Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the wait, folks. Enjoy!
Drusilla approached Buffy when it was no longer avoidable. She waited impatiently for the smaller woman to finish talking with Andrew, one of Warren’s assistants. He’s lucky he found a job in LA. Nowhere else in the world would anyone want their meals cooked by a revolting little homo. And she’s no better, chatting up the clients like a cheap slut. Do women these days have no decency?

Buffy turned to face the PR coordinator with the utmost reluctance, though she kept a polite smile on her lips. “What can I do for you, Drusilla?”

“I’ve finished the final schedule for the customer’s PR activities this week.” Her voice was haughty and cold. Buffy had to repress the urge to shudder when the dark eyes flicked down to meet her own, the scorn there evident.

“Thanks, it’s greatly appreciated.” She hated sounding so formal, but she couldn’t think of another tone of voice to use that wouldn’t betray her urge to smack the glossy, sneering lips in front of her. Buffy decided that treating her with detached professionalism would be the least problematic way.

Dru, however, merely sniffed and stalked away. Gritting her teeth, she turned away. Calling Wesley over, she forced her muscles to relax before she got a headache. When the butler immediately arrived at her side, she took a deep breath to calm herself down.

“Wes, after I’ve handed these over to Harmony so she can RSVP where it’s needed I’m gonna go hide out in my flat for half an hour. Give me a buzz if you need anything?”

“Of course.” He smiled, the first proper smile she’d seen on his naturally serious face. Feeling her bad mood lift slightly, she beamed in reply before he strode away. She was about to track down Harmony when she heard a timid voice at her side.

“She’s just jealous, you know?” Willow looked at her boss uncertainly.

“Um, who are we talking about now?”

“Drusilla. She’s just jealous because Mr Gi- I mean Spike- was checking you out.”

“Oh, skanky vamp ho. Gotcha.”

Willow giggled. At first she’d been kind of nervous about approaching the blonde; after all, the woman was their boss, even if she looked like she could use a friend. When she’d seen how friendly Buffy had been with Wesley, however, she’d decided to risk it. The truth was, she was in need of a friend too. Anya was all well and good, but her bluntness was a little disturbing at times. Buffy was so blessedly normal.

“Huh? What sorry?” She blushed, the pink clashing with her fiery hair colour as she realised that she’d been too engrossed in her thoughts to hear what Buffy had said to her. To her relief, the blonde giggled and repeated herself.

“I said ‘what kind of man is attracted to that sort of woman anyway’. Are you done with your work?”

Willow jumped, suddenly nervous again. “Um, yes Miss Summers, but I can find Anya and help her out, or I can go visit with Tara and see if she needs anything, or I could help out in the kitchen, I’m sorry I should be working, I’ll get on it right away and okay I’m babbling now aren’t I, sorry Mi- What?”

Buffy raised a gold eyebrow, giving a bemused smile. “I was just wondering how long you could talk for without starting a new sentence or taking a breath, that’s all.”

Willow blushed again and began muttering apologies, making her boss laugh and wave a delicate hand dismissively. “I only wanted to know because I could use some company. I’m going back to my flat for a break as soon as I’ve delivered these to the Skank-In-Training. Um, I mean Harmony.” She coughed nervously.

It was Willow’s turn to laugh. “I prefer the first one. And that would be nice. I’ll just go and tell Wesley.”

As Willow sought out the butler, Buffy sighed and went to find Harmony. The bitchy blonde had a private office, situated at the far end of the suite. Buffy knocked briskly and entered without waiting for an invitation. The secretary looked up at her from the huge leather chair and scowled for a moment before giving a sickly sweet smile.

“What can I do for you, Miss Summers?”

Buffy plonked the sheets of paper down on the desk. “Drusilla finished the PR schedule, so could you respond to all the invitations, with positives only for the ones she’s checked.”

“Yes, Miss Summers.”

Biting back a snippy retort, she turned and walked rapidly towards the door, where a smiling Willow was bouncing eagerly on the spot. Buffy couldn’t help but giggle; the redhead reminded her of an eager-to-please puppy. The two women left the suite together. Willow broke the companionable silence the moment they were out the door.

“So, what’s your flat like?”

Buffy grinned, fishing the key out of her pocket. “Have a look for yourself.” She unlocked the door and pushed it open.

They stepped into the neat hall and Willow gasped. “Oh wow! I thought it’d be smaller and dark and horrible and stuff, but it’s beautiful!”

Buffy grinned, tugging the redhead behind her into the kitchen. As though it was scripted, there came a loud gurgle as both women’s stomachs announced themselves at the same time. They looked at each and broke out into giggles. Buffy moved to the cupboard.

“Well, looks like its time to feed the animal.” She patted her stomach gingerly before beaming at Willow. “I have cookies!”

The redhead surged forwards, snatching the bag and peering inside. Four enormous, double chocolate chip cookies stared back at her. She gave a squeal of delight, following a smirking Buffy through to the living room. The blonde collapsed onto the comfortable couch with a whimper of ecstasy, while the redhead went and stood by the enormous window, giving her a view of most of LA.

Willow threw her boss a cookie and they munched in happy almost-silence for a long moment before they gave simultaneous sighs of contentment. They looked at each other with wide eyes before collapsing into giggles again. Willow came and plonked down on the couch, drawing her legs up so she could face Buffy, who imitated her.

