PART 3

******************************************************* ( meantime)
Buffy was in what had been her room for three months.
She was packing her things, because Spike and her wouldn’t be staying there for too long: the blond wasn’t at his ease in the same building as Angel; it was a matter of respect for him, that’s why he had suggested spending a few days at a hotel nearby, till they could find an unpretentious apartment.
Someone knocked on her door.
Buffy was amazed to find out it was Cordelia.
“ Buffy, can I ask you something?”
“ Sure Cordy, what’s the matter?”
“ I was wondering… how is a relationship with a vampire?”
“ W… what?”
“ Oh, c’mon, you’re the only one who can give me the answers I need! I mean, is he so cold that when you hug him you freeze? Maybe if you kissed him could he vamp out and cut your lip, or…”
“ Hey, calm down!” Buffy interrupted her.
“ Why all these questions about vamps all of a sudden? You’ve never been inter..…” then, she cut herself off as she figured it out, gasping.
“ ANGEL!” she exclaimed, almost yelling.
“ Hush! There’s no need to let all L.A. know!” Cordelia commented sarcastically.
“ Yeah, you’re right: I fancy him, since he’s moved here. When we were at Sunnydale, I just feared him, but now I got to know him better! He’s gentle, protective, and in this town you * do* need protection; he treats me like a person and not like a lame bimbo, as many of they guys I have dated did…” the brunette explained.
“… plus, he’s gorgeous! Believe me, I dated almost all the most stunning football players at school, but no one compares to him!” Cordelia said with a sigh.
Buffy hadn’t spoken yet.
“ Anyway, are you angry ‘bout it? After all, you two broke up, he’s been single for a while…” Cordelia justified.
Buffy smiled.
“ Angry?! For what? Cordy, I’m happy if you like Angel! I want someone to be close to him, he deserves it…” she explained, then she became serious.
“… but I’m afraid you two can’t be together, not because of you; just because of him: you forgot his curse!” she reminded her sadly, waiting to see Cordelia grieving once she had brought her to the harsh reality.
Instead, the brunette looked at her as if she came from another planet.
“ You don’t know yet ?”
*********************************************

“… so, now your soul is permanent!” Spike exclaimed after Angel’s tale.
A huge fear took Spike over.
“ Does Buffy know?”
Angel understood what Spike was getting at.
“ No, she doesn’t, and I don’t think it would change anything: she hasn’t chosen you over me ‘cause she thinks she can’t stay with me; she did it ‘cause it’ s * you* she loves now!” Angel admitted, amazing Spike who would never expected to hear him saying that sentence; just from his eternal rival, but paradoxically also the person who knew him better than anyone else.
“ And you know what? I’m not even sure if I still love her. I mean, a part of me always will, sure! But the other part has seen how much she has changed through these years, she’s more mature and she finally knows what she wants from her life: she is no longer my girl, she is your woman, so… treat her very well…”
Spike couldn’t believe it.
“ Are you… giving me your… benediction?” he wondered astonished.
“ You know… when Buffy left to stay alone, Dawn and I had a long chat about you, Spike. I didn’t know about your double cross with Dru, when she came back, to save Buffy; I didn’t know about the tortures you faced rather than tell Dawn’s secret to that Goddess … I didn’t know that after Buffy’s death you remained there, giving comfort to her little sister and helping people who didn’t even consider you a friend then, not even a person! And about your soul… I thought it was just to impress Buffy… just as I thought yours was just an obsession for her, not love! Now, I realize how wrong I was: you have really changed, and for her love! Well… Angelus was proud of William the Bloody… I’m proud of you, Spike!” the elder vampire confessed as the other didn’t dare to say anything, listening to him with great attention.
“ No one can see us here, right?” Spike asked, taking a look around furtively as he approached.
“ Right…” Angel assured him, wondering what he was planning to do, before the bleached blond hugged him for a second, mumbling a weak ‘ Thank you ‘.
Immediately after, he separated.
“ It was just a bloody moment of weakness; never tell anyone!” Spike summoned him, leaving the room.
“ You bet, I’ve got a reputation to defend!” Angel struck back, before Spike departed at all.

TBC