Chapter Two The Question Game

Buffy drank her tea while watching Spike through her lowered eyelashes. She realized everything changed just five minutes ago. He was no longer just a customer, but something else. She wasn’t sure what, but that was something she wanted to figure out. She was only twenty years old. What was she doing here anyway? She was looking for friendship, someone new to talk to and he seemed interesting enough to take on. She joked around with him to let him know that she was comfortable and that made her more at ease. For a girl whose life had pretty much been non-existent since she was fifteen, she was flattered that this man desired her. What an adjustment.

“How old are you?” Buffy asked. She sat up straight on the bar stool and watched his every move, as if she was memorizing it.

“I just turned thirty four.”

Buffy nodded and looked down at her tea. What the hell am I doing here? She asked herself. There must be something wrong with me.

Spike poured himself another glass, “Is that a problem?” He watched her eyes. “And if it is, you just remember this was your idea. Not mine.”

“Are you done?”

“Excuse me?”

Buffy hopped off the stool and walked towards him. “I said are you done? I didn’t say anything that would make you think that I was freaking out, did I?”

“Well … no.”

Buffy smiled a little, “Okay then.”

Spike’s breath caught. She was so close. All he had to do was dip his head and he would claim her lips as his own.

She was the first to walk away, sauntering back to her chosen stool.

“Ok, what’s your story? I told you mine, it’s only fair.”

This was something that he was hoping to avoid. Maybe, somehow it could have been. Not likely.

Spike nodded at her and started his way to the back porch, where a pool and jacuzzi could be found. Buffy refilled her glass and followed him out there. She quickly claimed a seat while pulling up another chair to prop her feet on.

“Make yourself at home why don’t you?” Spike said as he sat across from her.

“Already done.” She smiled sweetly at him.

Spike cut to the chase. “What do you want to know?”

“Are we playing the question game?”

“I’m sorry?”

Buffy played with the hem of her shirt. “You know the question game. Where someone asks a question and you have to answer. And it has to be the truth.”

“Sure, go ahead.”

Buffy looked as if she were thinking again. She put down her feet and placed her elbows on the table, laying her arms in front of her.

“Are you married?”

“No.”

“Why did you call her your wife and not your ex-wife?”

“Habit.”

“How long have you been divorced?”

“Two years.”

“What happened?”

Spike sighed and leaned back in his chairs. He looked to the sky as if it was going to answer it for him. He finally looked back at her.

“I was …am an alcoholic.”

“I see. Do you see your son often?”

“Haven’t seen him since the day before she left.”

“Day before?”

“She left in the middle of the night. Woke up and they were gone.”

“What are their names?”

“Winifred and my son’s name is Matthew.”

“Pretty.”

“Yea …”

Silence broke through on the so called question game. Buffy looked at her nails and Spike had pulled out a cigarette but instead of lighting it, he played with it. Buffy looked up from her inspection and watched him. He looked deep in thought.

“You don’t have a job, do you?” Buffy asked.

“No …” he answered and lit the cigarette. Spike took a long drag and looked at her.

Buffy took his cigarette from him and took a drag from it, “Care to elaborate?”

“You smoke?”

“Sometimes.” And with that, she handed him back the cigarette.

They talked for a little while longer, though the topic of conversation wasn’t his job, nor lack thereof. They talked mostly of things that weren’t important. Spike asked if she was hungry and she jumped on that. She was starved.

Spike had finished his dinner already and was watching her finish her meal. He went to light another cigarette and she stopped him.

“You know that’s rude, I’m still eating.”

“My house …”

“I don’t care, that’s rude. I don’t want to be smelling smoke while I eat.”

“You were just smoking.”

“So? I wasn’t eating then.”

“Fine …”

Buffy smiled and watched as he put the cigarette away then went back to her food.

“What would you say if I asked you to stay the night?” Spike asked.

Buffy looked up at him but didn’t say anything.

“I mean I was just …”

“I can’t.”

“Oh …Oh, okay. That’s fine.” He got up and put his dish in the sink, rinsed it off and stuck it in the dishwasher.

Buffy sat there looking at the rest of her plate, got up and followed him. She washed her dish off and got herself a refill on her drink.

“My mom would so flip. She already flipped because I’m here.”