The blonde spoke first. “How long have you been working here?”

“About two years, I think. I studied to be a preschool teacher, but it was taking so long to find a job I could get to easily.” At Buffy’s questioning look, she continued. “My only method of transport at the time was my boyfriend Oz’s van.” She blushed prettily. “We used to live in the same neighbourhood, so he used to give me lifts everywhere. We live together now, but I can walk here in about twenty minutes.”

“Anyway, I couldn’t find a job that wouldn’t put him too far out of his way, ‘cause he was always late for band practice as it was.” She blushed crimson this time and Buffy laughed, giving her a wink. “So one day I was walking past here and I saw the notice for a maid. I didn’t want to try at first, this was the Hotel Elise, you know? But then this girl came outside and saw me looking at the sign and told me to go for it.”

Again in response to Buffy’s raised eyebrow. “It was Anya. And so I went for an interview the next day. This was right after Cordy and Angel got engaged, so they were still a little unsure about the personal interview thing. But they made it really relaxed and comfortable, I got the job and I’ve been here ever since. What about you? What brought you to the City of Angel?” Willow giggled at Buffy’s confused expression.

“You mean the City of Angels.”

“Nope. The City of Angel. It’s what we call the Hotel.”

Buffy grinned. “You’ll have to teach me the slang so I know when you lot are insulting me. Well, I was born in a one-Starbucks town called Sunnydale, a couple of hours from here. My dad left me and Mom when I was eight to come and live here. He’s a businessman now, I guess.” Willow made an inquiring noise. “I haven’t seen him since my fifteenth birthday.”

“Mom got sick a few years ago and had to go into hospital for six months. If she hadn’t, she would have died. Anyway, she had to move into a home when she came out, in case she had a relapse. So I sold the house to help pay for the fee, though there were grants and stuff we got too, and moved to LA.”

“My degree was in business studies, more specifically hotel management, so I rented a disgusting little roach-infested apartment and got a job as an assistant manager in a nearby hotel. About two months after I started working there, the manager resigned and I got the post. I moved out of the apartment, thank God, and shared a flat with my sister’s friend. I moved around a couple of times, always in a management job, but I got bored pretty quickly.”

“So I came here, obviously not thinking I was gonna get the job, but the rest you know. It was kinda wiggy at first, you know, having a whole team to manage, but you guys are pretty cool. You’re like my own personal Scooby gang.”

Willow laughed. “So, no significant other in your life, huh?”

Buffy blushed. “Not really. I’ve had a few…” She paused, remembering the ill-fated night with Parker. “Flings here and there, but nothing serious.” She smirked. “It’s a pity Angel’s taken, really. He’d be a catch and a half.”

The redhead giggled. “Don’t say that around Cordy. She’s sweet as long as you stay on her good side, but she’s a scary lady when she’s riled, let me tell you. This time last year, one of the maids, Amy, from the Crown.” Buffy raised an eyebrow. “The penthouse suite, made a move on Angel.”

Willow’s face took on a half fearful, half awed expression. “Cordy totally freaked. She shouted for everyone to hear that the Hotel Elise didn’t want to employ sluts like that, and that if the girl didn’t leave immediately, she’d be sued for sexual harassment. Then she picked Amy up, actually lifted her off the ground, and threw her out into the street.”

Buffy’s eyes widened as her mouth dropped open. “Whoa. I am so glad that I stuck to admiring the rock. Remind me to stay on her good side.”

Both girls reached for another cookie. Buffy looked somewhat mournfully at the now-empty bag and Willow sighed wistfully. “Them’s good cookies.”

Buffy took a bite, nodding enthusiastically. She swallowed, the grinned wickedly. “So what’s this boyfriend of yours like then, Will?”

Willow blushed. “Oz. He’s a musician, he plays guitar in a band called Dingoes Ate My Baby.” Buffy snorted with laughter, trying to smile around a mouthful of cookie. “Yeah, I know. That’s what I did too. But hey, I love him anyway. He’s kinda quiet, so people think he’s stupid, but he’s not. He’s just stoic and sensitive…” Willow’s eyes turned dreamy. “And he does this thing with his tongue that just-”

She cut off, blushing furiously as Buffy collapsed in laughter. “This thing with his tongue, huh?” Suddenly she remembered Spike leaning against the wall, said organ curled up behind his teeth as his eyes burned hotly, just for her. She felt a throb between her legs and shifted, sighing. “I can relate.”

When Willow choked on her cookie, Buffy turned beet red. “Not personally! It’s just Spike did this thing earlier, when we were outside…” She trailed off at Willow’s suddenly gleaming eyes. “What?” she asked, somewhat nervously.

“You and Spike, that’s what! I may be totally in love with Oz, but I have eyes. You could do a lot worse.”

“Willow! He’s a customer and a celebrity and a… a customer!”

The redhead smirked. “You said that twice. But he won’t be a customer forever.” She pointed out with a raised eyebrow.

Buffy shook her head. “No no no! There’s nothing there, really.”

Willow raised both eyebrows. “Denial isn’t just a river in Egypt, evidently.”

Buffy pouted then looked at the clock. Willow finished her last section of cookie as her new friend rose with a groan. “Time to get back to work. C’mon, let’s see what the Scoobs are up to.”

Willow smirked again. “I say Drusilla’s the dog.”

Buffy’s laughter followed them out.