

“So tell me your story.” Faith demanded as they both were laying their hammocks. The place were they slept was secluded from the rest of the crew. Because as Faith noticed, ‘they may be part of the crew, men will be men.’
“What story do you want to hear first?” Buffy asked lazily.

“I don’t know. How’d you meet Spike?”
“Spike?”
“Ah, of course your actually one of the very few who still call him William.” Faith said.
“Apparently.”

“But how’d you meet him?” Faith asked again.
“That’s no story, really. More like a sentence,” Buffy laughed, “My mother was very ill. Always had been. Died when I was 16. Anyways, she tried to teach me manners, but she always went to bed at noon, so the rest of the day I spend on the street with kids from the neighborhood. And one day, a small boy from London came to live here. That was William. I think I was about 6.”

“That was more then one sentence.” Faith observed, “But a nice story anyway.”
“How did you meet him?”
“I lived on the streets and I wanted to quit being a beggar. Well, then you have only a few options left: thievery, prostitution or going to sea dressed up like a men.” Faith started.

“What did you chose?”
“I chose two of them. I went into thievery first. That was quite how I met him. Spike was already becoming a successful pirate. I didn’t know he was a pirate of course,” Faith grinned, like she was having a really nice thought, “but he looked wealthy enough to miss his money. Evidently he caught me. He was really mad at me, but I wasn’t impressed.

He thought I was worthy and asked me to be a part of crew. It took a while to persuade the rest of the crew, but he did it anyway. That’s when I went to sea dressed up as a man. I sometimes wear dresses, but only as a cover-up, so other ships won't notice we're pirates.”

Buffy nodded, although Faith didn’t see her. She wandered about what the other girl just had told her. How long had William been a pirate?
She wanted to ask, but soon discovered that Faith was already sleeping. Buffy smiled and also went to sleep.

*^*^*^*^*

Next day Buffy was assigned her shift, which was to begin late in the afternoon. Faith also had the late afternoon shift and decided to work on Buffy’s sword fighting skills. She soon discovered the girl wasn’t totally helpless.

Buffy was complimented on her footwork. She stole some moves from the dances she had learned during her education. Some men stood aside, watching the two girls circling around each other. William was also watching and smiled softly at the sight.

In the afternoon Faith thought Buffy about the sailing of a ship and all the work they had to do. Buffy found out life on a ship was less boring when you had actually something to do. She enjoyed it. The feeling of seeing only sea freed her from the idea to be caught by Liam. Sea is so big, he’ll never catch me Buffy thought, looking at the horizon with a broad smile.

At night there was a lot of drinking by the ones who didn’t have shift. There was music and songs. Everyone was talking to one and other. Buffy found that she was wrapped up in a conversation with a man every one called Gunn.

She found out he was Williams’ right hand and that he was also first mate. He was in main charge of the navigation. When Buffy told she had learned a bit about that on her way to Florida, Gunn was highly interested. He asked if she wanted to continue her studies and offered her to learn some bit about strategies as well.

Buffy didn’t talk to William all night. She really wanted to, but she felt like there was a barrier, but she couldn’t put her finger on the cause of it. This highly annoyed her. Buffy decided to talk to him as soon as every one went to bed.

It took a long time for that to happen. And when everyone went, Buffy lost him. She went to the place where he’d most probably be: the captains’ quarters.
When stood in front of the door, she took a deep breath and prepared herself for a painful conversation.

William heard a knock on the door. “Come in!” He answered, unbuttoning his shirt. It was probably Gunn who wanted to discuss something before he went to bed.
He was surprised when Buffy came in.

“Hey,” he greeted and he noticed her eyes sliding down his bare chest.
“Hey,” she greeted back, concentrating again on what she wanted to do. “I just came by to see if everything was alright between us.”

“Why wouldn’t it be?” William replied.
“Because ever since I’ve been here we haven’t talked properly and I know you’re not giving me a special treatment or anything and I don’t expect that. I just wish that we didn’t ignore each other.” Buffy said in a calm voice.

He smiled a bit. “Everything’s fine, love. I was just waiting ‘till tomorrow. I wanted to talk to you tonight, but I noticed you were talking to Gunn and you seemed to enjoy yourself. But now that you’re here, how are you coping so far?”

“Good. Everyone’s been really nice to me and Faith has been patient with explaining all kinds of things. And enjoy the sight of the ocean.” She added with a grin.

“Aren’t you mad that everyone on this ship has blood on their hands?” William asked almost with disbelieve.
Buffy shook her head. “No, I’m not. Everyone here has a different story, but I can tell most of your men are good at heart. Circumstances have driven them to piracy, but it doesn’t make them evil. Some of the legal ships are more horrible than any pirate ship that has ever sailed the sea.”

William nodded in agreement. He’d been on such a ship, but he wasn’t going to tell Buffy that just yet.

“Anyways, I better get going.” She said, “We can talk more later on.” Before she left the cabin, she turned around and asked: “What kind of nickname is ‘Spike’?”
“What kind of nickname is ‘Buffy’?” William retorted. He earned a scowl. To sooth her he added: “I’ll tell you later on.”

TBC