“Oh, so you would if …”

“Yes.”

Spike smiled at that.

Buffy finished clearing of the rest of the table for him while he went to go check his email on the computer. It was weird. Here she was in this guy’s house, clearing off his table. Shouldn’t he be doing this? Was this a date now? Before she had just thought that it was getting to know one another for the prospect of friendship. She knew that was all shot to hell when he asked her to stay the night. She doubted he wanted her to sleep in the guest room while he slept in the bedroom.

Buffy made herself at home and plopped on the couch. She turned on the television and channel surfed until she found MTV. She was surprised that they were actually playing videos instead of their shows. Buffy leaned back, propped her feet up and found herself singing along to some pop song. Spike came back out then.

“Oh, I see you’ve made yourself comfortable.”

Buffy smiled at him still singing. Spike laughed and sat next to her. Reaching for the remote, Buffy put it out of his reach.

“At least wait until the video is over.”

Spike sighed and sat back looking at what was on the screen. Hell, he couldn’t complain, the bint in the video was barely dressed. She looked nude at some parts with little sparkles on her. Yea, he’d watch this with her.

When the video was over, she handed him the remote.

“There you go.”

“Yea, thanks.”

Spike took his turn looking through the channels. Nothing really interested him these days. He barely watched TV so he was just taking a chance to find something that he actually liked.

“Hey! Friends! Put it back.”

Spike grinned. “Nope …”

“Oh, come on please …”

Spike sighed and turned it on letting her catch a glimpse.

Buffy laughed. “Smelly cat … smelly cat …”

Spike turned the channel again and surfed the stations.

“Why did you do that? That’s like a tease.”

“Give me a kiss and I’ll turn it back,” Spike said as he looked at her.

“What …huh? A kiss?”

“That’s what I said …”

“I never thought I would whore my lips out just to watch a TV show, but I’m sure you have no taste in shows, so I guess I’ve got to …”

Spike waited. “Well?”

“Well what?”

“You gonna kiss me already?”

Buffy raised an eyebrow and gave him a look, “I’m not coming to you, and besides, you’re supposed to come to me.”

“Fine with me …” And with that he turned his body and reached and pulled her on his lap.

“Now, now …someone’s having dirty thoughts …”

“Not dirty, just wanna …” he sighed, “Fuck it.”

He placed his hands on her waist and pulled her on his lap. Brushing a stray strand of hair behind her ear, he kissed her cheek, then her forehead. Buffy’s head was spinning already and he has barely done anything. Finally he did. Spike dipped his head and kissed her. Slow and barely a peck, then pulled away. Buffy opened her eyes.

“That’s it?”

“You wanted more?”

“Yes … I mean, no, I mean …”

Spike kissed her again, nibbling on her lower lip. She parted her lips and his tongue darted inside and found hers. Buffy wrapped her arms around him and he took full advantage, laying her down on the couch. He leaned over her and placed another kiss on her lips and she moaned. He sat up a little and got situated beside her. His hand was rubbing over her stomach, eventually going under her shirt, and working its way up her silky smooth skin. He watched her face then leaned down and kissed her neck, swirling his tongue there.

Once his hand had reached the underlining of her bra, she stilled her movements and gently pushed him away. He sat up leaning against the sofa, and she sat as well, breathless.

Spike reached for his pack of cigarettes on the coffee table, “Did I do something wrong?”

“No.”

“Oh.”

Buffy sighed. “I just met you. You think I’m going to let you feel my goodies?”

“Your goodies?”

“Uh, yeah …my goodies. My good goodies. Filled with …goodness.”

Spike challenged her, “But one day I will, right?”

“Maybe.”

That’s all he needed. He put back on her desired TV show, but it had already ended. Then he heard a whine. Looking at her he saw a pout.

Buffy crossed her arms, “You did that on purpose, meanie.”

Spike laughed and handed her the remote, “You watch whatever you want, as long as you come over here and let me hold you.”

“No hanky panky?”

Spike tried to hide a grin, “No hanky panky.”

“Okay,” she scooted over to him and as he opened his arms for her, she slid right in, placing her head against his chest. Spike wrapped his arm around her and moving his fingertips over her arm. Buffy smiled and they watched TV together.