Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks a lot for all the nice reviews! Here's the next chapter. Be amazed and astouned ^_^
Chapter 1: Movements

It was a sunny day. There was a light breeze which covered the town with a fresh, salty smell from the sea.

Buffy was standing on the quay looking at the incoming ships. When the wind hit her face she inhaled the air as deeply as could. When she had finally reached her toes, she exhaled. She let her eyes skim one more time through the harbour, but she had to be disappointed.

“Still no luck?” a voice from behind asked her. Buffy turned to see her friend Xander waiting for her.

She shook her head. “I wasn’t really expecting,” she answered, “It’s been 7 years. He’s not coming anymore. Either he has forgotten about his promise or he died from scurvy or something comparable.”

Xander noticed a glint of sadness in her eyes. He knew this William had been her best friend for years, but had left for sea with the promise to come and get her. It hurt Xander to see his friend so sad. Everyday, for 5 years now, they went to the harbour to watch out for William and he never came.
Of course, after a year Buffy stopped with really looking. It just became their daily trip to the outside world.

But today was special. Today Buffy really had hoped to see William. She just had to see him one more time. But it was no good, she decided, she had to go before she went insane.

On their way home they chatted about the special dinner tomorrow.
“Are you nervous?” Xander asked curiously.
Buffy shot a dark glance. “Of course I’m nervous. It’s a big day. No, it’s THE big day. Everything has to go well.”

Xander smiled. She might not be the prototype of a lady, at least not when he first met her, but she had kind of ladylike features now cast over her. It was inescapable.
He knew what kind of answer he would get, but he still asked it: “Do you want everything to go well?”

Buffy had to think about this question. It was silent between them for a while. They were already near the bridge when Buffy finally answered.
“Surprisingly, no. I hope everything is ruined and all is put off.”

Xander searched her face with a smile, but found out she was serious. He couldn’t believe his ears. She really didn’t want to this.

“Do feel like you are forced?” he asked carefully. Buffy looked like she was about to cry.
She nodded and said softly: “Yes, but what choice do I have? I have to obey.”
Xander felt compassion for the girl. She really did look unhappy.

*********

The day of the dinner had arrived. Every one seemed to be in a big hurry. The last preparations in the kitchen were made and the dining room was being specially decorated. Buffy was the lady of the house, since her mother died 4 years ago, so she was in charge of the whole party. It freaked her out greatly. If something was to go wrong, the family’s reputation was ruined and at this point she really couldn’t deal with that.

Buffy was showing early arrived guests around and made sure everything was ready in time. She made sure the maid-dresses were ready. They walked around in old clothes, but for this occasion they had to have proper working clothes, to make a good impression on the guests.

It was one of Buffy’s ideas. She also made sure her fathers’ suit was ready and she had to worry about her own clothes as well.

About two hours for dinnertime, Buffy changed her dress and had her hair done. It was a simple white dress, with a light flower motive. Her hair was up in a knot, but some tendrils had escaped and now were hanging loosely around her face.

Now there was nothing left to do, but to entertain the guest until dinner. She had some chitchat with the wives of the colleagues of her father, who complimented her on her outfit and on how the sitting room was decorated.

Buffy didn’t say much, she just smiled and nodded along. After a while she went to check on dinner and told every one that dinner was ready.

Her father also had finally arrived and sat at the head of the table. Buffy wanted to take a seat in between the guest, but Hank requested his daughters present, so she sat on her fathers right side.

Appetizer were served and every one seemed to be delighted. A special kind of mushroom was served and it was filled with different herbs. Light chatter filled the dining room. And Buffy was happy everything was going so well.

The man at the other side of her father studied her closely and it made her nervous. Every once in a while she looked up and she caught him staring at her. He wasn’t ugly. He had dark brown hair and warm brown eyes. He looked muscled. The only thing she hated about him was the stupid smirk on his face.

Around the 4th course her father started to make conversation with the both of them.
“Dinner is lovely Elizabeth,” he said with a gentle smiled, “Don’t you think so Liam?”
The man looked her straight in the eye. “Yes, Hank. Absolutely wonderful.”

Buffy had the feeling he wasn’t talking about the food, but responded like he did anyway. “Thank you, mister….”
“O’Connor,” the man said quickly, “But you can call me Liam if you want to.”

Buffy imitated her sweetest smile and said in a polite tone: “I’m not accustomed to call guests by their first name, unless they are friends.”
Hank was a bit surprised, because he didn’t miss the annoyance shimmer through her voice. Liam on the other hand clearly missed it.

“Alright, Miss Summers. We’re going to get know each other then.” He announced.
Without the smile leaving her face, she said: “I would love too, but my governess taught me that it is not proper to speak during a course.” It was silent for a while, until the servants brought in the next course. “Would you look at that, the next course?”
Liam looked slightly vexed. Buffy smiled inwardly and kept score.

Later on, after dinner, Buffy went to join the other ladies in their chitchat and genuinely liked it. Everything was better than to spend time with that sleaze ball, Liam. Buffy looked around and saw that sleaze ball talking to her father. They were both laughing and shaking hands.
When drinks were served, Hank Summers wanted to hold a speech.
“My dear guests, thank you for coming to the dinner, my daughter organized. I hope you all enjoyed it.”

Some clapped lightly and Hank carried on: “Of course, there was a special reason that I invited you here tonight. The announcement I am about to make it very important and it also makes me very happy. Tonight it is my pleasure to announce the engagement of Liam O’Connor and my daughter Elisabeth Summers.”


A/N: *tum tum tum* What will happen? I'll tell ya, if you review ^_^ (Yes I am mean)